Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2020, 03:25 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

When Anaheim’s Disneyland Resort shuttered in March, it was such a rare occurrence that it put an exclamation point on our troubled times. It also immediately gave us something to look forward to: Disneyland’s reopening.

How poetic if things had gone as planned just a month ago and Disneyland’s turnstiles had been unlocked Friday, on its 65th anniversary.

Such a moment would be the all-clear: Even if America and the world hadn’t yet rid itself of a highly contagious, deadly virus, we as a people and a country had endured. Things are OK. It is safe to again gather in groups and play at sillier, more fantastical versions of ourselves, something about 19 million of us do every year.

Disneyland, however, will be closed on its 65th anniversary.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...th-anniversary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 09:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It kind of is... Magic Kingdom anyway. Being stuck on an island across a large lagoon from the parking lot, with the only means of exit being a limited-capacity train is very problematic. There's a ferry that runs across it also, but it's even slower, runs less frequently, and has an even smaller capacity. It's certainly not a problem at Universal and Seaworld.
Obviously you haven't been to NASCAR races, NHL games, NFL games, etc...

Old 07-18-2020, 08:32 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It was specifically about amusement parks. And in my opinion, the Magic Kingdom after fireworks is much worse than any sporting event. I’ve been to many many many baseball games. All we do is sit in the seats for half an hour and then it’s all cleared out. Trying to get out of Magic Kingdom after fireworks takes much longer.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:42 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It was specifically about amusement parks. And in my opinion, the Magic Kingdom after fireworks is much worse than any sporting event. I’ve been to many many many baseball games. All we do is sit in the seats for half an hour and then it’s all cleared out. Trying to get out of Magic Kingdom after fireworks takes much longer.
I've never had a problem getting out of Disney after the fireworks. We've never parked in the parking lot, but it doesn't seem to be any different then what happens after sporting events. We've taken the light rail before, and it's basically as you describe your experience leaving Disney, thousands of people crammed into a small area waiting to board the train. The ballpark station is underground, so it's just a mass of people crammed onto the ramp going down into the station. Even parking in a nearby lot, it takes at least an hour to get out of there.

Or leaving a PGA golf tournament? Sweet Jesus, I never thought we'd get out of there. You had to take a shuttle to the parking lot, which was about 10 miles away. Shuttles were lined up down the street waiting to be filled, but it still took forever to get out of there.

But that's just how it is, anytime you have a large number of people wanting to leave at the same time, there are going to be crowds at the exit. There isn't really anything that can be done to avoid it, except to leave early or watch the fireworks at the exit so you're one of the first out of the park.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:09 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've never had a problem getting out of Disney after the fireworks. We've never parked in the parking lot, but it doesn't seem to be any different then what happens after sporting events. We've taken the light rail before, and it's basically as you describe your experience leaving Disney, thousands of people crammed into a small area waiting to board the train. The ballpark station is underground, so it's just a mass of people crammed onto the ramp going down into the station. Even parking in a nearby lot, it takes at least an hour to get out of there.

Or leaving a PGA golf tournament? Sweet Jesus, I never thought we'd get out of there. You had to take a shuttle to the parking lot, which was about 10 miles away. Shuttles were lined up down the street waiting to be filled, but it still took forever to get out of there.

But that's just how it is, anytime you have a large number of people wanting to leave at the same time, there are going to be crowds at the exit. There isn't really anything that can be done to avoid it, except to leave early or watch the fireworks at the exit so you're one of the first out of the park.

Well the poster said it's not a problem at Universal or Sea World, which I can't speak to because I've never been to either one. But again I've been to countless ball games and getting out of Magic Kingdom was 10x worse.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:02 PM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You're right. I only played AHL hockey.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

Key difference is there are normally multiple exits to a stadium. There is one exit out of MK, and two modes of transportation with very limited capacity to get one across a huge body of water. Besides, this was specifically about theme parks. MK is poorly designed in this sense, as the other parks do not have this issue.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:09 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I've also never had trouble leaving MK after fireworks, but I don't head straight for the gates.

Now NASCAR? Wow. Getting to my car wasn't the problem, but once I was in my car, we sat for three hours.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:11 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Key difference is there are normally multiple exits to a stadium. There is one exit out of MK, and two modes of transportation with very limited capacity to get one across a huge body of water. Besides, this was specifically about theme parks. MK is poorly designed in this sense, as the other parks do not have this issue.
Three modes of transportation. You forget a MAJOR one ... the resort buses which pick up right at the park.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Three modes of transportation. You forget a MAJOR one ... the resort buses which pick up right at the park.
Perhaps... I'm just speaking on experience -- Literally 90 minutes (there is a ride timer at the exit) to get on either the monorail or ferry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events