Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 10:57 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
I have another question. Here the TV says masks are useless unless you have symptoms, but if you are asymptomatic but a carrier, wouldn't you infect others? My parents are over 60, what if I am a carrier and I infect them?
As far as I know from speaking to various doctors since I've worked at healthcare. I'm not a healthcare pro but masks are a front line defense against airborne pathogens like viruses. It is not 100% effective since viruses are microscopic at the micron levels even smaller than bacteria. However, they can't just spread to you on their own. They need a vehicle such as a water droplet to carry them. Having a N95 mask can shield you from droplets in the air for only a certain amount of time. Once you stay too long or wear them too long in an infected area the viruses collected on your face mask eventually gets through. N95 is a dust mask.

But, where it helps the most is preventing the spread. Doctors typically wear them because it prevents their germs from spreading to patients especially when they have open wounds. You should wear them if you have elderly at home that are very susceptible to being infected. It will prevent the spread in case you are infected and don't know. That's how most elderly get infected by people who visits them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 11:14 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewidde22 View Post
I think there is a middle ground here. Just because there is no evidence simply means that there were not studies done on the subject to provide such evidence. That does not mean there is no potential benefit and that people should not try them if they are prudent about it and safe. Things like green tea and and garlic have many known health benefits and while I doubt they prevent or cure something like covid-19, I really can't imagine how they would not improve someone's outcome from it.

What I mean by middle ground is, I think we are capable of avoiding the true scams and snake oil nonsense that people might post on Facebook but we can also recognize that supplements and healthy foods actually DO BENEFIT people and telling them to avoid them or not to take them is irresponsible as well.
Zinc is not a supplement, it's a necessary nutrient for antioxidation. Green teas have been consumed for thousands of years and been shown to promote health due to the EGCG's antioxidation and anti-aging effects. Japan has one of the lowest death rate in the world and longest living population 2nd is Italy. Funny things have changed now with the coronavirus.

Quercetin is found in many plants and foods, such as red wine, onions, green tea, apples, berries, Ginkgo biloba, St. John's wort, American elder, and others. Buckwheat tea has a large amount of quercetin. People use quercetin as a medicine. It has been shown antiviral properties with studies and in high concentration. There are studies going on right now with Coronavirus and giving patients green teas and quercertin to see if they do indeed support the fact they are zinc ionosphores if they can block coronavirus from reproducing.

We shall see but it doesn't hurt to consume green teas and eat healthy foods like red onions, berries, etc.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:47 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Herd immunity won't stop it. New crop of susceptible children being born across the world every day. Herd immunity in the pre-vaccine era didn't stop any contagious disease. Take small pox. People often got it as children, some survived and were immune. But then new babies came along, enough were susceptible, new epidemic. Measles epidemics used to happen every 3-4 yrs, as a new crop of susceptible kids came along.
This has mild effects on children though (with a few rare exceptions). Maybe an issue when they're geriatric in 70 years?

Old 03-23-2020, 04:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
This has mild effects on children though (with a few rare exceptions). Maybe an issue when they're geriatric in 70 years?
Fragile kids will have problems, I think. Most kids will be OK, but can certainly act as vectors to spread the disease to mom, dad, grands and teachers.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:59 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Earlier someone said US cases and deaths were down today.

It is now close to the rollover time, and no, cases and deaths are up. Luckily a small amount, but up just the same.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-23-2020, 06:37 PM

3,083 posts, read 2,213,841 times
Somewhat speculative study out of MIT making the case of looking at humidity in addition to temperature in assessing the prospects of slow transmission in the Summer -

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3556998

An interesting juxtaposition of statistics out of Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. Each of these used a very similar approach and have been successful so far, with fairly high contact with China.

https://corona.help/compare/logarith...apore/thailand

Old 03-23-2020, 06:39 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Herd immunity won't stop it. New crop of susceptible children being born across the world every day. Herd immunity in the pre-vaccine era didn't stop any contagious disease. Take small pox. People often got it as children, some survived and were immune. But then new babies came along, enough were susceptible, new epidemic. Measles epidemics used to happen every 3-4 yrs, as a new crop of susceptible kids came along.
Some of us remember "chicken pox parties" where all the neighborhood kids got together to play by the moms when one kid had chicken pox. The objective was to basically "get it out of the way", as everyone knows it is an annoying disease for kids, but potentially quite serious for adults.

I wonder if the future might hold "SARS-Covid-19" parties for the little-uns.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:50 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
SARS & MERS both petered out relatively quickly. I can't find any reasons to think that this isn't also a likelihood with coronavirus...

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/...reliable-data/

Last edited by JG183; 03-23-2020 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 03-23-2020, 06:57 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
SARS & MERS both petered out relatively quickly. I can't find any reasons to think that this isn't also a likelihood with coronavirus...

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/...reliable-data/

And the common cold (also caused by various coronaviruses) has not petered out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-23-2020, 07:03 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And the common cold (also caused by various coronaviruses) has not petered out.
Nor the annual flu in all its various strains.
Herpes is a virus that you have for life and flares up whenever it damn feels like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events