Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 12:54 PM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
This is the kind of post that spreads fear and panic.
Actually that is happening right now in Italy. And this is only within 3 weeks of it starting there.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...at-virus-limit
Talk of a 400-bed field hospital in Milan’s fairgrounds. A team of Chinese experts and surplus ventilators arriving on a cargo plane. Doctors Without Borders, usually dispatched to the third world when disasters strike, working triage in Italy’s prosperous north.

The coronavirus outbreak tearing through Italy has turned a nation that usually donates medical expertise and equipment abroad into a country in need. Some hospitals in hard-hit Lombardy are at saturation point, unable to admit new patients. Every day is a scramble to find more intensive care beds than the critically ill who need them. There still aren’t enough protective masks to go around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 01:11 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Nope, Mike1003 is in the medical field and I appreciate and respect his posts.

Old 03-14-2020, 02:38 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, facts can do that.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

Not sure is this has been posted before. I am not adept in this kind of thinking, but the article was recommended by 23 and me. It convinces me that we all need to do social distancing, in a radical way. The author mentions the low death rate in St. Louis in 1918. I’ve read about that before. The health commissioner had power to shut down and quarantine the city, and the will to do it.

This author's article uses graphs to explain how necessary social distancing is, now that we’ve failed with early containment. Without distancing, the infection rate grows exponentially (literally) and hospitals will be overwhelmed with terribly sick patients. The time for springing into action to keep the virus out, or contain it, is past. It is here, it will be dangerous, and our leaders need to have the will to keep us shut down for longer than we will want.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:46 PM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

Not sure is this has been posted before. I am not adept in this kind of thinking, but the article was recommended by 23 and me. It convinces me that we all need to do social distancing, in a radical way. The author mentions the low death rate in St. Louis in 1918. I’ve read about that before. The health commissioner had power to shut down and quarantine the city, and the will to do it.

This author's article uses graphs to explain how necessary social distancing is, now that we’ve failed with early containment. Without distancing, the infection rate grows exponentially (literally) and hospitals will be overwhelmed with terribly sick patients. The time for springing into action to keep the virus out, or contain it, is past. It is here, it will be dangerous, and our leaders need to have the will to keep us shut down for longer than we will want.
I posted earlier that this is what Korea has turned to...isolation.
They started off testing but it soon got to be too much with too many being infected that they couldn't trace down all contacts anymore to quarantine.

Old 03-14-2020, 04:03 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Default Johns Hopkins Map is an eye opener

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

It's updated in, almost, real time. Sometimes it's an hour behind. A tremendous amount of information if you click on tabs and links. Africa was almost disease free yesterday

Old 03-14-2020, 04:14 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
From an epidemiologist friend of mine:

Quote:
Mike this is very complete. We are late in testing but making progress in mitigation. As Dr Fauci continues to say....flatten the curve.

Probably too little too late with regard to mass testing. My fear after President’s declaration is the run on testing and exhausting/diluting the resource.

If the run on TP and 9mm ammo are any indication, we will end up screening a lot of people without symptoms and then create a false sense of security.

Over the course of months of disease, people will revert to normal routines and believe they are not at risk. This happened in HIV.

Old 03-14-2020, 04:24 PM

20,722 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
From an epidemiologist friend of mine:

Well I certainly hope not. As someone that knows a thing about inferential statistics , and research methods, I know good random samples can be much smaller than population size especially if prevalent. Thats why they can call an election with small sample sizes. I think we can assume this will be endemic but we can keep the explosive rate of it down with far less than population testing. Not sure how expensive these thing are to make though.....

Old 03-14-2020, 06:14 PM

114 posts, read 57,012 times
You know I was listening to a podcast earlier today and they had and infectious disease scientist on as a guest. And he said you know I will never recommend against washing your hands during a viral outbreak like this, but he said the facts are this might be one of the most contagious viruses ever to circulate the globe in recent history. Basically he said you can wash your hands 100 times a day, but all it takes is for you to walk in a room with someone with the virus who coughed a few times and because it’s airborne and lives in the air for a long period of time you can catch it. Very easily. Wash your hands until your skin peels and falls off, it really doesn’t matter. If you’re within close vicinity of someone who has it you’re pretty much guaranteed you’re going to catch it.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:31 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

It's updated in, almost, real time. Sometimes it's an hour behind. A tremendous amount of information if you click on tabs and links. Africa was almost disease free yesterday
They make all this fancy graphs and maps to show Coronavirus cases but what about influenza? Have we completely ignored it?

https://www.worldometers.info/

Quick facts:
Every year an estimated 290,000 to 650,000 people die in the world due to complications from seasonal influenza (flu) viruses.

This figure corresponds to 795 to 1,781 deaths per day due to the seasonal flu.

98,474 Seasonal flu deaths this year

We keep thinking coronavirus is the biggest killer. It hasn't caught up with the regular flu. I wonder how many people actually have the regular flu and causing the hospitals to mistaken them for coronavirus.

Yes, we should still be careful not to catch any flu but let's put things in perspective too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events