Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:34 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,797,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
azriverfan you must have lived out in some fringe burb and you refuse to acknowledge that Dallas County has elected Democrats to nearly every office (including Lesbian County Sheriff, Gay County Judge - head of county, the nation's only big city Black DA etc) in the last few years - you continue to paint a picture of right-wing evangelical rednecks despite all evidence to the contrary.
Youre wasting your time.

Azriverfan is going to continue to spout his mostly baseless claims about Dallas no matter what you say. Ive tried to reason with him/her, but its hopeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Dallas people are friendly but only with the hope that you conform to their way of life and culture. Although Dallas had a lot of immigrants and ethnic groups, they seemed segregated. The local population seemed to tolerate them but not embrace them because they were not Christian or American in terms of their culture and accent. There is a huge Evangelical presence in Dallas and they aren't so friendly when they find out you don't go to Church and are too liberal. They expect you to think everything about Texas and Dallas is awesome and if you don't, they take it personally.

In Houston, Austin and San Antonio, it's much more laid back. There is less proselytizing. There is less of that fake church-like "I want to convert you friendliness" and more genuine friendliness. They seem to embrace their immigrant population more than Dallas but again I think this has to do with the Catholic dominance of south Texas as opposed to the Southern Baptist dominance in Dallas. This is why people in south Texas don't appear as readily friendly because they aren't being fake. They are being real and real people don't just walk up to you and want to be your best friend.
There are so many things wrong with this post.

1) The largest religous group in Dallas county is Catholicism, not Baptist.
2) More than 50% of DFW and well over 50% of Dallas is NOT from Dallas or Texas at all. They are from other places (Southern California, Chicago, and Latin America are the biggest contributors).
3) This huge evangalical community you speak of is mostly in the suburbs. Even then its not nearly what youre making it out to be. Ive been here almost a year and not once have I had anyone ask me about religion. Im out and about alot for work so I would notice. There are alot of churches, but its not as if people come out and try to convert you while youre minding your own business.

Ive got more news for you, I dont live any different here than I did in LA. Im politically dead. I dont give a **** about it. Ive had conservatives and liberals try to tell me why their way is correct just like I have in LA, but I ignore it and the dont get mad or anything. Ive not had one person try to get me to conform to their way of life.

If Dallas is this bad, do explain why we have a lesbian sheriff and a gay friendly mayor.

The Dallas you speak of is the Dallas of 20 plus years ago, not the Dallas of 2010.

Azriverfan, if you come back with a rebuttle, come back with facts that can be documented or dont come back at all.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:23 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,217,148 times
Well 20 years ago we had a female Democrat Jewish mayor...one of three Dallas female Democrat Jewish mayors (Adlene Harrison and Laura Miller were the others).

Old 04-01-2010, 12:37 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,523,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Well 20 years ago we had a female Democrat Jewish mayor...one of three Dallas female Democrat Jewish mayors (Adlene Harrison and Laura Miller were the others).
Annette Strauss was earlier than that wasn't she? I'm thinking she was the mayor in the early 80's.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:40 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,523,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Azriverfan, if you come back with a rebuttle, come back with facts that can be documented or dont come back at all.
Azriverfan never lets facts get in the way of his/her vendetta against Dallas.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Azriverfan never lets facts get in the way of his/her vendetta against Dallas.
The funny thing is that it works the same way every time. The second someone starts throwing out things that can be documented, he runs away.

For the record, I have no problem with people hating Dallas. But only if they hate it for what it is. Azriverfan and some others hate it for what it isnt.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,217,148 times
Annette (I think she would like being called by her first name) was elected in 1987. Early 80s was Woodrow Wilson Wildcat and Tom Thumb Grocery guru Jack Evans (he liked being called by his first name also!).

Old 04-01-2010, 04:07 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,134,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Perhaps its the people I work around. I get sick and tired of them telling my how and why Dallas is a inferior and just downright awful every ****ing time I go there. Ill list some of the things Ive heard:

1) "I hate Dallas because everyone who lives there is from Dallas" - This is anywaywrong, Dallas and DFW have a 53% out of state or out of country birth rate.
2) "I hate Dallas because the Vietmanese people there are Fobby (fresh off the boat) and classless." - Vietnamese woman siad this
3) "I hate Dallas because people dress up too much." - Its true, Dallas is more dress than Houston, but is that a reason to hate a place?
4) "I hate Dallas because there are too many rednecks in Fort Worth." - Really?
5) "I hate Dallas because the cops pulled me over there." - I wrote her off because, her ex-husband ran off with somebody and moved to Dallas
6) "I hate Dallas because the people there are so snobby." - at the rate this dude was going, he could have easily been thrown in the same catagory

Then I have my own father who lives in Sugar Land. Everytime I go for a visit, he tells me how much he hates Dallas.

Maybe I am just around the wrong people, but I have no choice because these yahoos are one of my biggest clients. I can tell you right now that when people from our Houston office come up, we dont have people in our work place (nor our clients) that hound them about why Houston is awful (I should know since Im always with them when they come up). All I can say is that this has left me with a more negative impression of the people there. These people may very well be the exception to the rule, but theyre the only ones I get to interact with.
That is unfortunate. Hopefully, you won't generalize Houstonians as that way. Like I've said, sports seems to be the biggest real life rivalry from my experience.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
That is unfortunate. Hopefully, you won't generalize Houstonians as that way. Like I've said, sports seems to be the biggest real life rivalry from my experience.
And I dont want you to think that I think everyone from down there is like that, but when one is your own father, its hard to escape.

Most Houstonians I meet in casual settings are very nice and when I mention that Im from Dallas, nothing negative comes out.

I wish the Houston/Dallas rivalry was more like the LA/San Fran rivalry. People in LA and San Fran envy each other in a way, but they also realize the magnitute of each other and have alot of respect for each other. I have yet to see that attitude in Texas. Texans are alot more in your face.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:07 PM

965 posts, read 1,889,432 times
I think that azriverfan isn't that far off the mark, at least in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas