Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 06:54 AM

172 posts, read 355,814 times

Advertisements

I don't hate or love Frisco. It's big, it's new, it has things to do,malls to shop and restaurants to eat. Their schools are small and prepare kids well for state testing. They have new homes and lots of land to keep building more new affordable homes.

I just don't want to live there because I already have a home I like in an area that gives me short commute, excellent schools, interesting things to do, neighbors who think of us as family,trees around my house, everything at my footstep. If affordable new housing is a priority in ones life than Frisco is as good as any other town, may be better than many.

Last edited by Pama; 03-28-2013 at 07:41 AM..

Old 03-28-2013, 07:18 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
And they are planting mast producing trees.

What are those?

Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,106,346 times
As a bit of an outsider looking in on this discussion, Frisco isn't hated at all in my opinion. Some people may dislike the city or prefer to live elsewhere, but one of the advantages Frisco has on this forum is strong representation. If anything too negative is said, there are many Frisco residents who post on a regular basis to counter those claims. The same can be said for just about every mid-sized to large suburb in Collin and Denton County, inner-ring communities like Richardson and Irving, the Park Cities, and neighborhoods such as Lakewood in Dallas.

As basically the sole poster living in Lancaster with ties to neighboring DeSoto, a city of 50,000 people with no regular posters, I've put up with things here that I'm sure Frisco posters don't. A photo thread I created was vandalized with racially derogatory images of Black people by some fly-by-night poster. They were quickly removed, but it was insulting nonetheless. I've had posters make false claims about the area's demographics and demographic composition to steer interested people elsewhere. One of the most bizarre encounters was a non-resident poster who in 2010, commented that the southern suburbs were nice, only to return in a rambling rant one year later calling the area a poverty-stricken ghetto full of (his words, not mine) Blacks and Mexicans. Then there are blanket statements about schools as if every campus is unacceptable and obtaining a quality education is impossible if you live outside of the short list of favored districts. I received a great education in DeSoto schools and I'm thankful for each and every teacher I had. Even though I don't enjoy being on the defense, I attribute these remarks mostly to ignorance, not hatred.

While I don't participate in discussions about Frisco, I do read the threads and find the nitpicking over subtle differences a bit trivial. People are still visiting this forum every day expressing interest in Frisco and that isn't going to change anytime soon.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
As a bit of an outsider looking in on this discussion, Frisco isn't hated at all in my opinion. Some people may dislike the city or prefer to live elsewhere, but one of the advantages Frisco has on this forum is strong representation. If anything too negative is said, there are many Frisco residents who post on a regular basis to counter those claims. The same can be said for just about every mid-sized to large suburb in Collin and Denton County, inner-ring communities like Richardson and Irving, the Park Cities, and neighborhoods such as Lakewood in Dallas.

As basically the sole poster living in Lancaster with ties to neighboring DeSoto, a city of 50,000 people with no regular posters, I've put up with things here that I'm sure Frisco posters don't. A photo thread I created was vandalized with racially derogatory images of Black people by some fly-by-night poster. They were quickly removed, but it was insulting nonetheless. I've had posters make false claims about the area's demographics and demographic composition to steer interested people elsewhere. One of the most bizarre encounters was a non-resident poster who in 2010, commented that the southern suburbs were nice, only to return in a rambling rant one year later calling the area a poverty-stricken ghetto full of (his words, not mine) Blacks and Mexicans. Then there are blanket statements about schools as if every campus is unacceptable and obtaining a quality education is impossible if you live outside of the short list of favored districts. I received a great education in DeSoto schools and I'm thankful for each and every teacher I had. Even though I don't enjoy being on the defense, I attribute these remarks mostly to ignorance, not hatred.

While I don't participate in discussions about Frisco, I do read the threads and find the nitpicking over subtle differences a bit trivial. People are still visiting this forum every day expressing interest in Frisco and that isn't going to change anytime soon.
^^^This^^^

Different strokes for different folks. Just because a few people get on this forum and say they don't like the city doesn't mean "everyone" hates the city. Just look at the growth. Many thousands of people apparently LOVE Frisco.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:35 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
It's in your perspective. Most native Dallasites are a little puzzled by Frisco "why would anyone want to live way out there?" It's also a negative reaction to hype. Kind of like how outside Texas only Austin is deemed an acceptable place in such a 'redneck' state... gets irritating...

Old 03-28-2013, 11:34 AM

89 posts, read 137,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katefrisco View Post
[/b]

I find your comment offensive. What if the roles were reversed? What if the comment was something along the lines of too many Hebs live there? You think you would like that? Oh and yes the term for you may seem innocuous. For me as a gentile it is offensive.
It IS offensive.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:08 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice&Curry View Post
It IS offensive.
Try being an observant Jew in an area where there are very few kosher products/options, then tell me how offensive it is.

The term 'goyish' when used by us Jews is not empirically offensive. You're only offended by it because you choose to be.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Enough talk about the term goy. I chose to let it stand in the original post b/c as a non-Jew I didn't find it offensive in context. What has followed IS offensive.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:37 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times
LOL.

I am looking for pics of the non-Frisco hoods from the 50s and 60s to post on here.

It is interesting to compare them to the ones from Frisco from today.

Here is one of Dallas in the 50s.

Wilbert and Maggie, Dallas 1950 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And another of Richardson from the same time.

File:TexasRichardson mainStreet1950.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Arapaho and 75 in 1988.

Arapaho Road at North Central Expressway 1988, Richardson, Texas, Sequence: 1 | The Portal to Texas History

I have heard of suburbia described as the modern day American pastorale - blending our ideals of living near nature but also in tight proximity with others.

The master planned communities of today are MUCH better planned than what went up in the 50s or prior.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:38 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
I have no hate at all toward Frisco. I have simply come to the conclusion that no one city is a perfect fit for everyone. Just because A moved there does not mean it would be a good fit for B. Some people here will bash every city here other than the one they reside in. Many opinions are based simply on hearsay and are stated here as facts. One size does not fit all and if it did like would be very boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas