Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2023, 12:09 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
The news said a cell phone was found in her car. In my mind that rules out a hoax. I don't believe there's a woman walking who would go off without her phone.
Rule number 1 for disappearing. Ditch your cell phone. Everybody knows that cell phones can be tracked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 12:16 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Papini is currently serving time in federal prison for that shenanigan.

[url="https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/sherri-papini-begins-serving-prison-sentence/[/URL]
And right so. People who refuse to say what happened to them or deliver fake statements should be held accountable for the cost of search and rescue.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:17 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
Sherri Papini vibes for sure. People respond to life stresses in different and unique ways, and pulling something like this is one way this type of behavior can manifest itself. Probably some sort of cry for help, or for attention, or a mental break of some sort, although the police investigation will get to the bottom of it. People who pull this stuff, if that is what happened here, probably know it will involve the community in a sense with police and searches and such, but I don't think they truly think they will become national news, and therefore public figures. What average person would? I'm willing to bet Papini never expected to become a household name and poster child for this kind of thing. People who allegedly file false police reports also don't seem to think about the criminal consequences if their story is found to be a hoax.
If I had to come up with a theory on why this happened, I would say that she did it so that she could spend a weekend partying at the Red Roof Inn w/o having to deal with her parents' strong disapproval and possibly even being kicked out of the house.

Her mom has said that she could track her daughter's phone and Carlee knew that. So, she ditched the phone, staged a struggle and made it look as though she had been kidnapped right there off of the shoulder of the highway.

I get the impression that Carlee's parents tend towards being overprotective of her. Maybe she was feeling a bit suffocated and needed to get away for a couple of days. She didn't factor in that it would be all over the news the way it was.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The police said yesterday that they expected their investigation to last a few more days but that they were confidant that they would be able to track her whereabouts throughout her disappearance and figure out what had transpired.

If there is something she should fess up to, she should fess up to it.
Well, they said that they got a statement when they talked to her in a hospital (my post above). So, they know what happened and are not saying, or they know nothing.
Also her family knows for sure what happened to her. Minutes after she arrived home.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
If I had to come up with a theory on why this happened, I would say that she did it so that she could spend a weekend partying at the Red Roof Inn w/o having to deal with her parents' strong disapproval and possibly even being kicked out of the house.

Her mom has said that she could track her daughter's phone and Carlee knew that. So, she ditched the phone, staged a struggle and made it look as though she had been kidnapped right there off of the shoulder of the highway.
But then why she came back after two days. Where she slept? Had no food or drink in this heat? She was the hot news in that area, so impossible to just go to the store or get a hotel room.
What was going in her head? She knew that there will be investigation...

Whoever was thinking so highly about her might change their mind now.

She must have know the area very well to wander into woods without light and phone. Maybe someone waited there for her?

Last edited by elnina; 07-17-2023 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-17-2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, they said that they got a statement when they talked to her in a hospital (my post above). So, they know what happened and are not saying, or they know nothing.
Also her family knows for sure what happened to her. Minutes after she arrived home.
The question is, did she give a truthful statement. Apparently, when she arrived home she was in a bad enough state that she had to have time to recover from it before she could talk to investigators.

I would imagine that she's scared out of her mind. I can't blame her for feeling intimidated, she's in a lousy position. I don't envy her a bit.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:

I get the impression that Carlee's parents tend towards being overprotective of her. Maybe she was feeling a bit suffocated and needed to get away for a couple of days. She didn't factor in that it would be all over the news the way it was.

She has a BF and excellent reputation - would a weekend long wild party worth it?
What about the people? They surely found out what was going on. Everyone has a phone, people check it all the times. Txt messages and social media about missing/abducted person...

No, I am not sure about this theory.

That bad mental state and time to recover could as well be buying time to get a story together.
Of course she is not in a good place now. If nothing criminal happened to her, she is done in her community. She would have to move far away to start a new life.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
But then why she came back after two days. Where did she slept? Had no food or drink in this heat? She was the hot news in that area, so impossible to just go to the store or get a hotel room.
What was going in her head? She knew that there will be investigation...

Whoever was thinking so highly about her might change their mind now.

She must have know the area very well to wander into woods without light and phone. Maybe someone waited there for her?
I think that she walked through the woods and met up with someone who picked her up and took her to the hotel to party. I don't know that, but it makes more sense than the story she has told.

She's a pretty girl and I'm sure that she gets plenty of male attention. Maybe she met someone and just wanted to have a good time. Her parents wouldn't have approved of that so she concocted this story to give herself an excuse for disappearing for a while.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:36 PM

1,381 posts, read 725,411 times
I think it is fairly easy to assume she made this whole thing up which then makes you think that the home life must be pretty screwy to say the least.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
She has a BF and excellent reputation - would a weekend long wild party worth it?
What about the people? They surely found out what was going on. Everyone has a phone, people check it all the times. Txt messages and social media about missing/abducted person...

No, I am not sure about this theory.
Those are all good questions and, honestly, I do not know that we'll ever get answers to them.

She did pull her wig off so maybe she changed her appearance enough so that the person or people she was with, along with the hotel staff, didn't recognize her. Hard to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events