Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 03:30 PM

131 posts, read 295,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
There was a story on PPL migrating away from CA, OR and WA a few days ago on Fox Business. Said TX and CO were the prime destinations. Building hasn't stopped near me in Arvada. Houses aren't lasting long on the market and going for asking and above. The story talked about bidding wars. Concluded with CO becoming more $$$ for housing in the near term.

We are considering cashing out and moving somewhere else. I can do my job from anywhere and we are very travel focused and that is down.

That and the browness of everything is a drag.
Where would you move to? I guess there is no real perfect spot. I live on the ocean right now, and it's great but I can't wait to escape the constant heat and humidity among other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
I have a better view of them in my front yard, and I'm only 15 minutes from downtown (which I can see down my block). In Arvada, about 2 miles N/NW of Berkeley. Commutable to downtown or the NW tech corridor (but not the DTC). It's boring as heck though, early 60's suburbia, but well within your price range.

TBH you probably would like the western edges of Denver north of Sloan's Lake, Lakewood, or Wheat Ridge.

I feel this post so much.
Thank you. I need to look at Arvada more. Tough call since I could see a new company hiring me in the DTC if I switched jobs so I'd have to negotiate WFH if I lived in Arvada.

Old 08-22-2020, 01:11 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,464,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLguy View Post
Where would you move to? I guess there is no real perfect spot. I live on the ocean right now, and it's great but I can't wait to escape the constant heat and humidity among other things.
There is no perfect spot....I do like that it cools off quickly at night in CO. But the Snow in late April/early May is getting old, the ever brown, traffic to the mtns, dryness, and the small lots in the Denver metro are a buzz kill. Now that I have young kids we want a big yard they can play in and a yard have our own pool. We are looking at the Carolinas in the blue ridge mtns. I work mostly remote now, if I can get approval from the boss man I think we'll pool the trigger next year.

We were back east visiting family for a few weeks and when we got back to Denver last week, the scorched earth and smoke really suck. I appreciate the green so much more.

I also dont like the direction CO politics are going.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:47 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,031,619 times
I live on the Eastern part of Denver, right on the Border between Aurora and Denver. If I were moving to Denver Metro. I would move to City Park. A east central location or central location is always better than living in the suburbs. Why? Because if you need to go in any direction it's a 15-30 min trip. If you live on the south side and need to go North it's longer. One of the benefits of living a little east of Downtown is that if you commute at normal times you're not looking into the sun. If you live on the west side of denver you're always looking into the sun. Being centrally located you're also connected to the services that Denver has to offer like recreation centers, farmer markets, hospitals, weekly fairs and music. Living in the city you're also close to public transportation and the airport. Denver is the real city in the metro area. You also have awesome arts and museums in Denver. The city is constantly evolving and you won't spend as much time in your car. You can go shopping or recreating in the city within 15 minutes of your house. Lots of great restaurants and bars will reopen. COVID will not kill Denver. Politically, Denver has a lot of power in CO, and that will not change. No matter how big Aurora or CO Springs grows. Once things are entrench it's hard to change things. Denver is the vanguard politcally.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
There is no perfect spot....I do like that it cools off quickly at night in CO. But the Snow in late April/early May is getting old, the ever brown, traffic to the mtns, dryness, and the small lots in the Denver metro are a buzz kill. Now that I have young kids we want a big yard they can play in and a yard have our own pool. We are looking at the Carolinas in the blue ridge mtns. I work mostly remote now, if I can get approval from the boss man I think we'll pool the trigger next year.

We were back east visiting family for a few weeks and when we got back to Denver last week, the scorched earth and smoke really suck. I appreciate the green so much more.

I also dont like the direction CO politics are going.
Funny I go to NC a lot for work now. I like the green aspects of it too. I hate how conservative it is, the humidity and pollen and the hurricanes. I want to escape all of those things, which i deal with now in FL. Of course I have wanted to live in the west all of my life because I prefer the dry air and vibe of it more.

Definitely get the brown part, but the places im looking to buy in are all green with trees.

I wish I liked the Carolinas more because the housing prices are amazing there. Id go there quite often and try to sell myself on moving there but I never could. I think it's more about SouthEast Coast fatigue in my case.

I have been looking around in Wheat Ridge and I really like this area. It's quiet and very close to the city, Berkeley and the Highlands. Trying to close on a house I found now.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-23-2020 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 08-25-2020, 07:20 PM

Sorry to bump the thread but I was curious what you all thought of the Marston Lake area and the parts near the Chatfield Reservoir?

It looks really nice around there but I wonder if you are too isolated for day to day stuff. I'd probably work in the DTC or downtown, but not commute every day. I can see myself needing to fly now and then once C19 ends as well, but not enough to move close to the airport.

Lost my bid on the Wheatridge house, but I am sort of glad since it was a rather expensive house considering what you get for it. I do like that location too, so ill keep looking but I keep getting drawn towards Littleton as well.

Also I know some of these areas are more older people and we are in our mid 30s.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:08 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Quote:
Sorry to bump the thread but I was curious what you all thought of the Marston Lake area and the parts near the Chatfield Reservoir?
Very chill, all very good, lots of families/good schools, very suburban, kind of boring/generic, lots of driving down long suburban boulevards, decent/good mountain views. Housing from 1950s to 2000s.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:53 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:

It looks really nice around there but I wonder if you are too isolated for day to day stuff. I'd probably work in the DTC or downtown, but not commute every day. I can see myself needing to fly now and then once C19 ends as well, but not enough to move close to the airport.

Lost my bid on the Wheatridge house, but I am sort of glad since it was a rather expensive house considering what you get for it. I do like that location too, so ill keep looking but I keep getting drawn towards Littleton as well.

Also I know some of these areas are more older people and we are in our mid 30s.
Nice area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Very chill, all very good, lots of families/good schools, very suburban, kind of boring/generic, lots of driving down long suburban boulevards, decent/good mountain views. Housing from 1950s to 2000s.
Perfect description.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:53 PM

Thank you both. This has been tearing me up between trying to find a good location thats lush with trees and near some cool spots (not strip malls), tennis courts, trails and not too far out. Obviously you can't have everything unless your budget is higher than mine (id prefer 550k or less, I know this is low).

I keep going between Centennial, Littleton, then looking up closer to the city. Wondering if I should get a new house in a lesser area or an older one in a more established and nicer location. The west side of Englewood was not my thing, I really only liked the northeast side, which of course costs more for less house.

HR is too far and cookie cutter but you can get a newer house for less. But then I think about if I'd be happy driving everywhere all the time and I know I wouldn't.

Been looking at so many houses that I am going crazy..lol. This is just a lot to try and figure out plus get an offer in that I actually can win. First time home buyer problems.

Boils down to Littleon and a bit of a drive but more house for the money and some really nice mountain views or less house, like a duplex and more convenience. I still am leaning towards Littleton.

My favorite spots in south denver so far are university park, the spots near Wash Park, and that strip down to north englewood and the swedish hospital. Just to give an idea of areas I really think are cool but are also expensive. An area with a similar vibe that is not such a hot spot would be awesome.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:08 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Lowry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver