Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:16 PM

152 posts, read 673,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthlakeSince1996 View Post
Enjoy being right next to criminals in Dallas!

lol, your kidding right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 11:10 PM

937 posts, read 2,906,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyinSanAntonio View Post
lol, your kidding right?
Sadly, probably not kidding. I have a co-worker with similar views that lives in Southlake.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:06 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,542,202 times
First off, this is a good thread on several levels. We are coming down to the same decision -- HP, Southpark, eh ah, South Lake or Private School -- if we even stay in the area.

Quote:
ahhh . . . . you clearly do not understand the game. While yes, Dallas has the criminals, HP has something that Dallas does not -- a Genuine Police Force that does its job, as opposed to Dallas where we sort of wonder if they ever stir off their lazy donut eating asses.

Let me give you some real world examples -- Last St. Patrick Day Parade, one of the funniest things we saw was the HP Police busting on bums wandering over from Dallas, across Mockingbird. Bums were running all the way across the bridge over Central Xway after the HP Police got done with them.

I used to work service around Dallas and had a truck I never bothered to put tags on for 10 years. Just for fun to see how long it would take before a Dallas cop would pull me over. Finally had a cop pull me over for it -- in Grand Prairie of all places. I would never drive that truck though Highland Park, they will pull you over for just DWB (driving while black).

Before anyone starts the PC whining about "the thin blue line, yada, yada, etc." -- You have to keep in mind we jokingly call the Dallas Police "the fat black line" -- I guess for obvious reasons. My only hope is if I ever have to shoot some hood down here, the Dallas cops, true to form, will not show up until after the shooting stops -- so I do not have to worry about them getting caught in the crossfire.

But back to the game. What makes HP so valuable is that it is NOT Dallas. In schools, police or any city services. Conversely, Dallas being a crap hole is what creates the value of HP. If Dallas were not so far down, HP would not be on its pedestal. This is not an accident.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:21 AM

808 posts, read 3,646,944 times
If you want an area with historic character, large trees, and semi-walkable areas (Highland Park Village, Preston Center, Snider Plaza), go with the Park Cities. Despite what some have said about being too close to Dallas crime, this is a very safe area.

If, on the other hand, you want a new suburb further away from the bustle of the city, choose Southlake. They also have larger lots in the Southlake area.

Both areas have their advantages and disadvantages. I currently live in the Park Cities but I had family that lived in Southlake for a few years, so I know the differences first-hand. It really comes down to personal preference.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:47 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,594,072 times
Quote:
Thank you for reinforcing the "better than thou" stereotype of Southlake.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:50 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
just a note southlake Police had better start stepping up and taking control of Towncenter on Fri and Sat nights.

It is out of control. The cars racing down 1709 and HUGE masses of kids just roaming and yelling etc...(this was at 7:30pm Fiday night)

I have no problem with kids going to the movies and grabing a bite to eat etc...(I do have a teenager) I thought it was great she and her friends had a nice place to go where I didn't feel like I had to watch like a hawk. A little independence is a good thing.

BUT... It has really gotten out of control. These kids aren't going to movies or dinner etc... they are racing around in cars, screaming and just running amok. I just made the rule NO more movies at southlake on Fri and Sat nights. (the latest they were there was 9:30pm and it was bedlem!)

It's really sad, it is such a nice family place etc... but now I don't want to be ANYWHERE near there on FRI and SAT nights. so no more weekend dinners at my favorite resturant BRIO.
I can't imagine how bad it's going be in few month when the weather is really nice if it's gotten this bad already.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:57 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
just a note southlake Police had better start stepping up and taking control of Towncenter on Fri and Sat nights.

It is out of control. The cars racing down 1709 and HUGE masses of kids just roaming and yelling etc...(this was at 7:30pm Fiday night)

I have no problem with kids going to the movies and grabing a bite to eat etc...(I do have a teenager) I thought it was great she and her friends had a nice place to go where I didn't feel like I had to watch like a hawk. A little independence is a good thing.

BUT... It has really gotten out of control. These kids aren't going to movies or dinner etc... they are racing around in cars, screaming and just running amok. I just made the rule NO more movies at southlake on Fri and Sat nights. (the latest they were there was 9:30pm and it was bedlem!)

It's really sad, it is such a nice family place etc... but now I don't want to be ANYWHERE near there on FRI and SAT nights. so no more weekend dinners at my favorite resturant BRIO.
I can't imagine how bad it's going be in few month when the weather is really nice if it's gotten this bad already.

Did the curfew pass that the city of Southlake was voting on a few weeks ago? I know they were trying to get a curfew in place because of the problems.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:10 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
yes, I beleive the curfew passed. Sun-Th under 17 can not be in Town Square after 11pm w/out a parent (AM I the only one who thinks this is way too late?) Fri and Sat under 17 can not be there past 12midnight w/out a parent.

Again I think it's too late, Don't most teens have curfews? Nothing is open past midnight and most of the later movies are R rated.

I didn't see crime/vandelism as the issue when I've been there. It's mostly just raoming kids. This was way before curfew anyway. My Daughter isn't allowed out past 10pm period. (I now we will augment this when she is in HS, but not for school nights.) But for now I just put the rule into effect that no movies on Fri-Sat nights at Town square. Go in the afternoon or early evening. OUT BY 7PM!!

The Police NEED to be a pressence to deter all the loitering after 9pm when the stores close. either you are going to a movie or to dinner...mOve on. Don't let them just hang out. Pass a no- crusing ordinence etc... But I did not 1 police office around last Friday night. HIRE Private security and More POLICE. if there are lots of police WALKING around, the kids won't be hanging out.

Like I said it's sad, because it's a great place for kids to go and shop, eat and see a movie. But, it is getting out of control. If something isn't doen soon I fear some kid is going to get seriously hurt or killed.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:34 AM

39 posts, read 532,960 times
To the guy who tried to suggest that Highland Park is racist, please get over yourself! Blacks have been living in Highland Park for years (albeit in small numbers), the cops in Highland Park are to be honest more concerned with illegal Hispanic immigrants than they are with any other group.

If you want more diversity, move to University Park.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:05 AM

6,800 posts, read 14,021,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophix View Post
To the guy who tried to suggest that Highland Park is racist, please get over yourself! Blacks have been living in Highland Park for years (albeit in small numbers), the cops in Highland Park are to be honest more concerned with illegal Hispanic immigrants than they are with any other group.

If you want more diversity, move to University Park.

I have never known blacks to live in Highland Park in the 45 years I have been living in Dallas. Maybe you have it confused with Hamilton Park. There is certainly more diversity in South Lake than there is in Highland Park. To some they may be important and to others it may not. I don't think saying there are no blacks or hispanics in Highland Park has anything to do with Highland Park being racist. Those are just the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas