Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 05:52 AM

9,440 posts, read 5,204,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
well I'm all set then as I never moved mine ahead last spring.Figured we would be turning back in fall anyway so why bother.
I'm considering this right now. Not falling back. But how do you handle appointments and such? do you just remember that you are an hour behind any agreed upon time? I think I'd get confused.

Arizona doesn't have daylight savings time and they don't seem to have any problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 06:38 AM

1,400 posts, read 764,844 times
"Daylight Savings Time" didn't start until 1966 ~ a decision from the President. His reason for doing so has not been valid for a long, long time and should be changed back to the way it was. Everyone despises the time change twice a year.

Old 11-01-2023, 07:29 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Right now the sun came up here at 7:59A. I verified it. I'm in the Eastern time zone but I am pretty darn close to the Central time zone which runs through my state. This morning the sun came up in Dover Delaware at 7:29A. So, you can see where you live in your time zone can make a difference in how you feel about it. That's a half hour difference for how long it's dark.

Old 11-01-2023, 07:50 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
I think this forum may be dominated by retirees who don't have to get up early in the morning, so don't care how late it stays dark. We get up at 6 for work, and it's a real drag to have it still pitch black. It's also hard on the school kids. But no matter how you slice it, winter days are shorter than summer days and we have to cope with that one way or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Congress should split the difference, move it once but only back a half hour and call it quits forever.!!!
I've always thought this would be the best solution, one which gave a small concession to each side but didn't actually favor one over the other.

Old 11-01-2023, 08:33 AM

9,440 posts, read 5,204,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think this forum may be dominated by retirees who don't have to get up early in the morning, so don't care how late it stays dark. We get up at 6 for work, and it's a real drag to have it still pitch black. It's also hard on the school kids. But no matter how you slice it, winter days are shorter than summer days and we have to cope with that one way or the other.

I've always thought this would be the best solution, one which gave a small concession to each side but didn't actually favor one over the other.
Might be, but I'm a retiree who gets up at 6:30 every morning. I prefer light both in the morning and later into the evening. For those with any degree of seasonal affective disorder, the lack of light is a real problem.

Old 11-01-2023, 08:41 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,050,385 times
Although I work from home now, there was nothing more depressing then driving home from work at 5PM with it pitch black dark out. Add rain and cold made it even worse

Old 11-01-2023, 08:43 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,334 times
This night time at 5 PM stuff is depressing. How can people stand it? Kids locked in the house at 5 because it's dark? Ugh! If they're so concerned about energy use just leave it DST all year. When getting out of bed in the dark to go to go to work in the morning, you run half the lights you do after dark in the evening.

Old 11-01-2023, 10:22 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Come on people, at this point you are exaggerating the effect that changing the clock one hour has on daytime light. If you live in, say, Chicago, the longest day of summer is SIX HOURS longer than the shortest day of winter. Even in Los Angeles where I live, there is a 4 1/2 hour difference between the longest and shortest days.

Fretting about going off DST as the sole cause of darker evenings is just silly. It's winter; it's going to be dark early.

Old 11-01-2023, 10:30 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
1933 The Great Depression - People going without food, without work, and suffering daily. But difficult lifestyles created strong people.

2023 Now - People losing it over a few minutes of pushing buttons on clocks. Easy lifestyles create weak, whiny, and unappreciative people.

Old 11-01-2023, 01:04 PM

654 posts, read 630,550 times
If we are going to go through the exercise of moving our clocks back and forth, we should do it at the best time. The pre 2006 dates for going on and off of DST were the best, we now go on DST too early and off of it a week too late. The last Sunday in March and the last Sunday in October are the correct dates to do the change. This allows DST to be during the good weather time frame of 75% of the country without causing sunrise to come too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events