Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 11:00 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
hi everyone - im from connecticut but moving to magnolia if i ever get my things packed - i found delaware perfect - everyone is so friendly i love it - im going to be 4 miles from the beach also perfect - if anyone has any recommendations on pizza i would appreciate it but im rather fussy and like thin crust pizza only (what do you expect since new haven ct is famous for its thin crust pizza) - i would be willing to travel a bit so it doesnt have to be located in magnolia but if its about within a 25 mile range that be great - from reading some of the posts i guess my yankee and giants clothing will not be appreciated at least in public - looking forward to joining everyone shortly
Good luck in your move! I will be in your shoes about a year from now. I am also in CT and for this next year I am enjoying all the things around here I did not have time to do while working - having my fried clams, New Haven pizza, hope to attend some harvest suppers at nearby churches in the next few weeks. Then when I move to the Dover area, I will enjoy what they have down there - crab cakes come to mind. I am sure there is good pizza in Delaware - Delaware Today magazine (which I subscribe to) had a whole issue on pizza not too long ago.

Enjoy your adventure!
Eileen in East Haven CT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 12:06 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
For thin crust pizza, try Grotto's in the Milford area, on Coastal Highway. It's just south of the 113 turnoff to go into Milford. (About one mile south of that on Coastal Highway). It's a new location and I've never gotten in the place yet since I choose not to wait a half hour or more for a seat. Probably no long waits now this time of year. I like Grotto Pizza, some don't. I've been patronizing their other locations in Delaware since the 60's. It's what Delaware is all about. Grotto Pizza – The Legendary Taste – A Delaware Pizza and Family Restaurant for over 50 Years
and here's their history in Delaware History | Grotto Pizza – The Legendary Taste – A Delaware Pizza and Family Restaurant for over 50 Years

About your sports teams - there are so few of those team shirts around here, that you probably will stand out.
I've had Grotto a few times, at Rehoboth and at Frawley stadium. It's good pizza. My personal opinion (and on pizza, everyone's opinion is valid) is the Frederica is among the best pizza I've ever had. In particular, their "New York Style" pizza is extraordinary ... just the right thickness of the crust, very little oil drip, a good amount of cheese, very tasty sauce and nicely spiced.

RDLR - if we can work it out (and I know your schedule is a challenge) next time I'm down, why not meet me at Frederica's. My treat!

Old 10-21-2011, 01:17 PM

9,719 posts, read 14,257,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
I've had Grotto a few times, at Rehoboth and at Frawley stadium. It's good pizza. My personal opinion (and on pizza, everyone's opinion is valid) is the Frederica is among the best pizza I've ever had. In particular, their "New York Style" pizza is extraordinary ... just the right thickness of the crust, very little oil drip, a good amount of cheese, very tasty sauce and nicely spiced.

RDLR - if we can work it out (and I know your schedule is a challenge) next time I'm down, why not meet me at Frederica's. My treat!
Thank you so much! Deal!
But I must say.....I really like Frederica Pizza House' pizza and have been there a number of times. Opening Day was a memorable occasion, since they started out on that little side street in Frederica, then built where they are now. It was good pizza at the little place, too, but they outgrew that location. We loved that quaint little place, though. Grotto and Frederica Pizza House pizza are different, both good, I think.
What do they say about lips and hips?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Default Alma

I had to share this unique experience -
I just returned from an Amish farm, west of Dover, to buy some beets and squash. As I paid the Amish lady, my eyes were drawn to hers as I searched my memory for how I might know her, and she did the same. At the very same time, we both laughed and hugged one another. It was Alma, my childhood friend from 1948 through 1952. Alma had married (younger than I) and her husband took her away to live in Ohio, she told me. She returned to Delaware last year, after raising 13 children. Almost apologetically, I told her I married also, but "only" had 3 children. Alma invited me inside for dinner (our lunch) and to meet her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. Her family was very quiet, but Alma was the same as I remembered her as a child. She laughed and talked like she did then, and it seemed that 60 some years apart meant nothing to us. We talked about her parent's farm, my parent's farm (which was across the road from theirs); then we talked about where our lives have taken us, the experiences we had, both good and bad. Then I told her how I appreciated all the things she taught me when I was a little girl - the importance of family, respect for others, how to be frugal and also, how to wring chickens' necks, dig sweet potatoes, milk cows and goats, and "put up" canned goods. For a little over 3 years, at an impressionable age, Alma and I were inseparable. We played hide and seek in our barns and theirs, and shared all our important secrets, including, where our diaries were hidden (just in case one of us would die, we said). Alma also told me today that the one thing we promised one another when we were 9 years old, could not happen. We pledged to one another then, that we would be buried alongside one another when we died. It was a tearful reality, we both acknowledged. This has been a wonderful and unusual day! I'm so glad I found Alma!

Old 11-01-2011, 12:08 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Que the joyous music, i was with you all the way enjoying the story of a rediscovered friendship, until you had to include the line, "how to ring a chickens' neck'. I am happy that you were able to find an old friend especially one that you were so close with but that visual we all could have skipped!!!! Happy to hear of the reconnect.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 11-01-2011 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-01-2011, 12:42 PM

84 posts, read 206,331 times
I'm moving to Magnolia in 77 days due to a job move. And I'm super excited. Currently living in the DC metro area (Maryland) and I'm done with the people, the traffic, etc.

PJ1252-You'll fit right in with my Giants gear as well But we need to have a discussion about that Yankees thing.

And since I am originially a Jersey Girl, I too need to find good pizza anywhere I go. On one of our house hunting journeys, we stumbled upon Frederica Pizza. It was fabulous! I was giddy as a school girl to see garlic knots! People in MD look at my funny when I talk about garlic knots! There is a pizza place here that is owned by a couple guys form NY, so they make garlic knots even though they aren't part of the franchise menu. My husband tried them and finally figured out what I was talking about! And that is the reason I was sold on Frederica Pizza as soon as I walked in the door! Plus the pizza was delicious. We plan to go there since we won't be too far away..it's just dangerous

Old 11-01-2011, 02:25 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj215 View Post
And since I am originially a Jersey Girl, I too need to find good pizza anywhere I go. On one of our house hunting journeys, we stumbled upon Frederica Pizza.
I'm with you 100%. The pizza at Frederica is excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I had to share this unique experience
This was a great story. Thanks for sharing it. It goes to show that true friendships endure. Sometimes they hit speed bumps, sometimes they go for great lengths of time without contact, but eventually friendships that were "meant to be" endure. I'm glad you found Alma.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:33 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,879,943 times
what a wonderful story, rdl. almost sounds like the plot for a great movie ! I hope you will stay in touch !

(13 kids .... imagine !!!)

Old 11-03-2011, 01:38 AM

Thank you!
As a child, living so close to, and being accepted by the Amish, was truly a gift. While Alma walked 2-3 miles to the Amish schoolhouse, I rode the school bus to our school, which was actually similar to theirs. We had 3 grades in one room, while she had 6 grades in one room. As my 'best friend' I would do anything for her. I even tricked my teacher into thinking I was an avid reader, checking out so many books from the library. Little did they know, those books were for Alma (no library in her school) and she so looked forward to that new bunch of books every two weeks. Scary when I think how we would read together by the light of an oil lamp in the hay loft, and we were only 9, 10, 11 years old. That was another world, another time, and I wouldn't trade that childhood experience for anything.
Yes, we will stay in contact now.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
rdlr - I loved your story about finding your childhood friend. Since we've moved quite a bit, I have lost friends along the way and have had enjoyed finding them again on facebook. Not nearly as nice as hugs and a meal, but a good feeling too.

We drove through Delaware on our way home from the outer banks in September. I really wanted to detour through Milford, but had to settle through just a quick jog past my childhood home near the HS. Someday soon I'm going to make time to really visit and take a walk downtown. I understand that the downtown has made a bit of a comeback from the decade previous.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware