Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 01:01 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
If min. wage is $25/hr, then I want $75/hr to do what I currently do then.

+1. OP needs a reality check. Buying a house is out of the question until you've got at least $40-50k saved for a down payment+emergency funds, which isn't going to happen any time soon.

OP: Move in with the baby's father or find roommates. The way you're wording it, it doesn't seem like you have your associate's yet, so working minimum wage jobs will be the norm for someone who is young with just a HS degree. Apply for food stamps ASAP and you should be able to get into section 8 housing.

In addition, I'm confused. You say you're on the full PELL grant, which is $5775/year. A local community college (in Denver) appears to be around $2600/16 credit hours. That should cover a full year's tuition. I don't understand how your books are costing $5775/year.
That was a typo. I meant $15. But yeah, you probably should be getting more too. Everyone from the upper middle class on down is being screwed over by the billionaire/millionaire class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 01:13 PM

95 posts, read 154,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I'm wondering

......if this is another weed relo

Shh!

You aren't allowed to say that's a reason for people to move to Denver. It's ALWAYS about tech jobs, a booming downtown, and skiing.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:17 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberpills View Post
Shh!

You aren't allowed to say that's a reason for people to move to Denver. It's ALWAYS about tech jobs, a booming downtown, and skiing.

and craft beer and sunshine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That was a typo. I meant $15. But yeah, you probably should be getting more too. Everyone from the upper middle class on down is being screwed over by the billionaire/millionaire class.
If I'm getting screwed, I'm sure not feeling it. Sure, health insurance is screwing me pretty good, but all I have to do to fix that is to be poor again. Instead, I'm going to go the other route, and find out how good it feels to screw over everybody up in the millionaire class.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:54 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,626 times
Quote:
and craft beer and sunshine.
I don't know why everyone is assuming that everyone that moves to CO is doing it for weed.

I've had edibles a few times in my life. My overall experience.... meh. It makes me feel lazy, and since I'm constantly busy doing things, being lazy doesn't add much.

I want to for the: sunshine, mountains, hiking, camping, lack of bitter grey winters, and the more laid back attitude of people. And maybe micro breweries instead of clubs

Old 02-04-2016, 02:01 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
The funniest thing is traveling and everybody wanting to know about marijuana. Uh, I have no idea. I don't do weed.

OP, I don't know what to tell you. It's quite expensive here, and I think the others are right. You'd be in over your head financially here.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:12 PM

930 posts, read 700,724 times
Knowing what I know now about the area, there's no way I'd move here on $10.50/hr and I don't even have a child. It would be near impossible unless you're on every welfare program that the government has to offer. But then again, there are a lot of welfare cases that do live here. Section 8 housing is just about everywhere.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:26 PM

760 posts, read 884,107 times
I feel bad, maybe, when I talk about this transfer with friends from home. The friends who didn't really do much with their life are all, "Oh man you are so lucky", "maybe ill move too", "I heard boulder is awesome, ill have to check it out". Or the friends who visit for the first time and make comments like, "We are SO moving here next year" *Insert RMNP Elk Selfie*. Meanwhile they work as a server or in a coffee shop. All I say now is, "Find a job here first and make it happen".

I even know of people who tried to move out right after high school, and ended up moving back 6 months later (pre 2007).

I really shouldn't crap on peoples dreams, I have been dreaming about this for the last 5 years, but reality has to set in eventually.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:50 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Quote:
I don't know why everyone is assuming that everyone that moves to CO is doing it for weed.
Because they are.

I've been on this forum since 2007, but didn't really get active on the Denver forum until I moved here later that year. Before the weed thing, we were just another city. We were in a list of cities, consisted of the Cleveland's, San Diego's, and Portland's of the world. Just another city. Another place to relocate to for work, another place to get transferred to, another place to downshift from the more crazied locales on the coasts. There is nothing incredibly remarkable about Denver as a city, that puts it in a class exceedingly above its peers. Yeah, it's probably better than Cleveland, but most western U.S. cities have pretty good arguments too (most all western cities are up against mountains, most have fairly sunny climates, accessible outdoor activities, etc).

But then this weed thing hit. All of the sudden, all of these people want to move here "not" for the weed. Denver is suddenly on the map.

Quote:
I want to for the: sunshine, mountains, hiking, camping, lack of bitter grey winters, and the more laid back attitude of people. And maybe micro breweries instead of clubs
Every city in the west (save for Seattle and Portland on the sunshine) can get you these things. I came for snow and Del Taco. The only other place I can find that combo is Detroit.

I want you to move here. I want people with enthusiasm for the place here (as opposed to the alternative), so good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The funniest thing is traveling and everybody wanting to know about marijuana. Uh, I have no idea. I don't do weed.
It sure is a conversation starter, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I feel bad, maybe, when I talk about this transfer with friends from home. The friends who didn't really do much with their life are all, "Oh man you are so lucky", "maybe ill move too", "I heard boulder is awesome, ill have to check it out". Or the friends who visit for the first time and make comments like, "We are SO moving here next year" *Insert RMNP Elk Selfie*. Meanwhile they work as a server or in a coffee shop. All I say now is, "Find a job here first and make it happen".

I even know of people who tried to move out right after high school, and ended up moving back 6 months later (pre 2007).

I really shouldn't crap on peoples dreams, I have been dreaming about this for the last 5 years, but reality has to set in eventually.
I think wanderlust is good for the soul. If somebody has a dream, they should just up and do it, instead of wondering what might have been. Every day I ask myself how I got here, and what am I doing here, and the answer is "...I don't know". Sure beats whittling life away back where I grew up, never having had any adventure or different tastes of life; if I was still back home I'd probably be making 1/3 the money and be sitting in traffic right now. No thanks.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:07 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,626 times
Quote:

Every city in the west (save for Seattle and Portland on the sunshine) can get you these things. I came for snow and Del Taco. The only other place I can find that combo is Detroit.
Most other cities won't get you jobs though. At least in Denver, there's a decent job market. CO Springs, Boise, Bend, Spokane, etc are all great places. But I'll bet its much harder to find a job there than Denver.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:13 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
Quote:
Because they are.

I've been on this forum since 2007, but didn't really get active on the Denver forum until I moved here later that year. Before the weed thing, we were just another city. We were in a list of cities, consisted of the Cleveland's, San Diego's, and Portland's of the world. Just another city. Another place to relocate to for work, another place to get transferred to, another place to downshift from the more crazied locales on the coasts. There is nothing incredibly remarkable about Denver as a city, that puts it in a class exceedingly above its peers. Yeah, it's probably better than Cleveland, but most western U.S. cities have pretty good arguments too (most all western cities are up against mountains, most have fairly sunny climates, accessible outdoor activities, etc).

But then this weed thing hit. All of the sudden, all of these people want to move here "not" for the weed. Denver is suddenly on the map.

I want you to move here. I want people with enthusiasm for the place here (as opposed to the alternative), so good luck!

It sure is a conversation starter, lol!

I think wanderlust is good for the soul. If somebody has a dream, they should just up and do it, instead of wondering what might have been. Every day I ask myself how I got here, and what am I doing here, and the answer is "...I don't know". Sure beats whittling life away back where I grew up, never having had any adventure or different tastes of life; if I was still back home I'd probably be making 1/3 the money and be sitting in traffic right now. No thanks.
I would be sitting in traffic and not owning a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver