Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:43 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,594,433 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth... when I was single, I wasn't concerned with the direction the city was going or helping people with info about Dallas.

Now that my wife and I own a house, I am much more interested in what projects are in the works, ways I can support/influence them and helping people with info about Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 08:26 PM

421 posts, read 3,223,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
oh no darlin! Ft Worth is NOT NOT NOT a suburb of Dallas. Ft Worth is its very own city and a WORLD apart from Dallas.
Thanks BellestarofTexas! great info! I found the Oprah show you were talking about..check this out...this is the top 20 cities to find single men!! 5 are in Texas!!! Can you believe that?!!! I think it was Arlington or Fort Worth that scored high in philanthropy which really says a lot about peoples hearts out there *sniff* made me feel warm and fuzzy

San Jose, California
Salt Lake City, Utah
Arlington, Texas
Raleigh, North Carolina
San Francisco, California
Fremont, California
Austin, Texas
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Washington, D.C.
San Diego, California
Charlotte, North Carolina
Dallas, Texas
Denver, Colorado
St. Paul, Minnesota
Seattle, Washington
Houston, Texas
New York, New York
Madison, Wisconsin
Fort Worth, Texas
Durham, North Carolina

Thanks for the info on Fort Worth. The way they're always mentioned together Dallas/Fort Worth, I thought they had expanded into each other. I guess I thought Dallas was like San Francisco in that everyone goes there at least once a year for Christmas shopping! Do you avoid it because of traffic or the people?

Can you tell me what Arlington is like? and where is the hill country?

And what are you picturing when you say city slicker? is that someone who has never lived outside the city? or someone who doesnt know how to rope a steer? KBilly mentioned beer and bubbas...that doesnt mesh with city-slicker in my mind! I'm trying to figure out where to visit next month and where to live if I dont get a job beforehand. I think I'm a combination of city slicker and farmhand

Thanks also for the book recommendations. I'll definitely check them out ASAP.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:48 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
yep. definitely order those books. invaluable (and entertaining!)
i personally avoided Dallas because of both traffic and people (sorry Dallas-ites, but i just am not uptown!) but did go when there was NFL or NHL games i wanted to see, or of course, fly out of DFW...other than that, Cowtown has everything i ever needed, so didnt need to go to Dallas.
Arlington-i am no expert on the city, because i never had much reason to spend much time there-i would go there to get scrubs at some store i liked, that's about it.
Hill Country-it's in central Texas...just google it!
city slicker, i label anyone who lives the "city" lifestyle.
btw, not all country folk know how to rope a steer. we dont all rodeo!
if you are a combination of city slicker and country, then you will definitely enjoy living in the outskirts of Ft Worth, having best of both worlds.
good luck in your journey. you're gonna LOVE Texas

Old 07-16-2007, 05:25 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
I would second the Balcony Club. Also the bars at Terilli's, Cafe Pacific (ok might be a bit snobby there, but great martini), Tipperary Inn, Times Ten Cellars, Wine Therapist, Cru, Stan's Blue Note, Hotel Belmont Bar...Louie's on Henderson is a big writer/advertising/lawyer hangout. Looks a bit shady from the outside, but don't let that bother you. Another place that looks a bit downscale is Bailey's 1st and 10 at Mockingbird and Abrams but you might be surprised at some of the types there...If you are into country or not really but would like a taste of those who try to be for a night, go to Adair's in Deep Ellum.

The Mansion Bar used to be the best scene in town until smoking was banned in hotel bars by Laura Miller. Nowadays you might like the Library Bar at the Melrose Hotel. I would also try Stephen Pyles on Ross Ave and go to the special events at DMA and the Nasher.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 PM

13 posts, read 90,819 times
Me neither!!! So what does that tell you about the 40-dating scene in the Big D?

Old 07-17-2007, 03:39 PM

436 posts, read 1,347,868 times
Well, I'll put my two cents in here. I just signed up for CD today. I've used it for years as a resource as a recruiter but I had no idea that there was a board for posting.

I'm single and in my 40s so most of my friends are either in their 30s and single as well or my age but married with kids. I haven't been country dancing since college. As a matter of fact, I used to go to a country bar with friends every now and then just a few years ago. At the top of the hour, they'd play 10 minutes of club music or at least oldie disco stuff. That's the only time I'd get out on the floor.

I agree with meeting people at church. However, I've met most of my friends through my alumni associations, volunteering and through sports leagues. I'm pretty new to meetup.com but I think that's a good way to meet people. There is a group for everything and I do mean everything. Nevertheless, I do belong to It's Just Lunch to meet men figuring that men wouldn't sign up if they weren't in the meeting mood too.

There's no shortage of things to do here. There are trendy clubs and laidback places. There are more restaurants here per capita than even NYC.

If you haven't, you should check out the Is Dallas snobby, materialistic link. I agree with the people who say that there are snobby materialistic people no matter where you go...small towns, big cities, really everywhere. There are plenty of regular people around here and people really are friendly...until they get in their cars (to agree with another posting on the snobby link).

BTW, I'm not blonde, don't go for Bubbas, not a big fan of beer although I do have the b**bs which are all mine...

Old 07-17-2007, 03:53 PM

436 posts, read 1,347,868 times
Default Dallas and Ft. Worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
Thanks for the info on Fort Worth. The way they're always mentioned together Dallas/Fort Worth, I thought they had expanded into each other. I guess I thought Dallas was like San Francisco in that everyone goes there at least once a year for Christmas shopping! Do you avoid it because of traffic or the people?

Can you tell me what Arlington is like? and where is the hill country?

And what are you picturing when you say city slicker? is that someone who has never lived outside the city? or someone who doesnt know how to rope a steer? KBilly mentioned beer and bubbas...that doesnt mesh with city-slicker in my mind! I'm trying to figure out where to visit next month and where to live if I dont get a job beforehand. I think I'm a combination of city slicker and farmhand

Thanks also for the book recommendations. I'll definitely check them out ASAP.
People from Oklahoma come shopping here a lot as do people from West Texas and smaller locales. Houston, Austin and San Antonio can all hold their own in the shopping department. Ft. Worth has a lot of the same stores as Dallas although some of the super high end stores you may just find in Dallas (Barney's, Chanel, etc.).

I've lived here for 30 years and I've never quite figured out why some people from Ft. Worth have such an issue with Dallas. I like to go to Ft. Worth. They have a great zoo....better than the one in Dallas. They have some wonderful museums and good restaurants. But I don't go to the zoo or the museums every weekend. So I have no problem with driving over there. It's just more convenient to go to the same restaurant they have in Ft. Worth if it's in Dallas and therefore closer to home.

Arlington is a suburb between Dallas and Ft. Worth. Arlington and Ft. Worth share a border. It's actually the biggest city in the US without public transportation (or at least it was). The Rangers play there and the Cowboys new stadium is being built there.

The Hill Country is west of Austin and San Antonio. Fredericksburg, Kerrville and Luckenbach are small towns there that draw a lot of tourists.

I've never thought of myself as a city slicker. I like to vacation in a small town in Michigan but I've never lived in a small town year round. I've been to the rodeo here but I'd rather go to the baseball game. There is a huge variety of people here. I think you'd be hard pressed to say Dallas is absolutely one type of people.

BTW, I like the idea of buying those books. You will need to pick up "y'all" and "fixin' to" once you get here. While I would never say "fixin' to" in an interview or other formal situation, I'm fine with telling someone that I'm fixin' to go to the store.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,717 times
Default Some good news

I have found Bent Tree at Midway and Frankford to be good start in finding what you may be looking for. Many of the people here have made this place a local stop and call each other by name. I have enjoyed stopping in every now and then. Somecomfort

Old 11-25-2007, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 12,505 times
I just signed up and read the postings. I'm a single male over 30 and not a bubba. I don't drink beer and have never line danced. That doesn't mean I don't like those things, it just means it's not what I'm about. Both Dallas and Fort Worth are large cities with a variety of things to do and many, many different kinds of people. Dallas has a large segment of it's population that were not born in Texas. You can still find the Texan of legend out and about. Dallas has everything except the ocean and mountains. Most people are employed as it's hard to get out and do anything if you're broke, although some still attempt it. The people that posted earlier would be great "tour guides" if you visit. Most people here are friendly, and like to welcome new people. I agree that Churches are good places to meet people here. I haven't tried Bent Tree yet but it's in a nice area.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 AM

4 posts, read 7,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
Thanks BellestarofTexas! great info! I found the Oprah show you were talking about..check this out...this is the top 20 cities to find single men!! 5 are in Texas!!!
Yes to find single men... not single women!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas