Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 07:35 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,610 posts, read 17,940,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
She should have had an emergency c-section when her baby became distressed. The question is, did the doctor recommend that she go in for a c-section and she refused? Some women are terrified of being cut open and insist on pushing even against medical advice. You can not force a woman to have a c-section.

There are too many questions. We need to hear the other side of this.
If I hadn't heard the details on Nancy Grace, I'd agree that it was something like this.

This couple, while the baby was still very much alive, was begging for a C-section.

And I'm guessing you won't hear the other side of this, outside of a malpractice court case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 07:44 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
I was recently part of a jury where the charge was criminally negligent homicide. I am not going into details but it was a case where a man knowingly did something stupid -- he admitted that he knew it was stupid -- but did it anyway, and two people died. (I guess this could be comparable to driving when drunk and killing someone, although the deaths in this case were not a result of doing anything illegal.) Anyway, I had a hard time with the verdict because we were all convinced that he did not intend to kill anyone and could have ended killing himself, but the judge's instructions made it clear that we had to rule on the facts and could not let sympathy or compassion enter into the verdict. I don't want to give any more details because this story got quite a bit of local attention.

After the trial was over, I was aghast to discover that he could be facing up to 25 years in prison for what was really, imo, just a very stupid accident. I just hope that he judge will be very lenient when he sentences him about three months from now. (Not sure why there is such a delay.) Honestly, sometimes when I think about the differences in sentencing -- that 25 years is often the sentence when someone rapes someone or beat someone 'to a pulp', for example* -- I just shake my head.

*or at least I think I have heard of such sentences for those crimes

Last edited by katharsis; 02-15-2024 at 08:05 AM..

Old 02-15-2024, 07:47 AM

17,357 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If I hadn't heard the details on Nancy Grace, I'd agree that it was something like this.

This couple, while the baby was still very much alive, was begging for a C-section.

And I'm guessing you won't hear the other side of this, outside of a malpractice court case.
If the baby was already stuck then it may have been too late to do the c-section when the mother agreed to and asked for one.

I'm guessing that the lawyer for the young parents is pushing for a settlement and we may never hear the full story of what happened.

Has any of the medical staff actually been charged with any wrong doing? Or is this a civil matter?

Old 02-15-2024, 08:56 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It is horrible what happened. The baby was not decapitated during the delivery - that was not the cause of death. The baby died during the delivery because the baby got stuck - head out, body in - and the delivery had progressed too far to do a c-section. The decapitation occurred during surgery after the baby was already dead. They couldn't pull the baby's shoulders out and they couldn't pull the baby's head back in so a harsh decision was made to limit the damage to the mother's body.

We don't know how this young mother presented at the hospital. For all we know she could have been crowning and the baby was already in fetal distress when they got there. We don't know if she went to her prenatal appointments and had the routine scans done to monitor the baby's growth. We don't know if she had gestational diabetes which is a risk factor for large babies and shoulder dystocia.

We don't know.

What happened is horrifying but I think it's wrong to assume that the staff was lackadaisical about what went wrong. For all we know, the staff was trying to spare the young parents even more emotional anguish by not telling them about the decapitation.

We need to hear the doctor and delivery nurses' side of this story before rushing to judgement and yanking their hard earned medical licenses.
Well and sanely explained!

Old 02-15-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Right, Nancy Grace, who wouldn't pass up a chance to throw rocks at someone if her life depended on it.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
The baby lost his head during the delivery. Why can't you grasp how SHOCKING this is? SHOCKING.

In this history of humans, babies have horribly died during delivery, mothers have died, babies AND mothers have died, but it's extremely rare for a doctor in a modern hospital to PULL A BABY'S HEAD OFF.

Maybe you aren't as familiar with birth practices and childbirth as I am. This simply doesn't happen in modern times first world countries, where we have a method of quickly switching to C-sections if vaginal birth isn't working.

I'm curious, Kyle. What is your interest in defending this?
So, Clara, where did you get your medical degree? You seem to have all the answers.

Old 02-15-2024, 12:46 PM

16,319 posts, read 8,150,917 times
I have never ever heard of this happening...didn't think something like this was possible. Wow.

Old 02-15-2024, 02:13 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I have never ever heard of this happening...didn't think something like this was possible. Wow.
It's called fetotomy, and is still sometimes done in veterinary practice (and used to be done in human childbirth before Caesarean sections were possible in order to save the life of the laboring woman): https://motherhoodinprehistory.wordp...tomy-fetotomy/

Cut for a VERY disturbing story below:

Spoiler
I heard a third-hand story about a delivery at my medical school where a fetus's head came off during the delivery. The physician was using vacuum extraction and applying some gentle traction when suddenly POP! off came the head. It turned out that the fetus had an undiagnosed case of the most severe form of osteogenesis imperfecta (type ll, which is incompatible with life: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteogenesis_imperfecta) and would have died shortly after birth in any case, but what a horrorshow!

Old 02-15-2024, 05:07 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
Apparently the heartbeat had stopped an hour before the C-section was performed.
Okay... So the baby was already dead (I thought so, since its head was stuck in the birth canal). What is so SHOCKING...SHOCKING!!!...about removing a dead fetus any way possible? Hysteria doesn't help anyone.

Old 02-16-2024, 03:21 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
There aren't two sides to this story.

It's one thing to have one criminally incompetent person in the room - the supervising doctor - but it's another to also have many nurses and techs who don't speak up. The amount of conspiratorial silence among the medical professionals in this case is astonishing, down to the people who propped that baby's head back on his body and swaddled him so the couple might think he was, sadly, delivered intact because these things happen, and not decapitated by the totally botched process.

This needs to be a huge wake up call, although truly this is so unusual maybe there's no wake-up call needed. Nurses, don't stand there silently while the doctor allows the baby to die.
Their jobs are often on the line in these types of events.

Several years ago in my local area, the hospital CEO performed the first incision on a surgery. The CEO was not an MD. The MD allowed it to happen. Staff took photos of the incident.

Both were ultimately fired in the incident, but not criminally charged. The CEO took another job running a hospital overseas, then came back fairly recently as CEO of a speciality physician group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events