Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2020, 10:32 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
So they are saying malaria drugs can be used to treat it. Will having malaria vaccines help prevent catching it to begin with?
There is currently no licensed malaria vaccine, and the ones being tested will be specific for malaria, which is caused by a parasite, not a virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I doubt it. There is only an associative link to malaria.
There is no association with malaria at all. The drug affects the way the virus enters the cell and it also has anti-inflammatory effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 12:02 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Don't go and try to find the anti-malaria med because it is not available because it can cause problems if you don't know the precautions. You could end up causing more problem to your health. The best way to fight corona if you are sick is to keep your fever within limits and increase your zinc intake as early as possible to speed recovery. Most people can recover by a week and another week to be clean of the virus.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:03 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Don't go and try to find the anti-malaria med because it is not available because it can cause problems if you don't know the precautions. You could end up causing more problem to your health. The best way to fight corona if you are sick is to keep your fever within limits and increase your zinc intake as early as possible to speed recovery. Most people can recover by a week and another week to be clean of the virus.
It is RX-only in the US.

If it proves to be useful, I imagine it will only be used in severe cases, or in the case of very high risk patients. Which, in and of itself, could be a turning point.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:14 PM

114 posts, read 56,974 times
Quote:
Actually they’ve already shown in their brief studies that those who try to control their fever with things like Advil or ibuprofen or Tylenol have a much higher mortality rate than those who just let the fever run its course. In fact a few days ago they came out and warned people to let their fever spike and not to take those medications if they become sick with it.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:34 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
The numbers have spiked today, probably due to people being sick have reached out to get tested. What I keep telling people is that under normal circumstances this was about as bad as very contagious flu season. It was in 12-14' I believe we had several episodes of these flu outbreaks around the office. Myself I had the flu and my son had it too, we were both isolated for about 2 weeks. I couldn't go to work, heard a lot of people in the office also gotten the flu too. Some folks had longer duration.

If we compare the number those years, majority of the people over 80% recovered. Many youtube videos are popping out with people who recovered at home with similar symptoms to the normal flu. If that is the case, then your body was able to overcome this virus.

While it killed a lot of people overseas, that needs to be researched just what kind of demographics we're dealing with here. So far, I'm not seeing average Joe or Mary dying from this. It's usually someone who is elderly or have underlying symptoms.
Comparing coronavirus to the inflluenza is an inept comparison at best and general misinformation.

First, the death rate from coronavirus is probably 20 to 30 times as great as from influenza.

Second, we always have a seasonal flu vaccine. We have none for coronavirus.

Third, the disease is overwhelming health care facilities in Italy because of how rapidly it spreads. It has the potential of doing so here in the USA.

You haven't yet heard about "Mary" or "Joe" dying from this because the disease spread first in other countries. If the measures we are taking fail to slow the spread of the disease, we are simply a few weeks behind Italy.

I don't believe panic accomplishes anything and if your post is meant to try to stop some of the panic about the disease, I don't completely disagree. However, there should be profound concern about coronavirus and the general lack of preparedness in the USA to deal with pandemic disease. We may not have known coronavirus was coming, but we should have expected a pandemic of some sort and been better prepared. There should be no shortage of face masks or ventilators.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:46 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It is RX-only in the US.

If it proves to be useful, I imagine it will only be used in severe cases, or in the case of very high risk patients. Which, in and of itself, could be a turning point.
Do they have to prove it first? If someone is sick with this and in the hospital next week could they use it on them? How about the vitamin C infusions that are said to work? Could either one actually be used as of now? Seems it would be worth a try if the only other option is death.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:06 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvguru6338 View Post
Actually they’ve already shown in their brief studies that those who try to control their fever with things like Advil or ibuprofen or Tylenol have a much higher mortality rate than those who just let the fever run its course. In fact a few days ago they came out and warned people to let their fever spike and not to take those medications if they become sick with it.
I concur, if only people have some basic medical knowledge. The mechanism of fever is to reduce the virus reproduction and give your immune system a chance to fight off the invasion. And those who take the fever reducer is holding your body back. The best thing to use when you have a fever is the good old ice bag to keep your head from going over 102F.

I personally don't ever take any fever reducer, I rather sleep it off and let the body fight it.

Recently I'm upping the vitamin D count to 15k IUs and zinc to 15mg for now. Fish oil as always to keep inflammation down.

For exercise, treadmill one hour daily. Also practice inhalation exercise to strength the lung's ability to pull more oxygen. I gather people who live in high elevation probably have a stronger lung but they would need to move to sea level to cope with the coronavirus is they caught it.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvguru6338 View Post
Taking NSAID’s for a fever never made sense to me. Unless it’s dangerously high. Let the immune system do its work.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:02 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
With regards to N95 masks...

From what i read, temps of 140-150F are enough to kill most viruses. Why not stick the used masks into a lab-style drying over than can heat them up overnight at 200-250F?

Old 03-19-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
With regards to N95 masks...

From what i read, temps of 140-150F are enough to kill most viruses. Why not stick the used masks into a lab-style drying over than can heat them up overnight at 200-250F?
They would melt or ignite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events