Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 06:19 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobbeten View Post
'm from ... Boston and ... people who are friendly-- are too friendly -- like seriously, get outta my business and don't stand so damn close!!
--- LOL --- Yup, you're from Boston alright ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 08:37 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Dallas in real life (outside of internet forums) is the stereotypical Texas city, with the bigger and better attitude in my opinion. I wouldn't say Dallas is snobby, but is more image driven than other cities in the state. Houston in real life doesn't have the bravado that Dallas has in my opinion, but some individuals from Houston on CD give off that impression.
It has nothing to do with CD. There are a whole hell of alot of Houstonians who like to tell you how much better their city is than where you came from. They especially like to tell you how Dallas sucks. I spend a week a month working in Houston, and I notice it frequently. Its not as common out and about, but in the professional world its all too obvious.

While I dont disagree that Texas may be stereotypical in attitude, thats about where it ends for Dallas being the stereotype of Texas.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:26 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
It has nothing to do with CD. There are a whole hell of alot of Houstonians who like to tell you how much better their city is than where you came from. They especially like to tell you how Dallas sucks. I spend a week a month working in Houston, and I notice it frequently. Its not as common out and about, but in the professional world its all too obvious.

While I dont disagree that Texas may be stereotypical in attitude, thats about where it ends for Dallas being the stereotype of Texas.
Well I am a Houston native and have never noticed that sort of Dallas vs Houston rivalry/negativity that seems to be on CD. I'm not calling you a liar but that simply hasn't been the case in my 19 years in Houston. The other 6 years I spent in the Austin area there wasn't any rivalry or negativity either. There can certainly be rivalry when it comes to sports.

Perhaps not being from Texas you have different perspective on Texas, but from experience through family and friends that call Dallas home there is a slightly different attitude.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:40 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Well I am a Houston native and have never noticed that sort of Dallas vs Houston rivalry/negativity that seems to be on CD. I'm not calling you a liar but that simply hasn't been the case in my 19 years in Houston. The other 6 years I spent in the Austin area there wasn't any rivalry or negativity either. There can certainly be rivalry when it comes to sports.

Perhaps not being from Texas you have different perspective on Texas, but from experience through family and friends that call Dallas home there is a slightly different attitude.
Perhaps its the people I work around. I get sick and tired of them telling my how and why Dallas is a inferior and just downright awful every ****ing time I go there. Ill list some of the things Ive heard:

1) "I hate Dallas because everyone who lives there is from Dallas" - This is anywaywrong, Dallas and DFW have a 53% out of state or out of country birth rate.
2) "I hate Dallas because the Vietmanese people there are Fobby (fresh off the boat) and classless." - Vietnamese woman siad this
3) "I hate Dallas because people dress up too much." - Its true, Dallas is more dress than Houston, but is that a reason to hate a place?
4) "I hate Dallas because there are too many rednecks in Fort Worth." - Really?
5) "I hate Dallas because the cops pulled me over there." - I wrote her off because, her ex-husband ran off with somebody and moved to Dallas
6) "I hate Dallas because the people there are so snobby." - at the rate this dude was going, he could have easily been thrown in the same catagory

Then I have my own father who lives in Sugar Land. Everytime I go for a visit, he tells me how much he hates Dallas.

Maybe I am just around the wrong people, but I have no choice because these yahoos are one of my biggest clients. I can tell you right now that when people from our Houston office come up, we dont have people in our work place (nor our clients) that hound them about why Houston is awful (I should know since Im always with them when they come up). All I can say is that this has left me with a more negative impression of the people there. These people may very well be the exception to the rule, but theyre the only ones I get to interact with.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 04-01-2010 at 06:51 AM..

Old 04-01-2010, 10:45 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Quote:

I agree completely with this. On CD, some members have an agenda to depict Dallas as a liberal urban gay friendly city on the likes of San Francisco. In real life, it's your typical Texas city. There is a lot of bravado and machismo in the city. It's much more Southern in feel than any of the large Texas cities.

The reason Houston feels so different is its a part of south Texas. South Texas feels different because it's more diverse and is more Roman Catholic and not as Evangelical. It's also less southern in feel. Whereas Dallas feels like your typical Southern albeit more wealthy than say Memphis, the attitudes were the same. Houston felt like a more urban "Northern" city if you will with more diversity and less of that southern machismo or "**** sure" good ole boy attitude that Dallas is known for.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
Disclaimer - azriverfan absolutely hates Dallas and posts often about that hatred.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobbeten View Post
The people who are friendly-- are too friendly -- like seriously, get outta my business and don't stand so damn close!! and then people are rude as hell... not a lot of happy medium and a surprising number of people who are jerks when they find out I'm a "Yankee".

Someone needs to tell some of these people they lost the war or northern aggression!! (Small percentage, but Christ they are annoying as hell! You won't get that crap back home-- oh yeah, we won.)
Dallas people are friendly but only with the hope that you conform to their way of life and culture. Although Dallas had a lot of immigrants and ethnic groups, they seemed segregated. The local population seemed to tolerate them but not embrace them because they were not Christian or American in terms of their culture and accent. There is a huge Evangelical presence in Dallas and they aren't so friendly when they find out you don't go to Church and are too liberal. They expect you to think everything about Texas and Dallas is awesome and if you don't, they take it personally.

In Houston, Austin and San Antonio, it's much more laid back. There is less proselytizing. There is less of that fake church-like "I want to convert you friendliness" and more genuine friendliness. They seem to embrace their immigrant population more than Dallas but again I think this has to do with the Catholic dominance of south Texas as opposed to the Southern Baptist dominance in Dallas. This is why people in south Texas don't appear as readily friendly because they aren't being fake. They are being real and real people don't just walk up to you and want to be your best friend.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Disclaimer - azriverfan absolutely hates Dallas and posts often about that hatred.
Disclaimer: if you dislike anything about Dallas on this forum you are automatically labeled a hater by the residents here. I've also complimented Dallas' economy, schools and low cost of living. But some Dallas residents get offended if you bring up the fact that it has a huge Evangelical presence and is a part of the Bible belt with conservative thinking. They want to depict Dallas like it's San Francisco. If you disagree then you are a hater

Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,757,014 times
I agree with some of the previous posts about transients affecting the "Texas friendliness". If Dallas is over 50% immigrants/transients or whatever, then most likely the rude people aren't even from Texas. And if they are from Texas, they are probably fed up with all the transients, etc. Just a thought.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
azriverfan you must have lived out in some fringe burb and you refuse to acknowledge that Dallas County has elected Democrats to nearly every office (including Lesbian County Sheriff, Gay County Judge - head of county, the nation's only big city Black DA etc) in the last few years - you continue to paint a picture of right-wing evangelical rednecks despite all evidence to the contrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas