Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 10:04 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Alright. Java and I gave examples of NON Christian Fundamentalists adopting and abusing children. Give me a couple of examples of Fundamentalist Christians adopting and abusing children.

You can't use THIS story, because this is not a case of adoption, and really, you have no idea (none of us do at this point) what the religious affiliation of this family was.
I will no longer engage in "debate" with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 10:14 AM

50,706 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I personally know two married lesbian atheists who abused and beat their children. CPS was involved for a couple of years before it finally removed them, already scarred for life, and sadly, sent them to live with a lesbian aunt who was obviously and proudly gender confused.

The point I'm making is that it isn't just the Christians. The MSM would like us to believe that.
No is trying to make you believe that. And liberals are Christians, too. I brought up the religion, not to imply Christians beat their kids more than others, NO ONE implied such a thing. But these PARTICULAR people used the bible as a justification to beat their kids. I said I don't understand what brand of Christianity they practice where they think God approves of that. And you somehow twist that into "Liberals hate Christians and want you to believe all Christians beat their kids"?

Old 02-05-2019, 10:24 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No is trying to make you believe that. And liberals are Christians, too. I brought up the religion, not to imply Christians beat their kids more than others, NO ONE implied such a thing. But these PARTICULAR people used the bible as a justification to beat their kids. :
Yes. No one said Christians abuse their children more than others, but there are definitely biblical passages in the Old Testament that advise parents to beat their children. There are also various Christian ministries that advise parents to use beating and harsh punishments. I even posted a link to one of them.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:36 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
[quote=PriscillaVanilla;54349804]Had one response all typed out, but knew it'd get deleted. So...

Anyone else who can think of a story where one of those nutty Christian Fundamentalists adopted a child and then abused the child?

Old 02-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
What a strange site that first link is;

Yeah; Christ had nothing to do with it. That family had a history of child abuse/neglect that pre-dates that 7-year-olds birth. Here's a CPS report: https://dcf.wisconsin.gov/files/cps/...ni-828-90d.pdf

I just read that whole thing. That was heart breaking. Those poor kids.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:29 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No is trying to make you believe that. And liberals are Christians, too. I brought up the religion, not to imply Christians beat their kids more than others, NO ONE implied such a thing. But these PARTICULAR people used the bible as a justification to beat their kids. I said I don't understand what brand of Christianity they practice where they think God approves of that. And you somehow twist that into "Liberals hate Christians and want you to believe all Christians beat their kids"?
How did they use the bible to beat their kids. I thought the son hit the kid with sticks and a belt and kicked him.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How did they use the bible to beat their kids. I thought the son hit the kid with sticks and a belt and kicked him.

Yes, but the guardians were punishing the boy (and siblings, I think) by making them carry logs around the yard, that were almost as heavy as they were, for 2 hours a day. The reason being, they hadn't memorized their verses.

The guardians were leaving it up to the 14 yr. old to enforce the punishment.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:07 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Yes, but the guardians were punishing the boy (and siblings, I think) by making them carry logs around the yard, that were almost as heavy as they were, for 2 hours a day. The reason being, they hadn't memorized their verses.

The guardians were leaving it up to the 14 yr. old to enforce the punishment.
Yes, I dont see how thats using the bible to beat the poor kid. They punished him for not memorizing versus. If they punished him for not memorizing his spelling words would they be using education to beat him.
Words matter.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:24 PM

50,706 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
They didn't physically use it, but the version of Christianity they believe in believes in harsh physical punishments for children who don't accurately memorize biblical passages. It's not the version I or most people believe in.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, I dont see how thats using the bible to beat the poor kid. They punished him for not memorizing versus. If they punished him for not memorizing his spelling words would they be using education to beat him.
Words matter.

I agree with you 2mares.

Implying that this is typical of fundamentalists churches is way over the top. Bad people do bad things. These poor kids came from an all around dysfunctional and messed up family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events