Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 11:37 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,596,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
I would assume West Plano.
???

Lived here 20 years and talk and nod and smile to any stranger walking down the street. Yes...even in West Plano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 05:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,430,010 times
I do not agree that people here are not friendly overall. Some are not, but most are. I find that in the suburbs where many people are not from Texas, people are less friendly overall.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:41 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,596,258 times
Yeah, it's the transients...so funny...some So. Cal person blows the op off and he thinks it's all Dallasites...

Old 03-29-2010, 07:14 AM

869 posts, read 2,962,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda05 View Post
Please don't be so hateful. We do have feelings and that is what we are talking about. In this day and age people can not just leave if they don't like where they live. I would love to move back to my home town in California but it is not financially possible. I would just like to meet some people to hang out with and enjoy life.
So what have you done to meet people? Are you and the husband just sitting around, watching American Idol whilst expecting Dallasites to beat down your door asking to be your friends?

When we moved back to the Dallas area, I went and knocked on the doors of my neighbors, introduced myself and the family, and we are now the best of friends with one set. I've met many people through my church, and we've also got several friends from her church. Then there are the baseball parents. Our kids play baseball, and we have ended up befriending several other sets of parents. Have you looked at volunteering somewhere?

Do you have your child involved in any activities, or would he rather just sit in front of the computer? Athletics, scouting or any of that stuff? If he's a homebody, it's going to be difficult to meet people as well.

So if you've done all these things, and still haven't made any new friends, then I'm sorry, but I'm willing to bet that you haven't really tried very hard. Sometimes you have to put a little effort into these things.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:22 PM

35 posts, read 82,187 times
I moved to Dallas from NM in the mid/late 80's and found the people of the Metroplex to be some of the friendliest, nicest people around. People I would encounter at the grocery store or other retail store would strike up a conversation. I don't think New Mexicans are unfriendly but compared to Dallasites it was very noticeable. Maybe it has changed since then?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:11 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,163,738 times
Because you're ugly and cheap. Please get a new face lift (your old one is tired), a new job, car, house and wardrobe.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:14 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,515,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Because you're ugly and cheap. Please get a new face lift (your old one is tired), a new job, car, house and wardrobe.
Heyyy - is there a new snotty Bostonian in DFW? Careful there Subby, yer getting improper ...

Old 03-31-2010, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 4,194 times
Red face Uh -- yeah ok guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I see... so you are morally superior to the 6 million people in DFW?

I don't think the 6 million have a problem. If anyone has a problem, it's you.

I have another theory... if people don't like you, or let you into their cliques, it's because there's something about you that repels them. Most of us choose our friends somewhat carefully.

Maybe you should get off your particular high horse bubba?

I found that Dallas is a very unique city compared to most "southern" cities-- I'm from about an hour north of Boston and been out here just under three years. The people who are friendly-- are too friendly -- like seriously, get outta my business and don't stand so damn close!! and then people are rude as hell... not a lot of happy medium and a surprising number of people who are jerks when they find out I'm a "Yankee".

It's funny though, coming from New York and Boston, the Dallas people ARE typically much friendlier. I think you just have to get used to it to figure out that what is rude to a north easterner isn't rude to a texan and vice versa. just culteral differences that should be fairly easy to overcome if you pay closer attention.

Someone needs to tell some of these people they lost the war or northern aggression!! (Small percentage, but Christ they are annoying as hell! You won't get that crap back home-- oh yeah, we won.)

Old 03-31-2010, 11:16 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,847,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobbeten View Post
Maybe you should get off your particular high horse bubba?

I found that Dallas is a very unique city compared to most "southern" cities-- I'm from about an hour north of Boston and been out here just under three years. The people who are friendly-- are too friendly -- like seriously, get outta my business and don't stand so damn close!! and then people are rude as hell... not a lot of happy medium and a surprising number of people who are jerks when they find out I'm a "Yankee".

It's funny though, coming from New York and Boston, the Dallas people ARE typically much friendlier. I think you just have to get used to it to figure out that what is rude to a north easterner isn't rude to a texan and vice versa. just culteral differences that should be fairly easy to overcome if you pay closer attention.

Someone needs to tell some of these people they lost the war or northern aggression!! (Small percentage, but Christ they are annoying as hell! You won't get that crap back home-- oh yeah, we won.)
The first two paragraphs I agree with completely. The best way I can think to describe Dallas on the whole is friendly, yet snobby. People in Dallas will do anything for you, they are nice, they will invite you to different places, they will approach you, etc. BUT they want to make sure you know that Dallas is better than wherever you came from. I have encountered this many times. I actually get more of that last part in Houston, but its still evident in Dallas. Maybe its a Texas thing.

I have yet to meet someone who talks about the civil war, because I have yet to really meet anyone from the deep South, or even Texas itself.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:51 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,146,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
The first two paragraphs I agree with completely. The best way I can think to describe Dallas on the whole is friendly, yet snobby. People in Dallas will do anything for you, they are nice, they will invite you to different places, they will approach you, etc. BUT they want to make sure you know that Dallas is better than wherever you came from. I have encountered this many times. I actually get more of that last part in Houston, but its still evident in Dallas. Maybe its a Texas thing.
Dallas in real life (outside of internet forums) is the stereotypical Texas city, with the bigger and better attitude in my opinion. I wouldn't say Dallas is snobby, but is more image driven than other cities in the state. Houston in real life doesn't have the bravado that Dallas has in my opinion, but some individuals from Houston on CD give off that impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas