Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 11:46 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I lived through one which was probably a lot worse than this one will be. Millions of East Texans including myself were without electricity, some for up to a week. It sucked but I lived to tell the tale and as far as I know, no one died as a direct result of the storm. More people will likely die as a result of the heat next summer than as a result of this storm. I suggest you prepare for the chance that you might actually have to live like someone in the 19th century for one day. If you can't handle that, maybe you should leave town like people do during a hurricane.

Also, go buy some freakin groceries. If you're stuck at home without anything to eat because of this storm, it's your own fault. You knew it was coming well in advance.
I am prepared to handle it, but there are people that aren't. Those home bound folks that rely on Meals-on-Wheels for their meals ~ they can't get out to shop and their food can't get delivered. There are some folks so on the edge that they live pay check to pay check ~ they might get paid on Friday, but if it is icy they may not get their check & have no food in the house over the weekend. When it gets this cold there are always people that use space heaters and there are fires or carbon monoxide that kill folks.

Not every one has the resources to just up and go. A little compassion goes a long ways in situations like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 12:53 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
I am prepared to handle it, but there are people that aren't. Those home bound folks that rely on Meals-on-Wheels for their meals ~ they can't get out to shop and their food can't get delivered. There are some folks so on the edge that they live pay check to pay check ~ they might get paid on Friday, but if it is icy they may not get their check & have no food in the house over the weekend. When it gets this cold there are always people that use space heaters and there are fires or carbon monoxide that kill folks.

Not every one has the resources to just up and go. A little compassion goes a long ways in situations like this.
If Meals-on-Wheels relies on warm weather to be able to get food to people, then maybe they should reconsider the way they do things. And I know all about living from paycheck to paycheck. If I was going to starve through the weekend if I didn't get my paycheck tomorrow, guess where I'd be tomorrow...

Old 12-05-2013, 01:08 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
If Meals-on-Wheels relies on warm weather to be able to get food to people, then maybe they should reconsider the way they do things. And I know all about living from paycheck to paycheck. If I was going to starve through the weekend if I didn't get my paycheck tomorrow, guess where I'd be tomorrow...
The cold won't keep Meals-on-Wheels from delivering meals, it will be the icy roads. MoW does not ask their volunteers to venture out on the ice and put themselves at risk. The ice that you consider an adventure.

If your workplace is closed from no power, then showing up to get a paycheck won't matter.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:21 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,004 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoHCn5A2yVQ

kenshi - is that you I see on your little moped squashed between two vehicles?

Old 12-05-2013, 01:24 PM

212 posts, read 409,844 times
I hope that anyone who is suffering as a result of this storm -- or any storm - finds a compassionate response, and those in a position to offer help do so.

Separately, I was not aware until today that Oncor has a text messaging system where once you register you need only text "OUT" to report an outage and get an estimate of when the power will be restored. You need to provide your ESI number. Details in Wilonsky's DMN blog: Update: National Weather Service says ice should begin impacting Dallas roads around 7 p.m. | Dallas Morning News

I love my older neighborhood, but overhead power lines is one of the tradeoffs. And with lots of full growth trees ....

Old 12-05-2013, 01:31 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Grey, ugly, bitter, cold, blustery, wintry, wet, slick, dangerous, severe, dirty, destructive, unhealthy are all the things that 'kenshi' likes weather-wise. Yuk!

In contrast, give me beautiful blue skies and warm to hot temperatures any day...
I like some snow and cold, but dangerous icy conditions are just as bad IMHO as dangerously hot temperatures. I arrived in DFW JUST before the 2011 ice storm and remember venturing out on foot Tuesday AM to find some wifi (hadn't even had time to get internet hooked up in my apartment), and the roads were almost empty, but there were a few people getting stuck at the bottom of a smallish "well" in part of the road and were unable to get up the slight slope. Scary and Not Fun.

OTOH, I did get free goodies from the Starbucks where several of us hunkered down for a few hours until they closed early.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:35 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,531 times
From the radar it looks like it the first round may just touch the northern burbs if that.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:38 PM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
It has reached Alliance in full force:>(

Old 12-05-2013, 01:38 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
From the radar it looks like it the first round may just touch the northern burbs if that.
It's been sleeting again in West Plano for about 20 minutes...

Old 12-05-2013, 01:44 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,531 times
Hmmm, nothing at beltline and 75
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas