Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 05:23 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
My heavens. I CANNOT imagine receiving a letter like that from my kid's school. My heart goes out to all the involved families. And to think I fell apart when my kid got lice.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:22 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
My heavens. I CANNOT imagine receiving a letter like that from my kid's school. My heart goes out to all the involved families. And to think I fell apart when my kid got lice.
And teachers' and other personnel as well. Students are not the only ones on the line.

Last edited by DFWgal; 10-01-2014 at 06:44 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 06:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
It's hard being a grownup, otherwise I'd call in sick to work and tell them I've come down with Ebola.

And yes, the social media memes are VERY amusing. In the meantime, I'll worry more about the spread of Ebola once we start dumping infected corpses in the waterways. Until then I'll remember to steer clear of the blood and feces of recently arrived travelers from West Africa.
I used to work across the street from Presby. Literally across the street. I still know people working at that company and they said there was a LOT of extra traffic and noise from news helicopters, but it was still just as hard to find a spot in the controlled-access garage as it's ever been. Everyone was at work today.

Everyone was at work today too where I work, many many miles away from Presby. No change in traffic patterns today either. In short: People are not freaking out, at least not around here.

The area around Presby and where the patient was staying is a totally different story. My friends in NE Dallas are saying people there are pretty freaked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
It seems the patient flew from Liberia to Brussels, and from there to DFW.

Is there a direct flight from Liberia or West Africa to Dalls?
That I know of, there are no direct flights between Dallas and anywhere in Africa.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:43 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
Is there a distinct possibility that he knew he had Ebola and came to the US for treatment? Just wondering...

Old 10-01-2014, 07:05 PM

974 posts, read 2,186,138 times
From what I understand, passengers leaving Liberia have their temperature taken before they're allowed on the plane. Apparently he didn't have a temperature when he left which would've indicated symptoms of an illness. When he came to Presby, a nurse doing his profile asked if he had traveled lately and if he came from Africa. According to reports -- he indicated he had recently traveled from Africa. BUT the information on his admin chart didn't get to the docs doing the initial diagnosis and they gave him anti-biotics and sent him home. Two days later, he had severe symptoms and was taken to the hospital in an ambulance.
Unless he had symptoms, there's no way he could've "known he had Ebola". Did he know if he was exposed to the virus? Maybe but there's no way of telling he knew unless he says he ways.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:06 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Is there a distinct possibility that he knew he had Ebola and came to the US for treatment? Just wondering...
I'm a little pissed because we were near by at Top Golf(Park ln.) on Friday, then stopped by the McDonalds on Greenville ave. afterwards to get some coupons for the State Fair. Of all the freaking places in the country......WTF. Something about this story isn't adding up, either he wasn't forthcoming with the hospital staff or the hospital staff dropped the ball big time and heads need to roll.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/wo...ncan.html?_r=0
Mr. Duncan, the first person to develop symptoms outside Africa during the current epidemic, had direct contact with a woman stricken by Ebola on Sept. 15, just four days before he left Liberia for the United States, the woman’s parents and Mr. Duncan’s neighbors said.

WTF, all he had to say was "I was aiding someone who died of Ebola back in Liberia and now I'm sick"

Old 10-01-2014, 07:29 PM

769 posts, read 782,872 times
This is also headlining on Spiegel.de, a serious German news site.

Ebola: US-Behörden überprüfen weitere Verdachtsfälle - SPIEGEL ONLINE

They are a bit more explicit than
Moderator cut: English only
Two days after his first hospital visit, the man, who stayed with relatives, threw up in front of the apartment. His whole family was screaming while he was spitting all over the place.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-01-2014 at 07:41 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
This is also headlining on Spiegel.de, a serious German news site.

Ebola: US-Behörden überprüfen weitere Verdachtsfälle - SPIEGEL ONLINE

They are a bit more explicit than US media:
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Two days after his first hospital visit, the man, who stayed with relatives, threw up in front of the apartment. His whole family was screaming while he was spitting all over the place.
How can I find an American version of the article?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-01-2014 at 07:42 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 07:38 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
How can I find an American version of the article?
Throw the URL into Google Translate if you can't read German.

It's not exact but it's close enough.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Throw the URL into Google Translate if you can't read German.

It's not exact but it's close enough.
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas