Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:53 AM

10 posts, read 100,902 times

Advertisements

How is living in Dayton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2006, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 50,214 times
If you want to know about living in Dayton? Just know there are iron bars on the windows and doors of all the buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
How is living in Dayton?

Old 05-24-2006, 03:49 AM

10 posts, read 100,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige104
If you want to know about living in Dayton? Just know there are iron bars on the windows and doors of all the buildings.
Hey man, are you serious?From Daytons web site it does not look like this!
Have fun there?

Old 05-26-2006, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 38,118 times
I would never live within the city limits of Dayton, but the surrounding subburbs are a great place to live. (Oakwood, Vandalia, Kettering, Centerville, Brookville, Bellbrook, Troy, Tipp City, etc)

Old 06-04-2006, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 52,365 times
Default From Dayton?

Rick Derringer was from Dayton. I think Rob Lowe was from there. The Wright Brothers. Jonathon Winters was a hilarious fellow and for years the Winters Bank Tower was an icon in Dayton.
Well Dayton has changed quite a bit over the years, but has proven to be somewhat resilient.
Inner city crime is a problem. My aunt and uncle live one block north of the city limits and just a few houses off North Main Street. They were the victims of a violent home invasion just over a year ago. Sad that the world in general is sliding down that slope.
All in all the Dayton area has a lot to offer. The Miami Valley is also known to some of us as Sinus Valley for its unique allergen trapping geography. But, you gotta love it!
...except that I moved to Florida! LOL!

Old 06-05-2006, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 38,095 times
Default Dayton...

I have lived throughout Ohio during college and my career, again find myself living in the Dayton area. Let me offer some insight to our city...not to mention others.

1. I pesonally wouldn't live in most of Ohio's big city downtown areas...not just Dayton's...Toledo, Cleaveland, Youngstown, Cincinnati and Columbus inner cities are all fighting the same issues as Dayton.
2. The Dayton SUBURBS offer a very comfortable, affordable setting to raise family's, create friendships and enjoy good housing. Dayton is simliar to Cincinnati in that it has polarized itself, meaning in Cincinnati either your from the East Side or the West Side but rarely do you find someone that likes both. Similar situation in Dayton however here it more like the North and South. Both offer great suburban atmospheres, neighborhoods, schools, etc...but you'd have to be crazy to up there.

Honestly, the north side offers areas such as Tipp City, Troy, Vandalia, Englewood while the south side offers Oakwood, Centerville, Kettering, Bellbrook and Springboro. I could live in any of these places.

3. Education seams to remain a popular theme regardless your locale. However keep in mind the top 1000 school systems in the country were recently posted and the Dayton Area was represented by Oakwood and Centerville (congratulations).

4. Commute times - to me this has always seemed funny, a traffick jam in the city may delay you by 15-20 minutes nothing compared to Cleaveland or Cincinnati's race tracks.

5. Shopping - the major shopping centers are on the east and south sides: The Mall at the Fairfield Common (Beavercreek), The Greene (Beavercreek/Kettering), The Dayton Mall (Miamisburg/Centerville)

6. What Dayton lacks? Mountains, oceans, major sporting events. If you can with stand a 45-minute drive south you can watch professional sports, just over an hour east and you can see Ohio State sports, west Indy 500, North Walleye fishing.

All in all this is home and will be for some time. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:23 PM

30 posts, read 172,123 times
I grew up in Dayton and would still feel comfortable living in the South east area - Belmont and Patterson Park areas but that would be the only places. Other than for an occassional play, there is no reason to go into much of Dayton or downtown Dayton at all - the inner city and West side has bad crime. North Dayton is also pretty bad re: crime.

Kettering is the first suburb out of the city to the south/east (other than Oakwood - nice but expensive $$$). Kettering is nice and safe but there are many GM associated plants in the area that will probably close and that means lots of unemployed and probably higher taxes. Recently Kettering raised its income tax, so more money will flow into Kettering from Dayton wages but that means Dayton will probably counter hiker their income tax - neverending.

All the southern and eastern suburbs are nice - Kettering, Centerville, Bellbrook and Beavercreek but they all are raising property taxes every other minute. I love the area but will probably move because property taxes just keep climbing and no end in sight. I think Beavercreek may be the lowest as far a property tax(?). West Carrollton is a south - sw suburb - nice but I am not that familiar with it. Beavercreek is growing and has the nicest mall.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:46 AM

3 posts, read 41,272 times
We live in Pioneer, OH very rural, 1400 pop. on a lake. Husband has a job offer in Springboro. We spent time yesterday in and around the Dayton area. I could never live in Dayton. Can anyone suggest a rural, small town around the Springboro area? Please all help would be appreciated

anne

Old 06-14-2006, 07:42 PM

976 posts, read 3,860,467 times
Dayton's inner city core is getting better. But it still has a ways to go. But the suburbs are great. Some can be pricey in some areas. But i find most of Dayton's suburbs to be safe with good schools.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:45 PM

73 posts, read 320,536 times
I believe I read somewhere that for cities its size, Dayton is the most dangerous in the US. Dont, quote me on that, but I would believe it. But, I have to say that Ive never been there, I just know its reputation. Im sure, like all cities, it has its good parts, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton