Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 02:46 PM

21 posts, read 85,959 times

Advertisements

I wish I were there to check out Bradburn myself, though I'm wondering if we drove through it during our last deep-dive city search in 2005. Did it exist then? The pics look awfully familiar to me, and now your discussion of the beige houses next door are ringing a bell as well. If it's the neighborhood I'm thinking of, I loved the architectural diversity and community feel.

I appreciate everyone's specific comments on neighborhoods, and I probably erred in not making it clear that political and social ideology is far from my sole criteria in a neighborhood. But alot of other information that is relevant to a relocation can easily be found on-line -- housing prices, school scores, weather, proximity to recreation, commute times, etc. But certain "soft" subjects can only be handled by actually talking to people or posting on a board like this. I don't want to waste anyone's time by inquiring about the easy topics, I was looking for the nuances and I think I got it. Thanks to everyone who had productive responses.

As for 3D, by your own admission you have made such a laundry list of assumptions and judgments about me, my view of the world, my intentions, my verbiage, even my forward-looking behavior (wow, even my husband of 15 years can't do that!). I could spend all afternoon posting back about how faulty (most of) your assumptions are. But I don't have the time or temperment. I'm going to take the good advice of many who have private messaged me and just ignore your posts. Life's too short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 04:06 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmsegal View Post
As for 3D, by your own admission you have made such a laundry list of assumptions and judgments about me, my view of the world, my intentions, my verbiage, even my forward-looking behavior (wow, even my husband of 15 years can't do that!). I could spend all afternoon posting back about how faulty (most of) your assumptions are. But I don't have the time or temperment.

You're right about life being too short. I will take the high road here (which is actually inevitable because of our altitude) and apologize for being snippy. I have made every effort in my previous posts on different subjects to be as helpful as possible (which is my way of paying it forward as it wasn't long ago that I was searching for as much information as I could get my hands on when my husband got a job transfer). Liberalism is alive and well here in our city. This is not the Bible Belt or Salt Lake City (which I'm sure if you look long enough you would find plenty of non-conservatives). That's what I should have said at the beginning, and to quote from another poster: "What's this big hang up on having to be near liberals? Are you expecting the neighbors to be burning effigies of George McGovern on your front yards a couple of times a week, if you don't live in a liberal neighborhood?"

So, I will get back to actually being helpful and you should get back to looking for a place to live. I love city-data.com for that reason...there are so many great posts here that it can really help you pinpoint an area, no matter how ridiculous your requirements are.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:25 PM

698 posts, read 2,047,503 times
Quote:
I wish I were there to check out Bradburn myself, though I'm wondering if we drove through it during our last deep-dive city search in 2005. Did it exist then?
Yep, they started building in 2001, so it was here. There's a strip mall development also next to us on the west side across the street from the beige neighborhood (which I actually like very much--more stores!) that has a Wendy's, IHOP, a 24 hour fitness and a bunch more. Not really any landmarks I can point out that might jog your memory, other than we are on 120th ave between Federal and Sheridan. Here some more pictures online--which you've probably seen if you Googled "Bradburn Village", but just in case:

http://www.simmonsbuntin.com/images/...8/nu/bradburn/

This year all our home schools, elementary through high school, were rated "high" on the Colorado school accountability ratings.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:42 PM

275 posts, read 1,471,617 times
Here are some articles about Bradburn, Stapleton and similar developments in the Denver area... ^ I think the pictures Bradburn1 provided the link to is from these articles. It's too bad they don't show more of the community life in the photos... I think they were focusing on the architecture, but anytime I've been to Stapleton, Belmar, Bradburn, etc. they have been way more lively than the photos depict.

Stapleton, Bradburn Village, Prospect New Town
Next American City » Daily Report » Denver: America’s Great Urban Canvas, Part I

Lowry, Belmar, Iris Hollow, Holiday
Next American City » Daily Report » Denver: America’s Great Urban Canvas, Part III

Background Info from the author
Next American City » Daily Report » Denver: America’s Great Urban Canvas, Part II (A Temporary Sidetrack to Decide How I Decide)

nmsegal -- Good luck with everything, keep an open mind (which i personally think you have) and check out places that you may not necessarily think you would like... you never know, maybe you'll end up in Centennial living next door to the3Ds and become best friends.

I personally would not rule out Denver either, depending on the age and needs of your kids you might find a niche in the city... there are specialized schools for older kids, gifted programs, charter schools. etc. There are several good elementary schools... I think Bromwell is generally considered the "best" -- Bromwell Elementary and Morey Middle feed into East High I believe and they are all in central Denver and pretty highly regarded.

I know that two of the most helpful posters on the Denver Forum, DenverAztec and BlueWillowPlate are DPS products, so they must be doing something right!

Old 04-02-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I'm going to take the good advice of many who have private messaged me and just ignore your posts.
That reminds me...

Does anyone know how to respond to reputation comments? I keep getting them from people (I just logged back on and there were 4 more...I thought they were just from one person with too much time on their hands, but it seems as if their friends have gotten in on the act too and I don't know how to ask them to stop) with all of these links trying to prove to me that Denver is better than Portland. I don't know where I said I didn't like Portland. I have family and very close friends there (I was just there for a baby shower last month). My husband applied to work at the Portland Airport. I don't need the statistics.

Besides, it seems like nmsegal and I have decided to waive the white flag. There is no need to debate what amounts to opinions anyway.

Finally, to the person who has found this thread and decided to send me reputation comments calling nmsegal names, you make yourself seem rather childish and you clearly don't even read any of her posts since she is not a "militant lesbian". Gawd. She said she has kids and a husband.

Anyhoo...I will sign off of this one and leave it to Bradburn who seems to be contributing to the thread.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyLL View Post
you never know, maybe you'll end up in Centennial living next door to the3Ds and become best friends.

Ha ha. Actually, my newest friends on my block are a couple who used to live in Eugene, OR. We started up a conversation at the mailbox and they're coming over for dinner on Saturday. We joked that we have "Pacific Northwest Radar" since I have met more people from the Washington/Oregon area than any other place. Maybe I should get out my wool socks and Tevas again!

Old 04-02-2009, 06:17 PM

698 posts, read 2,047,503 times
Oh the neighborhood is lively, believe me LOL! This article talks about the social aspect at the very end (scroll all the way down)

Bradburn Village in Westminster, Colorado : UnSprawl Case Study : Terrain.org

Old 04-02-2009, 06:22 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyLL View Post
...I know that two of the most helpful posters on the Denver Forum, DenverAztec and BlueWillowPlate are DPS products, so they must be doing something right!

Wow, thanks MobyLL! I think Denver schools are what you make of them as a student, additionally, parent involvement is crucial. The opportunity is there but as a student, you have to be more aggressive to make those opportunities work for you. Having parents who pressured the school for a college calculus course and advanced physics class is not something a typical parent would do. But if parents think that the schools, public or private and in any district in any state, will consistently provide the best courses for their child without their involvement, then they are missing the boat.

Growing up in the inner city is humbling but the surviving the challenges make one stronger and more capable of surviving though scenarios later in life. Watching my brothers and sisters bring their children back to the old hood from the burbs for visits is important to them so their kids know that their life is much better. It helps build respect for what they have and an appreciation for what their parents are now doing for them. In the short time I have known you, I know that your children will come to appreciate all that you have done and continue to do for them. These actions and this time spent on their needs are irreplaceable as they age. Kudos to you.

To the OP, totally check out the areas of Washington Park, Platte Park, south Park Hill, Lowry, Stapleton, West Highlands, Hill Top and the Holly Hills areas of Denver. Denver has a lot of similarities to Portland, sans the weather. The vibe with the people is very similar, at least within the cities and the same is happening there that is here with the migration to downtown, like what has been happening there with the Pearl. Best wishes to you as you plan your next residential journey!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:53 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
That reminds me...

Does anyone know how to respond to reputation comments? I keep getting them from people (I just logged back on and there were 4 more...I thought they were just from one person with too much time on their hands, but it seems as if their friends have gotten in on the act too and I don't know how to ask them to stop) with all of these links trying to prove to me that Denver is better than Portland.
I would alert the moderator. It's probably one person who opened up many accounts-- which is grounds for being banned. In fact this is a similar tactic that was used against a poster several weeks ago when a troll poster starting spamming everybody's account with mean comments, fraudently signing the message as one of our most friendly, respected posters. Except in this case the person likes Denver rather than hates Denver. Weird, but I would definitely let the moderator know. I always sign my rep point comments so the recipient knows who I am.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I would alert the moderator. It's probably one person who opened up many accounts-- which is grounds for being banned. In fact this is a similar tactic that was used against a poster several weeks ago when a troll poster starting spamming everybody's account with mean comments, fraudently signing the message as one of our most friendly, respected posters. Except in this case the person likes Denver rather than hates Denver. Weird, but I would definitely let the moderator know. I always sign my rep point comments so the recipient knows who I am.
Thanks Vegas. When I signed in this morning, I was already contacted by someone from city-data.com asking for the information. As I said, the posts sometimes are signed, but many of them are not. None of them talked negatively about Denver...they were all negative stuff about Portland. I don't know how I became the poster child for conservatives, but I would rather not get that kind of input on the reputation comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver