Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 12:51 PM

7,694 posts, read 5,573,313 times

Advertisements

Alberta government self-assessment tool to help determine whether you should be tested for COVID-19:

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Journey/...ssessment.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 01:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,177,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
How will the travel ban on Europe by the US effect us here in Canada? Will people be coming into Canada to try to get over the border? Should we also restrict travel from Europe? I think we should personally.

Restricting incoming travel from all countries could happen if it becomes necessary. https://globalnews.ca/news/6673743/c...ctions-canada/ In the meantime Canada is going to be redirecting incoming international flights to a small number of airports as part of enhanced screening measures. The government also announced it will ban cruise ships with 500 or more people from docking in the country’s ports until 1 July – but stopped short of closing the borders.

With regard to foreigners coming to Canada to try to cross the border into the states, some people might try that, but there's nothing new about foreigners attempting to do that anyway. They still have to deal with Canada customs first and must have valid reasons for coming to Canada to be given clearance to enter Canada. Canada is taking care of its own responsibilities to Canada.

Then if the international travellers want to get into America legally they have to try to clear American customs next. If they try to enter America illegally, well that's a situation that America has always had to be set up to deal with at all of their borders under any circumstances anyway, pandemic or no pandemic. America has its own policies and will deal with that eventuality as they see fit and it would be their responsibility to police their own borders. Canada has no influence or responsibilities with regard to American border policies and policing.

And as has be stated by Patty Hajdu, Health Minister, "Borders don’t stop travellers. Travellers find other ways into countries. Travellers become less honest." Dishonest people don't respect anyone else's policies. Any people who are in Canada trying to cross illegally into America could just as easily be Canadians as they could be international travellers. The only way to really crack down on illegal entry by land into either country would be to completely close off the Canada/USA border with an insurmountable wall with less of the official, manned border crossings than what there are now.

Last edited by Zoisite; 03-14-2020 at 01:32 PM..

Old 03-14-2020, 04:57 PM

7,324 posts, read 9,388,320 times
I think we should close our borders until this is over. It's just a bigger version of self quarantine. We have the benefit of looking at China's experience and Italy's experience and we have a chance of getting a jump on it. The world is a small place and it's not about the individual but the impact it has on friends, neighbours, parents.

Old 03-15-2020, 01:49 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,177,232 times
Yes, I agree. I think it's time we should quarantine Canada and close our borders to all travelers from anywhere. This weekend has seen many more countries announcing the same intention, some of them their quarantine restrictions are relatively loose, others are very strict.

The Canadian government is telling all Canadians who are travelling out of the country to get their selves back home to Canada right now because it will soon be too late for them to leave wherever they are. Spain has shut down as of Saturday. Even the USA is now expanding it's European travel ban to include the UK and Ireland, and I heard Trump telling the press on Saturday that he's now considering restricting travel to and from several American states that are hot spots and may be locking them down completely. No doubt that will soon extend to all 50 American states so there will be no non-essential interstate travel.

I expect that the Canada/USA border will also soon be closed to all travelers from both sides, other than those on urgent business or trains and truckers conducting back and forth transport of trade goods between the two countries.

I found this current (to today) list of all the countries that are now, or will be within the next couple days, implementing travel restrictions, quarantines or complete lockdowns. I anticipate that many other countries will be getting added to this list in short order, since this weekend has seen more countries getting added to the list of confirmed virus cases: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/t...trictions.html

On a more positive note, I watched something interesting on the news. It showed a series of satellite pictures taken over the course of the past few weeks up to now of the air pollution gradually disappearing over the countries that have implemented social isolation, travel bans and the closures of businesses. The atmosphere over China is looking surprisingly clean now since so many industries and vehicular activity has shut down, likewise it's the same thing happening with Italy's atmosphere too.

So maybe if all countries everywhere shut down transportation and social interaction and heavy industries for awhile to deal with the virus it will also help the entire globe to recover for awhile from all the global air and ocean pollution that is happening.

Old 03-15-2020, 02:33 AM

11,443 posts, read 630,438 times
I do hope everyone in Canada stays safe thru this!!

Old 03-15-2020, 06:08 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,557,774 times
Boy this has escalated far quicker than We anticipated. Our departure out of Florida was not scheduled until April 30 but as of yesterday we've moved that up to this Thursday and I'm running around like a blue arse fly now, closing this house down.

Dear wife is updating me periodically from her I-Pad and TV news while I'm hanging shutters and defrosting fridges. We decided to drive home this year to avoid the whole metal tube, petrie dish, incubator, experience and I've got the nitrile gloves for fueling up the car. This year will sure be a different kind of migration north.

Friends are shopping for us at the other end so our plan is to just arrive and self isolate by hunkering down for a couple of weeks of staying home and walking to our mailbox being the only outdoor experience.

This brings a better understanding of the old saying about the plans of mice and men being so easily impacted by higher powers.

As said above; we hope for all to coast through this with being nothing but better educated for the experience.

Best wishes folks.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:59 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,469,398 times
Zoisite.

A bit of a slight correction to what you wrote.

" Customs " deals with the inspection of goods entering or leaving our country. The department that deals with people entering Canada is " Immigration". CBSA does both duties , but with two different groups of employees.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:00 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,458,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think we should close our borders until this is over. It's just a bigger version of self quarantine. We have the benefit of looking at China's experience and Italy's experience and we have a chance of getting a jump on it. The world is a small place and it's not about the individual but the impact it has on friends, neighbours, parents.
Exactly. It won't stop the spread entirely but it will limit and reduce the spread. We have seen this in other places.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:09 AM

7,694 posts, read 5,573,313 times
Spain:
Quote:
In a lockdown similar to the one already imposed in Italy, people will be allowed to leave their homes only to buy food and medicine, commute to work, go to hospitals and banks, or take trips related to the care of the young and the elderly. All schools and universities were closed, along with restaurants, bars, hotels and other non-essential retail businesses.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/coron...orld-1.5498348

I think this scenario is a possibility in Canada or in sections of the country. Plan for the possibility and hope it doesn’t happen.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:17 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,458,506 times
From zero cases on thursday we are now up to 7 here in Manitoba. Most of these people had been travelling outside of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events