Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 03:38 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Most other cities won't get you jobs though. At least in Denver, there's a decent job market. CO Springs, Boise, Bend, Spokane, etc are all great places. But I'll bet its much harder to find a job there than Denver.
You got me there. In Spokane (where I lived once), if you get a $10/hr job, you hold onto it for life.

Then again, Denver doesn't have sub $500 apartments like Spokane does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I would be sitting in traffic and not owning a home.
Me too!!!!

Old 02-04-2016, 04:54 PM

18 posts, read 109,939 times
Thanks for the responses....

(1) I already live here. I guess that wasn't clear. I'm just staying with relatives. I grew up in Denver, moved away in high school, and moved back a couple of years ago (with baby dad).

(2) Moving in with his father is not an option.

(3) And I wasn't thinking about buying a house...renting.

Bottom line, there have to be other single parents in Denver who are poor. I can't be the only one. I'm curious to know how other people make it work because I cannot think of a way to make this happen, besides to quit school and work two or three low-wage jobs, and be stuck in that cycle forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 07:37 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcortona View Post

(1) I already live here. I guess that wasn't clear. I'm just staying with relatives. I grew up in Denver, moved away in high school, and moved back a couple of years ago (with baby dad).

Bottom line, there have to be other single parents in Denver who are poor. I can't be the only one. I'm curious to know how other people make it work because I cannot think of a way to make this happen, besides to quit school and work two or three low-wage jobs, and be stuck in that cycle forever.
Section 8 housing with roommates. Pretty much your only option for now until you can get a better job.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:45 PM

112 posts, read 141,178 times
Quote:

I'm guessing others do it by applying for Section 8, collecting food stamps, TANF, LEAP, Medicaid, etc.

There's no magical answer. They either have help from the government, family, friends, fathers, etc. or they find a way to make more money, work multiple jobs, etc. Or they move.

And you can probably find a room to rent, or another single mom roommate (I would search high and low for this setup), or an affordable apartment that would maybe fit your budget. You have to be resourceful.

Is there a reason the father can't find a better job? Is there a reason that an additional wah job wouldn't work for you? Weekend job?

It's great you have a job with a childcare discount, but having your ex make more that you could collect in CS would probably be helpful.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:03 PM

98 posts, read 115,162 times
As an idea of the cost of living in this area- I took a job paying a little over $20/hr when we first moved here a little over 3 1/2 years ago. As the sole income earner for a family of 4 money was TIGHT. We didn't really reach the point of comfortable until my wages increased by about 30% and my wife took a part-time job while the kids are at school.

My point being $20/hr is difficult in the Denver Metro even with free childcare. Attempting it on half of that has a very low probability of success.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:10 PM

98 posts, read 115,162 times
Quote:

DO NOT quit school! Education is the key to increasing your employability and increasing your wages. Take advantage of the opportunity for free tuition. Sticking to it and getting a BS in Business will greatly increase your opportunities and qualify you for positions that start at double the wages you are making now.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:33 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,948,020 times
Quote:

Bottom line, there have to be other single parents in Denver who are poor. I can't be the only one. I'm curious to know how other people make it work because I cannot think of a way to make this happen.
The cost of living has skyrocketed here the last few years, but at the same time the number of people living in poverty has declined. Why? Because people with the lower incomes are leaving.

You need to come up with a plan. A smart plan.

-Do you have any family that you can live with even if you have to pay rent? This would be your first step. They can also help with childcare.

-You need to research aid that is available to you. Food stamps and everything else. Get every bit you can.

-Your child's father is going to need to contribute more. He is the one who needs to find a better job or more crappy jobs. Don't be soft on him. Court might be your only option.

-Research better paying jobs.

- Don't drop out of school. Getting a better paying job is the solution to your problem. You just need to a bridge to that diploma.

Wrap all this up into a plan, and then go talk to the family members that might help you. You will get a lot farther when you can show them that you understand the hole you are in and what it is going to take to get out.

Good luck. I'll be pulling for you.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:01 PM

384 posts, read 508,117 times
I would apply for any and all aid available to you. That will help SLIGHTLY!!!

Then, you're going to need a second job. (Honestly, I know Nannies making better money than you are getting right now - so start looking around).

Getting a house and setting up a daycare is a lofty dream at this point (and frankly you are probably too young - nothing personal, but no one will want to be your first customer). Also, I believe 10 kids would be illegal for only one adult in a licensed in-home facility (I think that number is 6, though there are some age dependencies).

Also, $20 a day is CRAZY low. $45 a day is the minimum for a good place right now, and $50-$60 is far more common. We currently pay over $250 a week for a 5 year old - younger kids are even pricier).

Your best bet frankly outside of family is to try and find a couple other people in a similar situation as yours and SHARE an apartment and help each other with watching each other's children while you look for something that pays more and has a brighter future. (SCREEN THESE FRIENDS CAREFULLY!!)

All of this though requires 2 things:

#1 - Don't Give Up!!!

#2 Work your tail off!!!

That is the only way it'll work for you, and the only path to living a more prosperous life in the future.

I'll also add - it's always been and always will be hard for young people with children. That hasn't (and won't) change. Take some slight solace in knowing many, many people have battled through their initial circumstances to much brighter futures.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:55 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,948,020 times
If in Denver, check out Denver Human Services.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:17 PM

204 posts, read 202,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Because they are.

But then this weed thing hit. All of the sudden, all of these people want to move here "not" for the weed. Denver is suddenly on the map.
I am not moving here for the weed (I am already here, my wife will follow in a couple of months). I have never tried it and don't plan to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I want to for the: sunshine, mountains, hiking, camping, lack of bitter grey winters, and the more laid back attitude of people. And maybe micro breweries instead of clubs
This is pretty much why we are moving here. I hate the heat and humidity of Houston and what I consider a lack of natural beauty anywhere close. West Texas is pretty, but quite far from Houston. Plus I missed the snow. Denver became our winner because a job opened up at the company I worked for in Houston and they are paying for my move. Other places were on the list, but I don't want to leave the company I work for.

To the original topic, I have not been here very long and know very few people outside of where I work. The people outside my work all have multiple jobs and either a roommate or are a two income family and still have multiple jobs. One person I know has three jobs. As a PP suggested, I would look into getting roommates that are maybe in a similar situation. Or look at moving to an area with a lower cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver