Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2020, 10:40 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
But this isn't the only study coming to this conclusion. And it would explain why many areas aren't having big rises in cases.
Meh, I'm not sure.

Asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic? They rarely elaborate on that.

On one of the cruise ships they listed a large number as being asymptomatic (like 50%). UNTIL, they did a follow-up a few months later, and then they found symptoms did develope, and the number went to 18% as truly asymptomatic.

I don't know. I can say, it is spreading far less slowly than I anticipated, which is good.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 01:57 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,200,373 times
I've been wondering about the no touch thermometers in use now. When I went into a building after standing in the sun with temperatures well over 90, my temp showed as 101.6 They sat me down in the AC with a fan and very soon, a few minutes, it was down and I was cleared to go in. They commented that I was not the only one this had happened to.

I've heard that the no touch thermometers measure skin temperature not core temperature.
How effective are they really if weather affects the reading?
I suppose that skin would stay hot if someone actually had a fever, but others might be wrongly excluded.
And what if someone who has a fever holds ice or something on the area where they aim the thermometer before getting tested?

Old 05-24-2020, 02:17 PM

18,732 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I've been wondering about the no touch thermometers in use now. ...

Valid points, but I think the thing that I remember that it is pointless to try and catch currently sick people with any temperature taking. As far as I can see, it's more pandemic theater than anything that will help the situation. It might have been more relevant to Ebola or maybe MERS and earlier. Not everyone with COVID infection has fever and then there are the asymptomatic positives.

Old 05-24-2020, 03:50 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rdle-telegraph

The Oxford University team in charge of developing a coronavirus vaccine said a decline in the infection rate will make it increasingly difficult to prove whether it’s been successful, the Telegraph reported.

It's a race against time and a race against the virus disappearing. At first they thought they had an 80% chance of developing a vaccine by September but now they think 50% would be more realistic.

Old 05-24-2020, 03:55 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...208-3/fulltext

There are more than 100 candidate vaccines in development worldwide,9 among them at least eight have started or will soon start clinical trials. These include Moderna's mRNA COVID-19 vaccine and CanSino's non-replicating adenovirus type-5 (Ad5) vectored COVID-19 vaccine, which both entered phase 1 clinical trials on March 16, 2020; Inovio Pharmaceuticals' DNA vaccine for COVID-19, which entered trials on April 3, 2020; three inactive COVID-19 vaccines manufactured by Sinovac, Wuhan Institute of Biological Products, and Beijing Institute of Biological Products entered clinical trials in April, 2020, successively; University of Oxford's non-replicating chimpanzee adenovirus vectored vaccine ChAdOx1 nCoV-19, and BioNTech's mRNA COVID-19 vaccine also started trials in recent months.

This is from the Chinese vaccine study article and is an interesting full text article that discusses the Chinese study in detail.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:42 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
I don't think it was ever presumed that ALL asymptomatic carriers were contagious. This just falls in line with earlier results: 80% of cases were from 20% of carriers. No change, in other words.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:04 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
"science thread". I gotta be honest, from what I have witnessed from the scientists all around the world working on this one thing is clear. Mother nature certainly has the upper hand. Scientists don't even agree on how this thing spreads let alone a cure or vaccine. It isn't very comforting to know our brightest minds don't have a clue about this COVID.

Sorry, but I am not even sure anyone is going to figure this one out. Maybe in the end of it all herd immunity is our only hope.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:32 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,064,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Mother nature certainly has the upper hand. Scientists don't even agree on how this thing spreads let alone a cure or vaccine.
That's because Mother Nature didn't create this virus, it was engineered in a lab.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:13 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,225,930 times
Korea Boss video interviews Professor Woo-Joo Kim from Korea University Guro Hospital, leading expert on coronavirus and infectious disease in S. Korea talking about misinformation, conspiracy theory and beyond. The interview is fairly long but Professor Woo-Joo Kim is very good. A lot of the misinformation he tackles pervades this and other threads on CD as well and I'd encourage folks to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k84gE7ObuQ

Old 05-25-2020, 01:02 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rdle-telegraph

The Oxford University team in charge of developing a coronavirus vaccine said a decline in the infection rate will make it increasingly difficult to prove whether it’s been successful, the Telegraph reported.

It's a race against time and a race against the virus disappearing. At first they thought they had an 80% chance of developing a vaccine by September but now they think 50% would be more realistic.

Are they only testing in the UK? I haven't been able to find info. Maybe they can partner with universities in Sweden, the US, and Brazil where the chance of exposure is higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events