Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2023, 08:09 PM

1,063 posts, read 543,534 times

Advertisements

This is from an article from The Root. I find it really odd that she apparently came upon a lost child on the side of the highway acting as a decoy...the same scenario her parents had repeatedly warned her about. Hmmm. I have never considered being afraid of a toddler on the side of the highway being used as a decoy.

I'm guessing that this will turn out to be either a hoax or a mental illness issue. I think her parents fed her this "be scared of toddlers on the sides of highways" story enough times that she thought to use this story to take a few days off from the world.

In an interview with CBS 42, Russell’s parents Talitha and Carlos Russell claimed that they were certain their daughter’s disappearance was an abduction. The details about the toddler, for example, seemed to validate their suspicions. They even warned Russell about the use of children as “decoys.”

“We’ve actually told our daughter, ‘Don’t fall for those decoys’” Talitha Russell said, “... but she’s a passionate person; she’s a very caring person and she told the family member that she could not leave a little child that appeared to be three or 4-years-old just on the interstate.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 10:05 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
This is from an article from The Root. I find it really odd that she apparently came upon a lost child on the side of the highway acting as a decoy...the same scenario her parents had repeatedly warned her about. Hmmm. I have never considered being afraid of a toddler on the side of the highway being used as a decoy.

I'm guessing that this will turn out to be either a hoax or a mental illness issue. I think her parents fed her this "be scared of toddlers on the sides of highways" story enough times that she thought to use this story to take a few days off from the world.

In an interview with CBS 42, Russell’s parents Talitha and Carlos Russell claimed that they were certain their daughter’s disappearance was an abduction. The details about the toddler, for example, seemed to validate their suspicions. They even warned Russell about the use of children as “decoys.”

“We’ve actually told our daughter, ‘Don’t fall for those decoys’” Talitha Russell said, “... but she’s a passionate person; she’s a very caring person and she told the family member that she could not leave a little child that appeared to be three or 4-years-old just on the interstate.”
Oh wow, that does put another spin on things for sure.

Old 07-16-2023, 10:11 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post

This family needs to quit talking. The more they say the less sense they make.

I have never even heard of a case where a child was used as bait to get a motorist to pull off on the shoulder of a busy highway. To my knowledge that has never, ever happened.

So why her parents would warn their daughter about a scenario like that is very odd. It may be that her mom is trying to give her daughter an out for making up this crazy story. "Oh, she must have said that because I warned her about toddlers being used as lures."

Old 07-16-2023, 10:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Sounds like a chapter out of a Murdach crime.

There are so many opportunists lurking.

Old 07-16-2023, 10:45 PM

2,180 posts, read 2,317,827 times
ITA with the last few posts LOL

Next thing we know they're going to report that the toddler on the highway was actually "Paul Paul".

Old 07-16-2023, 11:47 PM

7,634 posts, read 8,704,195 times
That must be America's most famous toddler of the week.

Here is a question:

The police arrived within 3 minutes of her 911 call. How was she able to leave the area so quickly on foot?

Old 07-17-2023, 12:17 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Yup, agree with others, and the family needs to keep quiet.

I, too, have never heard of a crime where someone used a child to lure unsuspecting victims on the side of a busy highway. I have read of children being used as bait in crimes, but these involved kids used by their parents to steal from unsuspecting businesses (or cartels using kids to smuggle in drugs).

Old 07-17-2023, 12:44 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
She might have gone missing on her own also.
I saw this video yesterday on my YouTube feed and watched it and that was my first thought too. I dismissed it immediately as a hoax. First there was no way a small child could have wandered onto the Interstate like that. It's just not possible. I saw comments speculating about the child being used as bait. That made no sense and was too preposterous for me to even consider.

The second problem was how did she see a small child, while she is whizzing down a dark Interstate highway at 70 or 80 mph? No one would be able to see something that small under those conditions. Then there was the video of her driving on the shoulder with her hazard lights and just stopping. No indication of any other vehicles, people or anything unusual until the police car pulled up behind her 2 minutes later. None of it made any sense.

After that I started watching an interview with her family talking about her being kidnaped, and then I couldn't take it anymore and stopped watching. It was so clear that she orchestrated her own disappearance.

Old 07-17-2023, 01:48 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Yup. The abduction angle doesn't make much sense. It would be contrary to the purpose to just kidnap anybody that stops at the side of a highway. Kidnap them for what? She does seem to be financially doing well, but they had no idea she would be the one stopping. What if a police officer saw the child before she did? Their luring gig would be over in a hurry. It's just not plausible that they were luring someone to kidnap them. They would of had better luck using methods like stopping to kidnap a person walking at the lights. So yeah, the abduction angle just doesn't make sense.
I agree with you. Can't rep you again!

Old 07-17-2023, 02:46 AM

61,673 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Here is an update:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/carlee-...oover-alabama/

A 25-year-old nursing student who went missing on Thursday night after calling 911 to say she'd seen a male toddler in a diaper walking along the side of an Alabama highway has returned home, police said.

Carlethia "Carlee" Nichole Russell came back home on Saturday night. Police received a call at around 10:45 p.m. notifying them of her return. Officers and medics responded and Russell was taken to a hospital for evaluation, Hoover Police Captain Keith Czeskleba said. They also spoke with Russell and got a statement.

"The details of that statement are a part of the ongoing investigation which is expected to continue over the next few days," Hoover Police Lt. Daniel Lowe said in a Sunday press release. "During the initial portion of the investigation detectives were able to retrace nearly all of Carlee's steps until the point she went missing and are confident that will continue to be the case."

The family is asking for privacy at this time and plans to speak in the "near future," according to their FB post.

Darn good eyes to spot a "male" toddler in diaper on a pitch dark night...
Toddlers that still wear diapers are hard to distinguish by gender at that age, unless you ask for their name.
The driving speed on the freeway was probably 70+mph, so she saw the toddler for about a second or two, if she was driving the far right lane. Also, when you drive that fast and see something, you are past that thing too far and must turn around to get to it again. I don't know where is the exit there, but usually it takes several minutes. So, there is a toddler still walking along the freeway when she got to him after she returned to that spot, and no one else saw it?

And the police did NOT get any details about what she did when she left the car. So, what kind of "statement" is that?

I also think that it was very "convenient" to leave phone and apple watch at the scene. Both devices could track her whereabouts. And who leaves a car and wanders around without a phone, that is not only communication tool but also has a flashlight?

Her mom, here, is just talking nonsense...
https://www.wvtm13.com/article/alaba...woman/44543657

Last edited by elnina; 07-17-2023 at 03:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events