Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 06:36 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
My father in law told me several years ago about this happening to someone he knew. IIRC, the mother was a doctor and refused to get the c-section. The baby got stuck and died and the only way to get him/her out was decapitation.

I suspect the charges will stick. There would have been monitors on the baby. They would have shown that the baby was distressed. This is on the doctor.
Lawyers make the worst clients and doctors the worst patients. By the time they're trying to do emergency c-sections it's not for good reasons and thus the outcomes aren't good. I can see a doctor knowing those outcomes and in the moment being in denial thinking that they can just reset things. Completely illogical but that's what happens when you're too close to something and caught up in the denial of the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 07:14 PM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times
The quality of medical care just like everything else will decline because standards and qualifications are being lowered.

Old 02-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,612 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The quality of medical care just like everything else will decline because standards and qualifications are being lowered.
This doctor got her degree in 1996.

Old 02-13-2024, 08:56 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,612 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
There's always two sides to a story I suppose. And we haven't heard the doctor's version of events, yet. But from the facts we know it sure does sound like extreme incompetence, negligence and an attempt at a cover up.

Those poor parents, I can't even imagine what they must be going through.
There aren't two sides to this story.

It's one thing to have one criminally incompetent person in the room - the supervising doctor - but it's another to also have many nurses and techs who don't speak up. The amount of conspiratorial silence among the medical professionals in this case is astonishing, down to the people who propped that baby's head back on his body and swaddled him so the couple might think he was, sadly, delivered intact because these things happen, and not decapitated by the totally botched process.

This needs to be a huge wake up call, although truly this is so unusual maybe there's no wake-up call needed. Nurses, don't stand there silently while the doctor allows the baby to die.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There aren't two sides to this story.

It's one thing to have one criminally incompetent person in the room - the supervising doctor - but it's another to also have many nurses and techs who don't speak up. The amount of conspiratorial silence among the medical professionals in this case is astonishing, down to the people who propped that baby's head back on his body and swaddled him so the couple might think he was, sadly, delivered intact because these things happen, and not decapitated by the totally botched process.

This needs to be a huge wake up call, although truly this is so unusual maybe there's no wake-up call needed. Nurses, don't stand there silently while the doctor allows the baby to die.
Being too closedminded doesn't really change that there are two sides to the story. It's an attorney trying a case in the news uncontested doing the press circuit, very old tactic. They want to ensure any potential jury has already formed an opinion before being seated. You're a plaintiff attorney's dream.

The decapitated bit is stupid be not criminal. Here's your decapitated stillborn, ma'am, is pretty awful for a mother who just lost her baby. It's stupid but not criminal to spare the mother that. People have an astounding capability to hear what they want to hear when under stress.

The criminal aspect (higher burden) and medical malpractice (lower burden) are both standards of care. Standard of care does not guarantee a good outcome. These issues should be decided in a court and not the media.

Last edited by Malloric; 02-13-2024 at 09:36 PM..

Old 02-14-2024, 03:48 AM

3,054 posts, read 2,924,279 times
Legal experts out there, I have the idea that homicide involves intent? The article claims that homicide means that "death was caused by the actions of another person"; yes, that is part of it. Yet I thought that intent was also needed to complete the definition of homicide.

I would be completely and utterly astonished if the doctor and staff wanted the baby to die. Can the legal experts out there clarify? I thought the incident would be classified as manslaughter or whatever the legal term is for when a doctor's negligence causes a patient's death. Not that it is entirely important, surely a relatively trivial matter, but the terminology intrigued me.

(I'm aware of the rare occurrence of medical professionals murdering their patients, so there is an outside chance that the staff perhaps involves one of these disturbing individuals; but, on the whole it just seems incredible to me that the doctor wanted the patient to die).

Old 02-14-2024, 07:11 AM

17,361 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Legal experts out there, I have the idea that homicide involves intent? The article claims that homicide means that "death was caused by the actions of another person"; yes, that is part of it. Yet I thought that intent was also needed to complete the definition of homicide.

I would be completely and utterly astonished if the doctor and staff wanted the baby to die. Can the legal experts out there clarify? I thought the incident would be classified as manslaughter or whatever the legal term is for when a doctor's negligence causes a patient's death. Not that it is entirely important, surely a relatively trivial matter, but the terminology intrigued me.

(I'm aware of the rare occurrence of medical professionals murdering their patients, so there is an outside chance that the staff perhaps involves one of these disturbing individuals; but, on the whole it just seems incredible to me that the doctor wanted the patient to die).
I think that homicide doesn't necessarily mean a criminal act. Has the doctor or any other member of the hospital staff been charged with murder or even manslaughter? It sounds as though the baby's neck was broken during a very rough delivery, during which the baby became stuck in the birth canal, was in fetal distress and some force was used to try and get the baby out resulting in the baby's death. Afterwards, surgery was performed to extricate the baby from the mother's body and that is when the decapitation took place, most likely to minimize damage to the mother's body.

I am not defending the hospital staff, but I think we need to hear their version of events. It's possible that a c-section was recommended much earlier on in the birthing process and the young mother refused it. They can't make a mother have a c-section. Once the birth had progressed and the baby's head was out but the shoulders remained stuck, it might have been too late to give her a c-section and force was applied in a last ditch attempt to save the baby's life.

I'm not saying it happened that way, only that it could have happened that way. My guess is that it was a highly traumatic experience for all involved.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:56 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This doctor got her degree in 1996.
Nothing happens in isolation. There were plenty of things and people that may have played a part leading up to this.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think that homicide doesn't necessarily mean a criminal act. Has the doctor or any other member of the hospital staff been charged with murder or even manslaughter? It sounds as though the baby's neck was broken during a very rough delivery, during which the baby became stuck in the birth canal, was in fetal distress and some force was used to try and get the baby out resulting in the baby's death. Afterwards, surgery was performed to extricate the baby from the mother's body and that is when the decapitation took place, most likely to minimize damage to the mother's body.

I am not defending the hospital staff, but I think we need to hear their version of events. It's possible that a c-section was recommended much earlier on in the birthing process and the young mother refused it. They can't make a mother have a c-section. Once the birth had progressed and the baby's head was out but the shoulders remained stuck, it might have been too late to give her a c-section and force was applied in a last ditch attempt to save the baby's life.

I'm not saying it happened that way, only that it could have happened that way. My guess is that it was a highly traumatic experience for all involved.
Homicide itself does not. It's just the killing of another, which can be justifiable (legal) or not. It doesn't require intent. Let's say someone is driving a car and doing so completely negligently and too busy reading comments in their Livestream and interacting with it. After the accident prosecutors can go back and thanks to the recorded Livestream and determine the driver had their eyes off the road for 17 seconds prior to the accident in which the car ran through a crosswalk in a school zone killing the crossing guard. No intent but it was such gross negligence in operating a car to not pay attention to the road for 17 seconds that it is homicide.

Quote:
The Clayton County ME determined the specific cause of death of Treveon Taylor. According to the report, his death was caused by a fracture-dislocation with complete transection of the upper cervical (C1-C2) spine and spinal cord. It was caused by shoulder dystocia, arrest of labor, and fetal entrapment in the birth canal.
Arrested labor is when the cervix doesn't fully dilated meaning smaller birth canal. Normally oxytocin would be used. Was anything done? Unknown.
Shoulder dystocia needs to be called out and interventions taken. Unknown if those happened either.

Doing nothing despite there being arrested labor and shoulder dystocia would be akin to driving through the crosswalk having not bothered to look at the road for 17 seconds. On the other hand a bad outcome on its own really doesn't mean the doctors/staff were negligent. They could be. Medical examiners don't make legal decisions, but their reports are used by the legal system as evidence. The doctor/staff may be charged with homicide based on the ME's report.

Last edited by Malloric; 02-14-2024 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
People really need to get over their steel trap verdicts achieved via some incomplete media stories that depict one side minus further investigation.

I imagine some get their rocks off at the idea of sticking it to a physician and medical institution but try and think objectively given as always there are two sides to every story, and in today's media only one fits the exploitation narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events