Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 08:54 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times

Advertisements

I thought I read that the baby's head was STUCK in the birth canal? Hard to deliver it by C-section in that case!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 10:35 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The baby lost his head during the delivery. Why can't you grasp how SHOCKING this is? SHOCKING.

In this history of humans, babies have horribly died during delivery, mothers have died, babies AND mothers have died, but it's extremely rare for a doctor in a modern hospital to PULL A BABY'S HEAD OFF.

Maybe you aren't as familiar with birth practices and childbirth as I am. This simply doesn't happen in modern times first world countries, where we have a method of quickly switching to C-sections if vaginal birth isn't working.

I'm curious, Kyle. What is your interest in defending this?

Life is full of shocking so please enough of the "clutching the pearls" routine. It is a sad, unfortunate event but laying up all night obsessing over it or throwing gas on the fire of bystander outrage does nothing for the baby, the parents or any of the hospital staff involved. Rest assured the MD didn't throw a post-procedure celebratory party and has likely had a difficult time dealing with anguish and guilt. More curious is why anyone not affiliated with the event has become so obsessed about it the point they initiate an online discussion and continue it relentlessly, other than perhaps via some demons in your own closet.

Old 02-15-2024, 05:11 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Life is full of shocking so please enough of the "clutching the pearls" routine. It is a sad, unfortunate event but laying up all night obsessing over it or throwing gas on the fire of bystander outrage does nothing for the baby, the parents or any of the hospital staff involved. Rest assured the MD didn't throw a post-procedure celebratory party and has likely had a difficult time dealing with anguish and guilt. More curious is why anyone not affiliated with the event has become so obsessed about it the point they initiate an online discussion and continue it relentlessly, other than perhaps via some demons in your own closet.
Um....wow. Anyone else want to take a crack at this? I may say something that would get me in trouble again.

Old 02-15-2024, 06:36 AM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
The baby lost his head during the delivery. Why can't you grasp how SHOCKING this is? SHOCKING.

In this history of humans, babies have horribly died during delivery, mothers have died, babies AND mothers have died, but it's extremely rare for a doctor in a modern hospital to PULL A BABY'S HEAD OFF.

Maybe you aren't as familiar with birth practices and childbirth as I am. This simply doesn't happen in modern times first world countries, where we have a method of quickly switching to C-sections if vaginal birth isn't working.

I'm curious, Kyle. What is your interest in defending this?
It is horrible what happened. The baby was not decapitated during the delivery - that was not the cause of death. The baby died during the delivery because the baby got stuck - head out, body in - and the delivery had progressed too far to do a c-section. The decapitation occurred during surgery after the baby was already dead. They couldn't pull the baby's shoulders out and they couldn't pull the baby's head back in so a harsh decision was made to limit the damage to the mother's body.

We don't know how this young mother presented at the hospital. For all we know she could have been crowning and the baby was already in fetal distress when they got there. We don't know if she went to her prenatal appointments and had the routine scans done to monitor the baby's growth. We don't know if she had gestational diabetes which is a risk factor for large babies and shoulder dystocia.

We don't know.

What happened is horrifying but I think it's wrong to assume that the staff was lackadaisical about what went wrong. For all we know, the staff was trying to spare the young parents even more emotional anguish by not telling them about the decapitation.

We need to hear the doctor and delivery nurses' side of this story before rushing to judgement and yanking their hard earned medical licenses.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:05 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
What's your interest in this story?

This is the second time I've asked. I really can't even imagine anyone - except someone related to those involved in this horror - defending them.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:06 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It is horrible what happened. The baby was not decapitated during the delivery - that was not the cause of death. The baby died during the delivery because the baby got stuck - head out, body in - and the delivery had progressed too far to do a c-section. The decapitation occurred during surgery after the baby was already dead. They couldn't pull the baby's shoulders out and they couldn't pull the baby's head back in so a harsh decision was made to limit the damage to the mother's body.

We don't know how this young mother presented at the hospital. For all we know she could have been crowning and the baby was already in fetal distress when they got there. We don't know if she went to her prenatal appointments and had the routine scans done to monitor the baby's growth. We don't know if she had gestational diabetes which is a risk factor for large babies and shoulder dystocia.

We don't know.

What happened is horrifying but I think it's wrong to assume that the staff was lackadaisical about what went wrong. For all we know, the staff was trying to spare the young parents even more emotional anguish by not telling them about the decapitation.

We need to hear the doctor and delivery nurses' side of this story before rushing to judgement and yanking their hard earned medical licenses.
She pushed for 7 hours, in the hospital, while the baby's heart rate became erratic and declined, and finally, stopped all together.

At about the 5 hour pushing mark, both mother and dad were begging for a C-section.

We do know.

BTW, the standard of care is no more than 3 hours, and stop pushing if the baby's heart rate becomes erratic, and go on oxygen at that point and prepare for a c-section. Continue pushing the full 3 hours only if mom and baby are doing well and want to proceed vaginally.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:
She pushed for 7 hours, in the hospital, while the baby's heart rate became erratic and declined, and finally, stopped all together.

At about the 5 hour pushing mark, both mother and dad were begging for a C-section.

We do know.
Was she offered a c-section earlier? Did she decline it? By the 5 hour mark it may have been too late to do the c-section.

I would imagine that by the 5 hour mark things were already pretty dire. I don't know when the baby's heart beat stopped and when the surgery to remove the baby was done.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Was she offered a c-section earlier? Did she decline it? By the 5 hour mark it may have been too late to do the c-section.

I would imagine that by the 5 hour mark things were already pretty dire. I don't know when the baby's heart beat stopped and when the surgery to remove the baby was done.
No.

Apparently the heartbeat had stopped an hour before the C-section was performed.

According to information on the Nancy Grace show, the heartbeat had been decreasing and was erratic for hours before the baby died.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
No.

Apparently the heartbeat had stopped an hour before the C-section was performed.
So for at least an hour before the surgery, she was pushing and the baby was no longer alive.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:32 AM

Quote:
No.

According to information on the Nancy Grace show, the heartbeat had been decreasing and was erratic for hours before the baby died.
She should have had an emergency c-section when her baby became distressed. The question is, did the doctor recommend that she go in for a c-section and she refused? Some women are terrified of being cut open and insist on pushing even against medical advice. You can not force a woman to have a c-section.

There are too many questions. We need to hear the other side of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events