Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:27 AM

367 posts, read 1,285,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeDenver View Post
The reason is actually quite simple. The reason why Denver is listed as a colder zone than Washington D.C., is that Denver can and does hit EXTREMES in weather. While the overall temps can be more mild, the cold temps in Denver can and do get extreme, and those extremes can hit in March, April or even May. This can and does kill off more vegetation than a Washington DC winter.

For example, in Washington D.C., the coldest temperature ever recorded was -15°F. In Denver, the coldest temperature ever recorded was -29°F. Denver can have frost as late as May 20th. In Washington DC, that day is April 23rd. Almost 4 weeks in difference.

The city of Denver is the land of extremes and can and does get frost as late as May and as early as September and it can get to double digit below zero temps, all these factors combine to make Denver a Zone 5. All those factors make it hard for plants to survive. A plant is more likely to survive a Washington DC winter than it is to survive a Denver Colorado winter. The Denver extremes, and the probability of them as late as May and as early as September make it hard on plants. So the USDA lists Denver as Zone 5 and Washington DC as Zone 8.
I see your point. Actually, temps in DC rarely dip below 10 degrees Fahrenheit so I think that is the main reason it’s considered zone 8. The (minus 15 degree) Fahrenheit temp in DC was recorded over 100 years ago. I don’t think DC will ever hit that again because of the urban heat island effect and Potomac River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 11:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Yesterday was mild, huh?
No, the high in Denver was 26 yesterday, 31 in Boulder. Supposed to be 42 today in Boulder, is already 45 in my backyard in Louisville.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:29 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, the high in Denver was 26 yesterday, 31 in Boulder. Supposed to be 42 today in Boulder, is already 45 in my backyard in Louisville.
Because am I the only one who thinks white skies, faded sunlight, white snow everywhere is absolutely depressing as opposed to blue skies, blinding sunlight and clear everything

While I was scrapping snow off the car during the snowstorm, I felt like being spanked by my school teachers. I wanted to sit inside my car and cry.

If this is mild, then actual weather over the years should have been telling!

Old 03-28-2009, 12:44 PM

17 posts, read 50,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Because am I the only one who thinks white skies, faded sunlight, white snow everywhere is absolutely depressing as opposed to blue skies, blinding sunlight and clear everything

While I was scrapping snow off the car during the snowstorm, I felt like being spanked by my school teachers. I wanted to sit inside my car and cry.

If this is mild, then actual weather over the years should have been telling!
If you live in Denver long enough, you will see that you can have a nice, mild winter and the next years winter will be very cold, snowy, blizzards and miserable with sporadic warm days sprinkled within.

Just like the summers. Some can be nice while others, like last year, it can be very hot (100F+) and very dry. The 5,200+ feet elevation makes the summer even hotter because of the elevation and relation to the sun, the temps are about another 15-20 degrees hotter in the sun. So when it hit 100F last year, it was actually 115F-120F in the sun.

It all comes down that Denver's location makes for some extreme and erratic weather. Once again, that is why Denver is Zone 5 and places like Washington DC are Zone 8 (the higher the number, the milder the winter and weather). Chicago and Denver are BOTH Zone5 according to the USDA. Overall it might not be AS COLD as Chicago or New York but it can and does hit the colds New York and Chicago get.

Remember, the coldest temperature ever recorded in Chicago was -24F and the coldest temperate ever recorded in Denver was -29F. While Denver avg's higher than Chicago in winter, Denver can and does get some extreme colds.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
If you live in Denver long enough, you will see that you can have a nice, mild winter and the next years winter will be very cold, snowy, blizzards and miserable with sporadic warm days sprinkled within.

Just like the summers. Some can be nice while others, like last year, it can be very hot (100F+) and very dry. The 5,200+ feet elevation makes the summer even hotter because of the elevation and relation to the sun, the temps are about another 15-20 degrees hotter in the sun. So when it hit 100F last year, it was actually 115F-120F in the sun.

It all comes down that Denver's location makes for some extreme and erratic weather. Once again, that is why Denver is Zone 5 and places like Washington DC are Zone 8 (the higher the number, the milder the winter and weather). Chicago and Denver are BOTH Zone5 according to the USDA. Overall it might not be AS COLD as Chicago or New York but it can and does hit the colds New York and Chicago get.

Remember, the coldest temperature ever recorded in Chicago was -24F and the coldest temperate ever recorded in Denver was -29F. While Denver avg's higher than Chicago in winter, Denver can and does get some extreme colds.
Is it really true that 100 degrees can feel hotter in Denver just because it's a mile closer to the sun? I'm very surprised to hear that because I always thought that humidity can make it feel colder or hotter, and not one mile closeness to the sun.

Case in point, I hear that 10 degrees in Denver is comparable to 30 degrees on the east coast - because 30 degrees on the east coast combined with the humidity feels much colder. The same that an 80 degree temp on the east coast with high humidity feels like a 100 degree Denver day since Denver is very low in humidity.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
Is it really true that 100 degrees can feel hotter in Denver just because it's a mile closer to the sun? I'm very surprised to hear that because I always thought that humidity can make it feel colder or hotter, and not one mile closeness to the sun.

Case in point, I hear that 10 degrees in Denver is comparable to 30 degrees on the east coast - because 30 degrees on the east coast combined with the humidity feels much colder. The same that an 80 degree temp on the east coast with high humidity feels like a 100 degree Denver day since Denver is very low in humidity.
I've questioned that myself. It's only one mile closer out of 93,000,000 miles. But it feels hot because when it gets to 100 degrees, there are virtually no clouds in the sky, you can't get away from the heat unless you go indoors or sit under a tree. I don't really know the science of it, but I know it's for real. A 90 degree day is much different. It may get up to 90 by noon, then cloud up, and rain in the late afternoon before clearing again. Or, it may stay at 90 for hours, in which case you feel hotter.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:13 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Is it really true that 100 degrees can feel hotter in Denver just because it's a mile closer to the sun?
It's not that you're a mile closer to the sun, it's that there's a miles less of atmosphere above you and very little water vapor to absorb or reflect the sun's radiation. The sun in Colorado is no joke. I've been told that if it take you a hour to burn at sea level, you can burn in 15 minutes in Colorado. I think the dryness is a bigger factor than many people expect. I know when we get Santa Ana winds in SoCal, even when the wind isn't actually blowing, it's very dry and those days remind me of Denver: DEEP blue skies and intense heat from direct sunlight, yet much more comfortable in the shade.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:15 PM

17 posts, read 50,538 times
Quote:
Yes, being 1 mile or 5,200 feet above sea level in elevation makes the suns rays much more intense. Also, a mile-high city like Denver has a mile less atmosphere to protect it than a sea-level city like Washington, DC. Higher elevations tend to receive more solar radiation than those at lower altitudes. For every 1,000 feet of additional altitude, ultraviolet (UV) radiation increases by about 6%. Denver, the Mile-High City, receives approximately 30% more UV radiation than a location at sea level at the same latitude.

In the summer, if it is 95F in Denver, it can easily be 110F - 115F in the sun. As temps are recorded IN THE SHADE. Standing in the sun, one can add 15-20 degrees during peak summer sun. The elevation and latitude play roles in this reading. Skin cancer rates are VERY HIGH in Denver.

So when it is 85F during the summer in Denver, it might be dry (low humidity) but the elevation will make it feel like it is 95F - 100F+ in the sun.

That is why one can ski in the Rockies at 9,000 feet and get sunburned during January. Elevation, plus the sun reflecting off the snow, combine for some wicked UV's.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, being 1 mile or 5,200 feet above sea level in elevation makes the suns rays much more intense. Also, a mile-high city like Denver has a mile less atmosphere to protect it than a sea-level city like Washington, DC. Higher elevations tend to receive more solar radiation than those at lower altitudes. For every 1,000 feet of additional altitude, ultraviolet (UV) radiation increases by about 6%. Denver, the Mile-High City, receives approximately 30% more UV radiation than a location at sea level at the same latitude.

In the summer, if it is 95F in Denver, it can easily be 110F - 115F in the sun. As temps are recorded IN THE SHADE. Standing in the sun, one can add 15-20 degrees during peak summer sun. The elevation and latitude play roles in this reading. Skin cancer rates are VERY HIGH in Denver.

So when it is 85F during the summer in Denver, it might be dry (low humidity) but the elevation will make it feel like it is 95F - 100F+ in the sun.

That is why one can ski in the Rockies at 9,000 feet and get sunburned during January. Elevation, plus the sun reflecting off the snow, combine for some wicked UV's.
I'm learing something new everyday. I always thought that the stratosphere (a part of the ozone layer) which is approximately 10 km to 50 km above the earth is what was responsible for absorbing the radiation from the sun. Plus I had no idea that radiation made it feel hotter. I had no clue that Denver being a mile above caused this. I bet if you visit the east coast during summer with high humidity you would take back what you say. Humidity can make a 70 degree day feel like 90 degrees.

In terms of getting a sunburn on a ski slope, I thought it was the the sun's reflection from the snow and not being on high altitude. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:02 PM

35 posts, read 67,790 times
Higher UV rays here in Colorado have everything to do with elevation (lack of atmoshere)the reflection off the snow only amplifies that effect on the skin...Great way to deal with that is a product line made here in Colorado for this altitiude and climate called Skin Trip. Moisturizes and keeps your face and lips from burning..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver