Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 11:06 PM

3,083 posts, read 2,213,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Does anyone have a link providing the type 1 and type 2 errors in the Covid-19 testing? It seems that there are different types of tests and I am wondering about the type 1 and type 2 error comparison among them.
I never got a response on this. Now, there are reports of a Japanese man testing positive for the second time, after having been cleared. And, Japanese hospitals use 2 negative test to rule out the infection. So, he had 2 negatives at the beginning of March and now a positive again.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200315_13/

So, either this is a case of false negative(s) or something more. Would like a scientific response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 12:34 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
This must be one of the most absurd threads in existence known to man. I have never seen so much misinformation, people posing as pseudo experts, people posing as knowledgeable, people believing the aforementioned people as if they are knowledgeable, and ridiculous statements.

And the complete absurdity of calling this thread 'The Coronavirus Science Thread' when it is anything but that.

Old 03-15-2020, 05:03 AM

346 posts, read 358,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
They make all this fancy graphs and maps to show Coronavirus cases but what about influenza? Have we completely ignored it?

https://www.worldometers.info/

Quick facts:
Every year an estimated 290,000 to 650,000 people die in the world due to complications from seasonal influenza (flu) viruses.

This figure corresponds to 795 to 1,781 deaths per day due to the seasonal flu.

98,474 Seasonal flu deaths this year

We keep thinking coronavirus is the biggest killer. It hasn't caught up with the regular flu. I wonder how many people actually have the regular flu and causing the hospitals to mistaken them for coronavirus.

Yes, we should still be careful not to catch any flu but let's put things in perspective too.
I've been watching the worldometer for a while. Today was the first day I have seen the number of cases drop and the number of critical cases dropped 2%.

Yesterday, I read a NY Times article from December about Italian factories in Northern Italy now being run by Chinese firms with 100K Chinese workers from Wuhan plus other Chinese regions. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/b...far-right.html

Here is another article that is recent which has some of the same information. https://www.altnewsmedia.net/news/co...ive-why-italy/

I'm not much for buying the hype this is a pandemic, nor is my wife who works in the medical field. We all have to live with the fallout that comes from decisions made by government for our own good......
My favorite saying by Napoleon Hill "The things we fear the most never actually happen"

Old 03-15-2020, 08:35 AM

It is an excellent thread that is being corrupted by the doubters. I request that those who think they know better start their own thread and stop corrupting this thread which is about the Coronavirus science. If you don’t believe it is a threat - please, please start a new thread on that premise.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:39 AM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
An Effective Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I have no idea how accurate or scientific this is, but is an interesting read.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
An Effective Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I have no idea how accurate or scientific this is, but is an interesting read.
If you go to the first page of this thread - there is a post from Larry Caldwell that talks about this. The MEDCRAM YouTube series in that link has further discussion on this in a later video.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:41 AM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
If you go to the first page of this thread - there is a post from Larry Caldwell that talks about this. The MEDCRAM YouTube series in that link has further discussion on this in a later video.

Thanks. I will check that out!

(The thread was really long, and I hadn't had a chance to read back yet.)

Old 03-15-2020, 09:44 AM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
Quote:
It is an excellent thread that is being corrupted by the doubters. I request that those who think they know better start their own thread and stop corrupting this thread which is about the Coronavirus science. If you don’t believe it is a threat - please, please start a new thread on that premise.
Thank you. Well said. Denial is a fear mechanism. It is not helpful. The science of covid-19 is developing, and so by definition information will be preliminary.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:22 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Thank you. Well said. Denial is a fear mechanism. It is not helpful. The science of covid-19 is developing, and so by definition information will be preliminary.

Denial feeds the reactionary panic rebound effect. Very small investments in time and money can have huge returns. Over investment of course leads to diminishing returns , but where that is variable to the individual. For a billionaire a bugout bunker is probably like a protein bar for a poor person. I like to plan for mistakes in my calculations. Someone who "overstocked" by having 6 months on hand may have miscalculated friends and family. That could easily become a 1 month supply depending on how willing one is to share resources. I probably could rush to the store , because I am not in a huge hot spot. However I already slowly accumulated.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:28 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
I've been watching the worldometer for a while. Today was the first day I have seen the number of cases drop and the number of critical cases dropped 2%.

Yesterday, I read a NY Times article from December about Italian factories in Northern Italy now being run by Chinese firms with 100K Chinese workers from Wuhan plus other Chinese regions. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/b...far-right.html

Here is another article that is recent which has some of the same information. https://www.altnewsmedia.net/news/co...ive-why-italy/

I'm not much for buying the hype this is a pandemic, nor is my wife who works in the medical field. We all have to live with the fallout that comes from decisions made by government for our own good......
My favorite saying by Napoleon Hill "The things we fear the most never actually happen"

The rates are dropping because people are acting to control it. I have said it many times here and elsewhere. You will benefit from the actions of the very people you mock. Italy happened because of people like you. It will not happen much more because of people very much not like you. If you see no reason to pay an mention to it then why are you here? Go some old poor, Kobe thread like everyone else was in January while they ignored the incipient time of this mess.

For 3,000 people the US engaged in several wars. Now we have 6,000+ dead and all ya have to do is sit home and watch TV to beat this thing. Oh the horror and sacrifice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events