Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 01:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Dallas not green?? Must have painted the trees then
75238 - Google Maps
Galore this is my fave:

6900 Tokalon Dr, Dallas, TX 75214 - Google Maps

Be sure to use 'street view'.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:19 PM

70 posts, read 162,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Do you mean commercially ?

If you are including residential as well, you are sadly mistaken.

North Texas has forgotten more about first class residential construction than most of the west even knows.

I love the west, but the quality of what Dallasites call "tract home construction' would fall into exotic upper-income living in CA/CO. It's a supply and demand driven characteristic I'm sure. because there is alot of supply, it forces the builders to be very creative when it comes to features, safety, environmental efficiency and design aesthetics. The average joe can buy an extremely well built home in No TX.
I mean commercially, yes. One of the few things I do like about the Dallas area (and Texas in general) are the nice homes. If you want to stay inside your house all day and watch TV or waste some time on the internet (like what we are all doing today), Dallas is just fine.

But the second you step out of your house, watch out, it's all down hill from there.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:24 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassbox View Post
Well, it's not like I have 4 or 5 back to back posts listing reasons to try to convince people that Dallas is superior to Denver, like you made earlier today. I mean if Dallas was really superior to Denver, no one in Dallas would be giving this thread any time at all.
We are responding to a request from the original poster who wanted some information about Dallas and why it would be better for him than Denver.

I see nothing wrong in disseminating information. I am sure that people in Chicago would be equally willing to advise a stranger about the appealing things in their city.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:26 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Quote:
I mean commercially, yes. One of the few things I do like about the Dallas area (and Texas in general) are the nice homes. If you want to stay inside your house all day and watch TV or waste some time on the internet (like what we are all doing today), Dallas is just fine.

But the second you step out of your house, watch out, it's all down hill from there.
Look, for the time being you are here right? Rather than bemoaning how horrible Dallas is to us, make use of us. What is it you miss, Specifically? A lot of what is great in Dallas is harder to find than in many cities, and Dallas has a lot of regionalism, people only know the area in their own back yard. If you tell us specifically what you miss or want. The type of restaurant not "good restaurants" the type of music, art, etc. I bet between us all we can make Dallas a lot more "bearable" for you, you might even decide you like it. I lived four very different places by the time I was a teen; Bartlesville, OK ; London, England; Epsom, England; Dallas, Texas. One thing I learned is even the small towns have a lot of what you are looking for, if you just know who to ask, and the big cities can have stuff so hidden that you need the help of a native.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I guess box hasn't heard of the Pritzker Prize.
No he hasn't, but he's just throwing out random insults, looking for a target that will show a response.

In his home town, SF, there is no such thing as prize-winning architecture by an internationally acclaimed architect. The most they can claim is a small shop by Frank Lloyd Wright downtown, and a F L Wright county building in Marin County. Other than that, they suck.

Here in Dallas, we are fortunate to have representative architecture. In just the Arts District alone, we have so much...

You have to realize that many San Francisco people, especially the most ideologically radical or unconventional, have an innate hatred for places such as Dallas, and will do anything to annoy and offend people from there. I saw a lot of that firsthand when I was there. It's part of their feeling of rejection or disassociation from the rest of "normal" America.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Not as I remember. The streets were bleak and treeless, not a speck of vegetation except for a few signature streets. From the edge of the buildings to the gutter was an expanse of concrete. With a raw telephone pole stuck in it somewhere. I'll never forget the sheer ugliness of those gritty, barren streets and those overhead wires.

The current issue of the newsletter for SF planning agency, SPUR, has most of the issue devoted to the ugliness of the SF street grid, and how the city might, if it had the money, try to raise the aesthetic bar.

The hills are yellow with drought in the summer, with a few trees in the cracks and crevices between two hills. Occasionally there would be a catchment area that would support some forest, but the DFW area has much more land area in forest than the Bay Area.

Besides, nobody's talking about moving to SF here. Probably a lot of people might want to move away, if they can find some place they can fit in.
I bet if you took this nonsense to any other thread on this website, besides the Dallas thread, you would be laughed out of town. SF is known for many things, but ugly is not one of them.

However, most people in America regard Dallas as one of the ugliest cities in the western hemisphere. Talk about power lines. Take a drive up I-35E to Denton sometime. It is 40 miles of freeway blight. And not a mountain (however yellow) or bay, or ocean in sight. Just flat barren wasteland. And why is it that picture postcards never feature photos from west Dallas, south Dallas, or east Dallas.

The overhead wires on SF streets are certainly no uglier than the overhead wires on the Dallas street. But at least there are other things to look at besides wires and blight like in Dallas.

I don't think that Muir Woods National Monument is losing any tourist to any of the 'forest' in the Dallas area. Give me a break.

You should post some of this stuff on some other city's forums at this website and see what kind of reaction and comments you get. Never mind, I'll do it, and we'll just watch the barrage of Dallas haters flooding this thread. You will be in therapy for a month (not a bad idea for anyone who would dare to compare Dallas with SF)

Last edited by Glassbox; 06-26-2008 at 01:52 PM..

Old 06-26-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
No he hasn't, but he's just throwing out random insults, looking for a target that will show a response.

In his home town, SF, there is no such thing as prize-winning architecture by an internationally acclaimed architect. The most they can claim is a small shop by Frank Lloyd Wright downtown, and a F L Wright county building in Marin County. Other than that, they suck.

Here in Dallas, we are fortunate to have representative architecture. In just the Arts District alone, we have so much...

You have to realize that many San Francisco people, especially the most ideologically radical or unconventional, have an innate hatred for places such as Dallas, and will do anything to annoy and offend people from there. I saw a lot of that firsthand when I was there. It's part of their feeling of rejection or disassociation from the rest of "normal" America.
I think it's funny that you think you are making Dallas look better than Denver by insulting SF. And you are downright delusional if you really think Dallas has great architecture. People from other cities laugh at the architecture in Dallas. Victory Fort? HA HA HA!

Now this is getting sad. I probably should stop this, before someone REALLY gets hurt. You sound like you are foaming at the mouth.

Last edited by Glassbox; 06-26-2008 at 01:50 PM..

Old 06-26-2008, 01:49 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,496 times
"Dust Bowl":

[my front yard in Dallas]

Old 06-26-2008, 01:50 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,496 times
"Dust Bowl":

[from my daily bicycle commute in Lake Highlands]

Old 06-26-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I bet if you took this nonsense to any other thread on this website, besides the Dallas thread, you would be laughed out of town. SF is known for many things, but ugly is not one of them.
Maybe SF should promote tourist photos of the Ingleside or Geneva street to become known for ugly city streets.

Quote:
However, most people in America regard Dallas as one of the ugliest cities in the western hemisphere.
You mean as ugly as El Camino Real down the peninsula?

Quote:
The overhead wires on SF streets are certainly no uglier that the overhead wires on the Dallas street. But at least there are other things to look at besides wires and blight like in Dallas.
Yeah, such as a defecating panhandler.

Quote:
I don't think that Muir Woods National Monument is losing any tourist to any of the 'forest' in the Dallas area. Give me a break.
That's because what is a tourist attraction in SF is ordinary in Dallas. Plenty of green forest here compared to the barrenness of SF.

Quote:
You should post some of this stuff on some other city's forums at this website and see what kind of reaction and comments you get. Never mind, I'll do it, and we'll just watch the barrage of Dallas haters flooding this thread. You will be in therapy for a month (not a bad idea for anyone who would dare to compare Dallas with SF)
Now we know you're a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas