Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2022, 02:50 PM

880 posts, read 572,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
As this is the Current Events zone and not Poc, I will very gently and kindly encourage you go back and very carefully reread my post.

I clearly said (and you quoted me saying) Walmart, you know like the largest private employer in America. The giant company with cutting edge IT for pretty much everything they do. And yeah, the giant and very well-funded corporate mothership in Bentonville does indeed provide scheduling software to managers at the individual store level that enables them to maximize profits via variable/on call scheduling regardless of promises made to employees that they would schedule around class schedules.

Another data point says Amazon does the same with their warehouses.

You used it as an example... not exclusively and only specifically Walmart.

I do not believe this is happening in the manner in which you say it is. I also think an NDA, as you said, would be never happen. A non-disclosure agreement does not prevent you from working at another / similar job. To think that it does is a great misunderstanding of what an NDA is. NDA would be an agreement that you would not discuss things that could harm Walmart, or proprietary information.

NDA's are nearly impossible to uphold in engineering fields, and a lawyer wouldn't even begin to try to uphold one for a Walmart employee. So that you even mentioned it is silly.

If there are people working for Walmart, then they've accepted the agreement of salary... I don't see what the problem is here.

I want everyone to make more money, but it has to come from somewhere, so sorry. I agree with the executive that made this e-mail. Whether I think it's "awesome" or not is another thing.

We have high gas prices because our president slashed our ability to drill and produce oil domestically.

Literally, as with all other policies like this, it only further hurts the poor. Not even sure what the point of eliminating our energy independence was... maybe you could explain it to me (I've owned TESLA stock since Biden got into office, so please tell me something I don't know). All my wealthy friends now have TESLAs... and most of them work from home. But I still see poor people paying exorbatant amounts of money on gasoline.

Bottom line... if a company can afford to pay more, they will. If they can't they'll go out of business.

Companies, for the most part, are no longer owned by families. The Estate Tax has caused family-owned businesses to get sold off, and largely become totally public companies, which means the success of the business is entirely related to it's ability to perform for the shareholders. Shareholders largely could care less about the people working at the business, they just want their stock to go up. If the profits go up, the stock goes up.

With the border totally open, and 20+ million new illegal immigrants having poured into this country within the past year and a half because: A) Republicans want cheap labor, and B) Democrats want potential new voters... you can expect wages to go down even further.

On top of that... inflation means that even IF they did get a nominal wage increase, the actual value of their salary is now worth less than they would have been making just 2 years ago.

So yeah, please tell me about all your wise and "inciteful" thoughts on labor and hiring practices in America.

Old 03-31-2022, 04:02 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,083,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
BS.
You don't know anything about me. Can it.

Old 03-31-2022, 04:13 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 24 days ago)

16,150 posts, read 21,305,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
I worked for McDonalds, CompUSA, and Scotty's Hardware when I was younger. I co-manage teams that develop machine learning algorithms, why would I want to now go work for Walmart?
Don't take everything you read literally, can you not get the gist of what I said? Try to put yourself in another's shoes and realize your experience is not their experience, especially not when it's outdated by twenty years. (Not to mention you neatly sidestepped the issue of not being able to work the magical 'two jobs' because of scheduling. )

And btw our retail company uses one of those gawdawful programs for scheduling, the only people who think they're worthwhile are the people who design them, not the people who have to use them, nor the people who have to follow them.

Lastly, no I'm not allowed to work for a competitor while currently working for the retailer I'm with, as a low level frontline supervisor. Perhaps you aren't as aware as you think you are?

Old 03-31-2022, 04:51 PM

51,314 posts, read 36,980,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Been there dozens of times. It doesn't have to be all or none. One might seek new experiences for some meals then look for something familiar for other meals. Sometimes it pays off to keep the kid happy.
He always got to pick at home, so we were always at Hard Rock. This was the line in the sand though. I told them to go themselves and I’d dine somewhere else by myself. I won that one lol.

Old 03-31-2022, 05:42 PM

17,574 posts, read 22,355,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The restaurant industry was hurting pretty badly before COVID, and the "free money" stopped quite some time ago.
now the labor/food costs are killing their bottom line.

Big Mac meals are $8-9 now

Old 03-31-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Don't take everything you read literally, can you not get the gist of what I said? Try to put yourself in another's shoes and realize your experience is not their experience, especially not when it's outdated by twenty years. (Not to mention you neatly sidestepped the issue of not being able to work the magical 'two jobs' because of scheduling.)

At one point, I was working a full time day job, working 60+ hours a week, getting paid for 40. I also worked the weekend as a professional photographer for NFL games (basically a 12 hour day). At the same time, I was ALSO contracting after hours working for a major medical company doing medical research analytics for the FL, NY, and MA cancer registry... and through all of this, I was also getting a bachelors degree after hours in which I was taking 3 classes a semester. I graduated with a 3.948 GPA and Summa *** Laude. AND... I was doing renovations to my house, managed to find time to work on my cars, AND was doing my part to make a baby.

I don't care about other's experiences... you can be lazy, a victim, and complain, or you can work hard and accomplish great things. My boss has 7 masters degrees... 7... and he's my age, and has done significantly more than I have. So there is absolutely no sympathy here from me.

No able-bodied / mentally stable person in this country has an excuse to be lazy or can claim a victim.

Old 03-31-2022, 06:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,936,391 times
Quote:
Couple of things:

/antiwork is a silly group of people. The United States will never be a society where people do not have to work. If / when it ever does come to that, it will mean the collapse of our society and it will be replaced with something much, much worse.

Not sure why this is addressed to me; I have no idea who this "antiwork" group is.

Quote:
Someone needs to tell him that his theory about people being "forced back into the labor pool" due to no more enhanced unemployment benefits has been disproven in recent months.
And it has been. It isn't that former restaurant employees are sitting on their couches. Unemployment is really low right now.

The restaurant industry was in deep **** before COVID came along and pushed it down the stairs.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-31-2022 at 06:32 PM..

Old 03-31-2022, 06:39 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 24 days ago)

16,150 posts, read 21,305,900 times
Quote:
I don't care about other's experiences... you can be lazy, a victim, and complain, or you can work hard and accomplish great things. My boss has 7 masters degrees... 7... and he's my age, and has done significantly more than I have. So there is absolutely no sympathy here from me.

No able-bodied / mentally stable person in this country has an excuse to be lazy or can claim a victim.
You are once again utterly and completely missing the point. And it's quite obvious that you don't care, nor care to understand, other's experiences, even though your own are outdated and not relevant to what is going on today. Unfortunately I think that outdated way of thinking is far too common at the top, and a large part of the problems we see currently.

Old 03-31-2022, 06:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,936,391 times
Here's an interesting article on why restaurants are struggling to stay staffed:

https://www.foodandwine.com/fwpro/re...orker-shortage

Old 03-31-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You are once again utterly and completely missing the point. And it's quite obvious that you don't care, nor care to understand, other's experiences, even though your own are outdated and not relevant to what is going on today. Unfortunately I think that outdated way of thinking is far too common at the top, and a large part of the problems we see currently.

You're right, I don't care. I see people complaining... and I say, don't work there then.

You expect every business to offer a "living wage," or whatever you call... "a fair wage." Yet, no one here can define what that means.

It's all complete nonsense... and you're perpetuating victim mentality. The problem with people like you, is that you persist this idea that people are victims and that everyone else is to blame for problems in this world. If you want more from life, then you work hard for it and make it happen. There aren't 10s of millions of people breaking into this country every year because the country is so evil and work is so hard. Tell all those Hondurans, Guatemalans, and all the other Central Americans that you think it's "unfair" to work at Walmart that they won't properly schedule you so that you can take classes that they're paying for.

Yeah... these conversations really make me sick, and I pretty much have no concern for your views on any of this.

And why are my views "outdated?" I'm 43... I'm not a boomer. I'm literally still in the workforce. I can't even retire for another 24 years at an absolute minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events