Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2020, 07:30 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times

Advertisements

Third of the coronavirus cases may be silent carriers

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...ers-classified

Again, the emphasizes the importance of widespread testing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 08:45 AM

853 posts, read 648,447 times
Hi,

I don't have much idea about coronavirus. I'm just a spaniard in panic because we are living a real nightmare, our country has never been so bad since Civil War. I am writing here because I have two questions and I would appreciate if you can help me. You can call me ignorant or whatever, but my hope in this stressful situation is that someone can help me and my family to protect ourselves, my parents are above 60.

1) Having said that, yesterday I watched in the local TV that a high viral load can be lethal to anyone, even if the individual is not among the population with risk factors. They defined "high viral load" as being exposed to several viruses at once. They gave the example of being in a crowded underground with 10 people around you infected coughing at you so 10 viruses, "coronaviruses", are infecting you at once. They claimed this could have devastating effects in your lungs. Observations in Spain and Italy. Is that true?

2) Pharmacies ran out of masks. Which mask should we buy and where to get them?

Thank you very much for your support.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:57 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Yes, I think it is safe to say the higher the viral load, the more dangerous it can be. Say you are healthy and young. You could get sick by being around a bunch of people who are spreading the virus, but not get sick if you were just around one sick person for a short period of time, your body could fight off the smaller invasion.

In most cases, the older you are and the more pre-existing conditions you have, the easier you will get sick with less viral load.

No idea where to get masks, they are very hard to come by.

You have to do what you can with what you have. We just have dust masks (probably can't get those anymore either).

We are going out next week to shop for groceries. Will wear the dust mask, and seal with duct tape (should be a sight), and wear glasses. Choosing the motorcycle glasses because they wrap around. Maybe gloves, taking hand sanitizer. When we get back we will strip, throw clothes in washer, and then shower.

You can wrap a scarf or bandana around your mouth and nose. If someone sneezes directly in your face, it probably won't help, but could reduce the exposure of your respiratory tract general situations.

I count on nothing to "protect" me, just reduce my exposure, so the first mandate is staying 6 feet away from people.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-22-2020, 10:43 AM

13 posts, read 4,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The data the world is working with is off.

If real cases exceed 10x+ reported cases, that also means that death rate and hospitalization is 10x+ lower than reported.

It's easy to get freaked out about Italy. Until we learn they had infected in the millions, on top of an already bad flu season. And then it all makes more sense.

The unknown is killing us at the moment. Data and research will illuminate shortly.

This is exactly what I have been struggling with. The facts and numbers we are being given do not make sense logically. Consider...

1. We are told the numbers of infected people is likely much higher than the reported numbers because of lack of testing and the slow rollout of testing. It has likely been very high for awhile now. We've only just started clamping down on social distancing and we don't really do it that well. Consider the recent spring break and the mobs of people in Costcos and supermarkets. Consider that earlier this year we have had the Super Bowl, Mardi Gras, CPAC convention, large political rallies since it's an election year, etc.

2. We are told it has an incubation period of 14 days with the majority showing symptoms showing in 5 days. Hence the 14 day self-quarantine.

3. We are told it is "optimistically" 10x worse than the seasonal flu with more alarmist predictions after that.

How can ALL of these three things be true? We would be seeing hospital overload already! All these positive cases didn't just materialize here in the past week. We have had MANY 2 week cycles now with massively more people who are positive for this than our numbers show.

Out of those three points above, I think #1 and #2 are pretty rock solid at this point. I think everyone agrees that there are far more people who have this than the numbers show due to lack of testing and I think the 2 week incubation period has been pretty well established. That leaves #3, I think the death rate is much lower than we think it is.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:54 AM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Depends if they perform autopsies on those who died outside of the hospital and/or test if they died from covid-19

Here's one story I'm following. The NOLA nurse that tested negative for flu, had a covid-19 test on Monday and sent home. They found her dead in her home Friday. Her test results have not come back yet.

They are not doing autopsies in Italy..too many bodies. If you die other than in the hospital they are wrapping the body in protective plastic and cremating them.

https://www.sunherald.com/news/coron...241398536.html
Her test results have still not come back. The Orleans Parish Coroner's Office has not released a cause of death; state health officials have not said whether they believe it was a case of coronavirus.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:12 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewidde22 View Post
This is exactly what I have been struggling with. The facts and numbers we are being given do not make sense logically. Consider...

1. We are told the numbers of infected people is likely much higher than the reported numbers because of lack of testing and the slow rollout of testing. It has likely been very high for awhile now. We've only just started clamping down on social distancing and we don't really do it that well. Consider the recent spring break and the mobs of people in Costcos and supermarkets. Consider that earlier this year we have had the Super Bowl, Mardi Gras, CPAC convention, large political rallies since it's an election year, etc.

2. We are told it has an incubation period of 14 days with the majority showing symptoms showing in 5 days. Hence the 14 day self-quarantine.

3. We are told it is "optimistically" 10x worse than the seasonal flu with more alarmist predictions after that.

How can ALL of these three things be true? We would be seeing hospital overload already! All these positive cases didn't just materialize here in the past week. We have had MANY 2 week cycles now with massively more people who are positive for this than our numbers show.

Out of those three points above, I think #1 and #2 are pretty rock solid at this point. I think everyone agrees that there are far more people who have this than the numbers show due to lack of testing and I think the 2 week incubation period has been pretty well established. That leaves #3, I think the death rate is much lower than we think it is.

European countries ARE reporting overload on their medical systems, so is New York and Washington.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-22-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewidde22 View Post

This link - posted earlier on the thread and referenced by Stylo - has a very good description as far as understanding the numbers go. Definitely worth reading.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...bruary/608521/

Old 03-22-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Hi,

I don't have much idea about coronavirus. I'm just a spaniard in panic because we are living a real nightmare, our country has never been so bad since Civil War. I am writing here because I have two questions and I would appreciate if you can help me. You can call me ignorant or whatever, but my hope in this stressful situation is that someone can help me and my family to protect ourselves, my parents are above 60.

1) Having said that, yesterday I watched in the local TV that a high viral load can be lethal to anyone, even if the individual is not among the population with risk factors. They defined "high viral load" as being exposed to several viruses at once. They gave the example of being in a crowded underground with 10 people around you infected coughing at you so 10 viruses, "coronaviruses", are infecting you at once. They claimed this could have devastating effects in your lungs. Observations in Spain and Italy. Is that true?

2) Pharmacies ran out of masks. Which mask should we buy and where to get them?

Thank you very much for your support.
Jorge,

First of all, my sympathies and best wishes for you, your family, parents and country!

As a non-medical person, my understanding of the high viral load is that testing for infection shows not only positive and negative but that the nasal swab samples in positive tests also include a measure of how much viral load (quantity/strength of the virus?). And, they have correlated the higher complications / deaths with those positive tests where the viral load is higher. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...232-2/fulltext

We are in the no mask situation in the US as well. Speaking for my own condo building, we are organizing to start making our own. These will, obviously, not be N95 masks - but they are definitely better than nothing. In fact, the US hospitals are so short of masks, there have been appeals for this type of home-made masks here. If you or someone in your family has access to a sewing machine - there are a lot of details available on the internet.

Hope this helps. All the best!

Old 03-22-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Third of the coronavirus cases may be silent carriers

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...ers-classified

Again, the emphasizes the importance of widespread testing.
A Nature article making the same? similar? point:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00822-x

Old 03-22-2020, 11:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Iceland’s test everyone project is showing that 50% of the NON-symptom residents tested HAVE the virus
So if they don’t know and don’t isolate then they shed contagion everywhere they go...

That is why Dr Fauci is SO DANGEROUS in not asking for testing/tracking
He is condemning many more people to catch this disease and perhaps die

People are going to work in “essential industries” because they think they are not contagious
NO WAY TO KNOW if they are or not based on science....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events