Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 11:04 AM

70 posts, read 162,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
When the Denvers reach the bottom of their list of arguments, when they can't think of even one more point in their favor, they have no recourse other than insult.

So now you know they've lost and given up.

Perhaps we should pray for their souls? May the Lord God/Jehovah/Krishna/Whatever grant them respite from their pride, so they may acknowledge their true place in the pecking order of cities. After all, Dallas acknowledges its inferiority to New York and Los Angeles without loss of confidence, and Denver will be better off if it finds its own slot in the great national roster of towns.
Don't take out your frustrations on the people of Denver. Pecking order is pretty open to interpretation.

I moved to Dallas from San Francisco last year for a job. And I am NOT AT ALL impressed with the Dallas area. It's far too bland and adventure-less. If I had to make a choice between Dallas and Denver, I would choose Denver. It's just nicer there. Forget about the art scene. People have to deal with a few more harsh realities in Dallas than the people in Denver do. Dallas in many ways is a hell hole.

Aceplace, you are so dedicated to promoting Dallas that I don't think anyone could take you or your drummed up lists seriously. There is a lot more to living in a city than creating a long list of suburban symphonies and places to watch soccer mom actresses in action.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:13 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassbox View Post
Don't take out your frustrations on the people of Denver. Pecking order is pretty open to interpretation.

I moved to Dallas from San Francisco last year for a job. And I am NOT AT ALL impressed with the Dallas area. It's far too bland and adventure-less. If I had to make a choice between Dallas and Denver, I would choose Denver. It's just nicer there. Forget about the art scene. People have to deal with a few more harsh realities in Dallas than the people in Denver do. Dallas in many ways is a hell hole.

Aceplace, you are so dedicated to promoting Dallas that I don't think anyone could take you or your drummed up lists seriously. There is a lot more to living in a city than creating a long list of suburban symphonies and places to watch soccer mom actresses in action.
If you're originally from San Francisco, you should stay out of Dallas. It will be as weird to you as Dallas perceives San Francisco to be. Your chances of being compatible with the DFW environment are slim to none. Whatever you do, you'll always be a misfit in DFW. It ain't your kind of town.

Actually, I lived in SF and the Bay Area off and on for 20 years. I finally decided it was a hell hole, populated by assorted neurotics, oddball social refugees from the rest of America, and eccentric people driven half mad by constant cold weather. probably first on my list of possible targets in a nuclear war. I like Dallas, partially because it is not a San Francisco, or at least does not contain the social element you find in the Bay Area. And there is nothing in the Bay Area, no urban resource, that I cannot find in DFW.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:18 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
Glassbox - doesn't sound like you were actually in Dallas - but I have to tell you when I visit San Francisco I sometimes run into rude types such as yourself. Maybe that's why you didn't make friends here.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
If you're originally from San Francisco, you should stay out of Dallas. It will be as weird to you as Dallas perceives San Francisco to be. Your chances of being compatible with the DFW environment are slim to none. Whatever you do, you'll always be a misfit in DFW. It ain't your kind of town.

Actually, I lived in SF and the Bay Area off and on for 20 years. I finally decided it was a hell hole, populated by assorted neurotics, oddball social refugees from the rest of America, and eccentric people driven half mad by constant cold weather. probably first on my list of possible targets in a nuclear war. I like Dallas, partially because it is not a San Francisco, or at least does not contain the social element you find in the Bay Area.
Now who's reaching the bottom of their list of arguments, when they can't think of even one more point in their favor, they have no recourse other than insult?

Dallas would be low on a list for possible nuclear targets because after it was hit, no one would know the difference. Or ever even remembered that it ever existed

Yeah, San Franciscans are so jealous of Dallasites. Northern Californians can only dream of having that wonderful toothless, slack-jawed social element you find driving around in their pickup trucks in the Dallas area.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Glassbox - doesn't sound like you were actually in Dallas - but I have to tell you when I visit San Francisco I sometimes run into rude types such as yourself. Maybe that's why you didn't make friends here.
Yes, Lakewooder, rudeness is one of their defining attributes, among other antisocial, dysfunctional and self-defeating character traits.

Half of them are seeing a therapist. The other half are therapists.

I don't know why Dallas companies recruit them. They can't survive in Dallas long enough to justify their relocation costs. And even if they stay, all they do is whine and complain about how horrible DFW is.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Unfortunately, I'm here alright. Actually, I make friends pretty easily in Dallas (I never said there was anything not nice about the people here). I'm only rude on the internet when I start reading these ridiculous posts painting Dallas as some kind utopia, when in reality, it still can't beat places like Denver on quality of life issues.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:34 AM

Well, we'd better get back on post.

The advantages of Denver over Dallas that I've seen so far are in a couple of areas. Denver is close to the Rocky Mountain country and has good access to a lot of mountaineering and western terrain. Also, they are proud of their bike trails.

Anything else that I've missed?

Old 06-26-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm here alright. Actually, I make friends pretty easily in Dallas (I never said there was anything not nice about the people here). I'm only rude on the internet when I start reading these ridiculous posts painting Dallas as some kind utopia, when in reality, it still can't beat places like Denver on quality of life issues.
The subject of the post is the relative value of Dallas to Denver. If you believe there are some quality of life issues in Denver's favor, you need to identify them to be even remotely credible.

Dallas is superior to Denver in the many ways that a larger city can offer more than a smaller one.

My quality of life would be better in Dallas. I'd have a better range of entertainment, a better selection of restaurants, a better range of cities to drive to, a more diverse population to interact with, a better choice of career opportunities... and a better rail transportation system...

Old 06-26-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Yes, Lakewooder, rudeness is one of their defining attributes, among other antisocial, dysfunctional and self-defeating character traits.

Half of them are seeing a therapist. The other half are therapists.

I don't know why Dallas companies recruit them. They can't survive in Dallas long enough to justify their relocation costs.
At least people don't feel they have to 'survive' in San Francisco. Most people feel pretty privileged to live there. If surviving Dallas is the best you can do here, that's pretty dismal.

I don't think I have the market cornered on rudeness on this thread. Aceplace seems to be keeping up with me just fine. But if you have to result to insults... you know the rest...

Old 06-26-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
At least people don't feel they have to 'survive' in San Francisco. Most people feel pretty privileged to live there. If surviving Dallas is the best you can do here, that's pretty dismal.

I don't think I have the market cornered on rudeness on this thread. Aceplace seems to be keeping up with me just fine. But if you have to result to insults... you know the rest...
Well, Glassbox, I have some distaste for the Bay Area, yes I do. But that's a subject for another thread. We're talking about the relative advantages and disadvantages of Dallas over Denver.

Have your say. What objective criteria, valuable to a large number of people, would render Denver more compelling than Dallas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas