Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 11:55 AM

70 posts, read 162,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
The subject of the post is the relative value of Dallas to Denver. If you believe there are some quality of life issues in Denver's favor, you need to identify them to be even remotely credible.

Dallas is superior to Denver in the many ways that a larger city can offer more than a smaller one.

My quality of life would be better in Dallas. I'd have a better range of entertainment, a better selection of restaurants, a better range of cities to drive to, a more diverse population to interact with, a better choice of career opportunities... and a better rail transportation system...
Dallas is worse than Denver because it is visually appalling. The people are idiots. The traffic jams are not stop. The air is brown. The grass is brown, The trees are brown. The skyscrapers are cartoonish. The population feels segregated. The schools are horrible. The transit system is a joke. The restaurants are bland. The lakes are polluted. The air is polluted. The nightlife is boring. The heat is scorching. No mountains, No beaches, No forest.

I could go on and on but it's time for lunch. I'll be back to tell you what a hell hole we live in later. Stay tuned...

Old 06-26-2008, 12:06 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,985 times
I'm looking at the Denver metro area with a Topo program that gives heights above sea level for specific points in the area. It seems that the bulk of Denver is not that hilly, ranging from about 5200 feet plus change in the lower river valley to about 5400 feet plus change as you proceed away from the valley floor.

The metro's western edge is adjacent to some steep mountains, however, rising about 2,000 feet over the city. The vast bulk of the population doesn't live there, however.

I mention this because one poster seemed to claim that Denver was more hilly than Dallas. From what I see on my Topo program, that doesn't seem to be the case. Not for the bulk of the metro area.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:15 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,328,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassbox View Post
I could go on and on but it's time for lunch. I'll be back to tell you what a hell hole we live in later. Stay tuned...
It's pretty pathetic that you let yourself live in a place you hate so much. Enjoy your own little personal hell - most of us are happy to be here.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:24 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Dallas is worse than Denver because it is visually appalling. The people are idiots. The traffic jams are not stop. The air is brown. The grass is brown, The trees are brown. The skyscrapers are cartoonish. The population feels segregated. The schools are horrible. The transit system is a joke. The restaurants are bland. The lakes are polluted. The air is polluted. The nightlife is boring. The heat is scorching. No mountains, No beaches, No forest.

The "people are idiots" - does that include yourself for living here

Hmm, my grass is AWFUL green and growing like crazy right now. Same for the 25 trees in my yard that are lush and GREEN. The "skyscrapers are cartoonish". LOL!!! Lets see one person that lived here then moved to outside Colorado Springs said we had "no culture" (there ain't much in Colorado Springs ) and put down the LACK OF architecture. You call it cartoonish yet the same things in other cities are hailed as being first class. LOL!!! And Denver doesn't have polluted air. HAHAAHAHAHAHA!!! That IS a good one. LMAO!!! Nightlife is what you make of it. And the nearest beach to Denver is??????? Mountains? There are NO mountains IN the city limits of Denver. There ain't a forest IN the city limits of Denver either . Sure OUTSIDE of Denver there are mountains and forests but not IN it. The schools ANYWHERE are as good as the parents make them and the students try. Your kid can flunk out of school in Denver just as easy as they can in Dallas.

Oh well, I just LOVE these types of posts. They give me a good laugh.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:27 PM

70 posts, read 162,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
It's pretty pathetic that you let yourself live in a place you hate so much. Enjoy your own little personal hell - most of us are happy to be here.
Like I have already stated, the people are idiots.

BTW, I don't intend on being here forever. I think of my time in Dallas as 'survival' or a stepping stone on my way to better things (as I'm sure many, many others do).

But, if I can help to keep anyone else from moving to this horrible place then I feel I have done my part in helping the human race.

While neither Denver nor SF are utopia, either one would be a better choice to relocate to than Dallas.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:28 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,985 times
Quote:
... The people are idiots...
Obviously, you are a complete malcontent in this environment. Isn't it idiotic to stay in a place you don't like?

Of course if you went back to SF, the hills would be brown, the trees in the city would be nonexistent, the sidewalks would be polluted with animal and human waste, the air would be frigid, your career would be in the toilet even if you could find a job, the people would be bizzare by national standards, the rattletrap Muni transit system would suck, the beaches would be too hypothermic to be swimmable, there would be 25 people applying for each apartment, the restaurants would be either unaffordable or grotesque, the schools would be underfunded and ghetto, and you'd find that everyone you know would be trying to sell out and go somewhere else.

Last edited by aceplace; 06-26-2008 at 12:43 PM..

Old 06-26-2008, 12:28 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,245 times
Quote:
Dallas is worse than Denver because it is visually appalling. The people are idiots. The traffic jams are not stop....
LOL! You really don't like Dallas - that's very certain.

About the people: I would be a good fit for SF ideologically but prefer DFW over SF for various reasons. I just ignore some of the annoying super-conservatives here whose whole purpose in life seems to be to interfere with other people's life.

If you don't find compatible people to socialize with in a metro like DFW you are doing something wrong.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:32 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,328,578 times
Quote:
BTW, I don't intend on being here forever. I think of my time in Dallas as 'survival' or a stepping stone on my way to better things (as I'm sure many, many others do).
Yes, with your people skills and rational thinking (or is that rationalizing ), I can see that you are destined for better things in this life.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:34 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Well, quantity is a pretty good way to compare New York to Denver. Or London to Denver. Or Paris to Denver.

Quantity means there are more people in Dallas supporting music, more diversity in the face of competitive pressure, and more choices for the consumer. The Dallas Symphony has a larger population base to draw its budget from, can afford to hire better musicians, can afford to make recording deals, tour Europe, etc. The concentration of wealthy patrons in Dallas compared to smaller cities means Dallas can build better concert halls and more of them.

My preceding post was meant to be comical, but it is an inescapable fact that a smaller city will generally not have as much to offer as a larger one. True, there are exceptions... Branson, MO has entertainment way out of proportion to its size. But Denver is not a Branson, or a Nashville, or a Los Angeles.
True; however,. some of it depends on what you value. You can have a first rate symphony that plays the same Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven pieces till you want to be sick One might prefer a smaller, perhaps less polished symphony that plays Nyman and Glass. Hey I live in Dallas, and I like it here, and The Myerson is an amazing facility with a great Orchestra, but my point is arguing the merits of a city's art scene can get dicey. I often beat up on Dallas's theatre scene for being overly safe, but to others that may be exactly what they want. To leave Denver for a moment and use another city as an example, Let's talk contemporary music. I can't think of how many musicians I know who have moved to Portland because it has a "better" music scene that Dallas. Despite being a fraction of the size.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:37 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
If you don't find compatible people to socialize with in a metro like DFW you are doing something wrong.
Absolutely. In a city this size if you only like Neo-Pagans who like to hunt while listening to the music of Barry Manilow backwards and eating imported Marmite.... I'm sure you could find a group of them, or enough like minded folks to start a group of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas