Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 12:25 PM

6,832 posts, read 9,389,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
I'm happy for you if you've never felt chronic pain from MS and/or cancer or other catastrophic illness. You might feel differently if you had.
I don't understand your point. Colorado already allows medical MJ, even prior to the passage of Amendment 64. A bunch of other states allow medical MJ, too. I think it's sad that people want to move here specifically because of recreational pot. But again, just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 12:42 PM

532 posts, read 1,070,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I don't understand your point. Colorado already allows medical MJ, even prior to the passage of Amendment 64. A bunch of other states allow medical MJ, too. I think it's sad that people want to move here specifically because of recreational pot. But again, just my opinion.
We're just not communicating well; it depends on what you mean by "sad." Pathetic? Unnecessary? Unfortunate? An error in judgment? An indication of a wasted life (no double entendre intended)?

It sounded to me like a criticism, but I could be wrong. At least two people posting on this thread intend to move, in order to get med mj without the hassle of gov. interference and in order to feel better, due to chronic pain. To say it's "sad" is a little insensitive, if you mean it in a negative way.

Alternatively, you could also mean that you think the laws of every state should allow this, and it's "sad" that they don't; then your remark is not insensitive. Just depends on what you mean, but I felt compelled to defend the other person (the non-partying writer).

As everyone knows, it's easy to misunderstand someone's writings on the net because there is no accompanying facial expressions, body language and usually, no context which would aid a more accurate interpretation. Normally, however (and this does not apply to you necessarily, it's just a generalization), but normally, if people have told someone repeatedly to take their foot out of their mouth, the following old Yiddish saying might apply: "If one man calls you an a$$, you can ignore him; if five men call you an a$$--buy a saddle!!!!"

Usually, too (in my experience), if someone retorts that the other is being "too sensitive," nine times out of ten it is them who is the INSENSITIVE one, but this insensitivity is deeply ingrained and nearly impossible for the offending person to recognize in themselves due to lack of introspection and emotional intelligence. See: Yiddish saying, above.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:37 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,584,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
I did not know that Albuquerque and Denver were both "mile high" - in fact, I was going to dispute the issue, but I looked it up and of course, you are right. That's encouraging; I lived in Alb. for two years and had no problem at all, not with the altitude or the weather. I don't remember it ever being that cold, however, but that was about 12 years ago.

Why I think that Denver is this horribly freezing, inhabitable place, is past my understanding, but apparently I do. [It may have something to do with the fact that I have MS and am a little unsteady on my legs; I've lived in warm climates most of my life, especially recently, and I'm afraid I'll move somewhere where I'll slip and fall on the ice if I go outside.]
We have more of a winter than ABQ, but the large amount of sunshine is quite similar. It snows here more often and will get colder, but not markedly. When we had our cold snap the beginning of December where we saw lows of -13, the low in ABQ was 13. On the flip side, our summers are a little bit more pleasant. I'm down there for work all the time.

It is currently 46 and sunny in Denver and 44 and sunny in ABQ.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:57 PM

6,832 posts, read 9,389,012 times
The people who posted in this thread -- which is titled "Countdown to recreational mj sales" -- who want to move to Colorado because of ailments with symptoms that can be managed by medical marijuana don't have to wait until January 1, as MMJ is and has been available for quite some time. I wasn't directing my criticism toward those with medical issues, though I would hope that they weren't waiting for January 1, since it's something that is available now.

My criticism is directed toward those who heard about Colorado on the news and now want to move here -- sight unseen -- because of recreational marijuana. There's A LOT more to Colorado than marijuana and I feel like ever since Amendment 64 passed, all I hear about is people who want to move here because of it, and no other reason.

But then again, it's just an opinion, and I don't expect everyone to agree. I'm not the thought police and I'm not the gatekeeper of Colorado, so it's not like I can personally keep anyone from moving here. I just feel like generally there are better reasons to move here than the ability to (legally) get high.

To get back on topic - I think it will be interesting to see what the sales are like and if the high taxes are a turn-off to Colorado residents - will they start growing their own and getting "plants from a friend" instead, while leaving the shops to cater to those who come in from out of state?

Old 12-30-2013, 02:14 PM

532 posts, read 1,070,253 times
Quote:
The people who posted in this thread -- which is titled "Countdown to recreational mj sales" -- who want to move to Colorado because of ailments with symptoms that can be managed by medical marijuana don't have to wait until January 1, as MMJ is and has been available for quite some time.
Med mj is *NOT* available in Texas, and not in a lot of other states, also. Academic programs, yoga, Aikido, Krav Maga and other athletic training programs, also play a part. Not available here, not the way they are in Denver, not that developed. Fleeing narrow-minded conservatism is another good reason. I cannot imagine that the availability of med mj could be the ONLY reason for moving to Colorado, regardless of medical issues.

OP

Old 12-30-2013, 05:30 PM

55 posts, read 129,039 times
Quote:
I'm just curious to see what happens over time, especially since MJ will be taxed heavily. Will most residents get "plants from a friend" (or however it's ridiculously stated in the state constitution) and grow it themselves, leaving the stores to sell mostly to out-of-state residents?

Either way, I don't use MJ and have no plans to start now.

As a side note, I think it's sad that people want to move to Colorado specifically because of this. But that's just my opinion.
It's not the only reason I was moving away from North Carolina. There are a lot of reasons for that. But it is one of the main reasons I chose Colorado over some of the other possible states I could have moved to. Having friends there is another. Wanting a low-humidity environment (see my username) is another. And so on.

I'm sorry if you think that's "sad." Perhaps if you ever found yourself crying in the ball on the ground in pain, unable to have access to the only medication that really works for you, it would make more sense.

edit--sorry, I responded before seeing your other post. I see what you're saying now. I was aware that it was legal medicinally there, but I haven't moved yet for other reasons. Also, getting a medical card isn't that easy in some situations. Right now, I'm staying with family in California. It's legal medicinally here, but many counties ban it. I'd have to drive really far to get it if I lived here.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:42 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,267,365 times
If you move to Colorado mainly or solely because of legal marijuana, you are just an addicted pothead. And yes, marijuana can be very psychologically addicting. We recent had relatives (ages 35 to 65) come to our house for dinner, and they actually stepped outside to get high. Whenever they do anything they get high. They can't go out to dinner without getting high, otherwise it would be no fun.

MJ is fine on occasion, and yes it is less destructive than those who abuse alcohal. But I don't believe for a moment that it is always just a nice harmless little plant with no adverse physical side effects and no possibility of addiction.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:54 PM

55 posts, read 129,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
If you move to Colorado mainly or solely because of legal marijuana, you are just an addicted pothead.
Sweeping generalizations are always fun.

Marijuana is a hobby, an interest and a lifestyle for some people. There is nothing wrong with that, and it doesn't necessarily make a person an addict. You can love something and use it in a healthy way and still have it be an incredibly important passion in your life. It's like saying there is something unhealthy about a theater enthusiast moving to be near the Broadway shows.

I do agree marijuana can be addictive, but so can anything good.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:18 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,267,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofhumidity View Post
Sweeping generalizations are always fun.

Marijuana is a hobby, an interest and a lifestyle for some people. There is nothing wrong with that, and it doesn't necessarily make a person an addict. You can love something and use it in a healthy way and still have it be an incredibly important passion in your life. It's like saying there is something unhealthy about a theater enthusiast moving to be near the Broadway shows.

I do agree marijuana can be addictive, but so can anything good.
I have to disagree with you. Tell the "hobbyist" that he or she cannot have marijuana for the next six months, and watch the reaction. Why? Because there is no substitute for the high, and life cannot be enjoyed without the high.

The Broadway show addict can find something else to do for six months without going into a total funk or emotional breakdown.

Again, MJ every now and then, is fine.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:03 PM

9 posts, read 13,210 times
I don't see how it is any different from people who home brew or go to wine tastings or are likewise involved in a particular hobby culture. It's true there is something addicting about it at some level but if there's some kind of funk or breakdown when it isn't available, it's more because the routine has been broken up. Some people would feel the same way as described above if they couldn't have a beer or two during a football game or wine during a dinner out on the town. It's all about the ritual and routine and maybe a little because altering your state of mind a bit helps to change gears and enjoy some leisure after working all day.

Heck, you could throw exercise into the conversation. I know people who are grumpy all day if they don't get in their morning run.

There's nothing special about marijuana in that sense. It's like most everything: fine in moderation for most. Like alcohol or bacon or running, it can be overdone and for some people it's just not a good fit to their personality and/or life situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver