Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 12:45 PM

16,421 posts, read 8,233,962 times

Advertisements

delivering babies isn't rocket science and has been done since the beginning of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 01:13 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,634,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
delivering babies isn't rocket science and has been done since the beginning of time.
Yes, and babies have been dying at birth since then also.

We lost a son at birth when his lungs would not inflate (bilateral Atelectasis). Birth was normal otherwise.

My MIL lost babies at birth in 1933, and 1954.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:02 PM

16,421 posts, read 8,233,962 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Yes, and babies have been dying at birth since then also.

We lost a son at birth when his lungs would not inflate (bilateral Atelectasis). Birth was normal otherwise.

My MIL lost babies at birth in 1933, and 1954.
I'm sorry to hear that.

I think there are less infant deaths today than there decades and centuries ago but sadly they still happen at birth or even things like SIDS and other accidents.

At the end of the day this accident sounds very rare and I'm not sure the blame can be placed solely on the doctor.

Old 02-27-2024, 05:53 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yes, and years ago both mother and baby would have died in this scenario. Happened every day!

Old 02-27-2024, 08:57 PM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Not defending anyone, but a degree from 1996 would make the doctor roughly 60 years old. I don’t feel that’s too old. I would be concerned having a doctor with a degree that’s from 10 years ago as well.

If you look at the hospital link I left in the post above your comment I'm quoting, the hospital says it specializes in high risk deliveries. I'd imagine that to mean they had a team of employees that were trained to deal with high risk births.

I wonder what events happened such as maybe they were short help, that contributed to it. I'm not seeing anything new in the news. I did find a few articles I had not seen. The mother doesn't look very tall, plus she looks overweight. There are a lot of doctors that do not like doing any kind of surgery on heavy people because the incision may not heal right. My daughter, who is short and over-weight, had to have c-sections when she had her two kids. Both times, her incision took a lot of time to heal. When she had her second, they told her there was a lot of scar tissue they had to cut through.

The article below says that homicide doesn't mean a crime was committed. It also clearly implies that the babies head was cut off in order to deliver the rest of the body through c-section.

My son was born early when we had a huge storm Gloria in the 80's. So many other women went into labor too that there wasn't enough room on the maternity floor for all of us.

Father speaks out after baby's decapitation death in Clayton County ruled homicide

Quote:
Attorneys for the couple say the findings contradict Southern Regional Medical Center's assertion that the baby died in utero before delivery.

"Contrary to what Southern Regional Medical Center put out there that the baby died from complications of shoulder dystocia before the decapitation when they took her back to the operating room," attorney Dr. Roderick Edmond explained, "the medial examiner's office came and determined independently that the cause of death was trauma to the neck, the baby's neck was broken and the baby died."

The Clayton County ME determined the specific cause of death of Treveon Taylor Jr. as a fracture-dislocation with complete transection of the upper cervical (C1-C2) spine and spinal cord. It was caused by shoulder dystocia, arrest of labor, and fetal entrapment in the birth canal.

Other significant conditions contribution to death included pregnancy-induced diabetes and premature rupture of membranes, according to the medical examiner's office.

On July 14, the GBI's medical examiner conducted another autopsy.

On Oct. 19, Chief Honey and Director Byars consulted with an out-of-state OB/GYN who has performed over 10,000 labor deliveries and is a subject matter court expert.

On Oct. 20, Chief Honey and Director Byars consulted with a Georgia-based OB/GYN who has performed over 9,000 labor deliveries and is also an expert.

On Jan. 18, 2024, Chief Honey contacted a private forensic pathologist to review the findings and case files (over 600 pages) and information gathered from the OB/GYNs to determine the cause, manner and other significant conditions in the death of Treveon Taylor.
What happens next?

Homicide means that the death was caused by the actions of another person. It is a general term and may refer to a noncriminal act as well as the criminal act of murder.

They Lied to Us': Family Who Lost Baby to Decapitation During Birth Says Hospital Pushed for Cremation

Quote:
“The baby was decapitated for sure as a complication from shoulder dystocia,” attorney Roderick Edmond, himself a doctor who formerly practiced medicine, said Wednesday. “But the standards of care are very, very simple. When there is a shoulder dystocia, there are tried and true things that must be done.”

The delivery resulted in a fracture of the baby’s upper cervical spine according to the medical examiner’s office. Edmond said that proper protocol wasn't followed at multiple steps in the process.

For one, he claimed, doctors should have called for additional resources when they became aware of the shoulder dystocia. Additionally, Edmond added, "The baby’s neck was broken while Dr. [Tracey] St. Julian was applying excessive traction on the baby’s neck in the face of shoulder dystocia.”

Edmond and fellow attorney Cory Lynch both said their focus was on the civil case, and did not speculate whether they believe the medical examiner's homicide ruling meant there was a crime committed.

In its press release, the medical examiner’s office clarified that the cause of death of homicide means the death was “caused by the actions of another person,” which does not necessarily indicate a crime was committed

After the baby was decapitated, his body and legs were removed during a C-section procedure. But the baby’s head was delivered vaginally, the Associated Press previously reported.

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-27-2024 at 09:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events