Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:18 PM

573 posts, read 2,506,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
There is no doubt that Aurora is the powerhouse suburbs of Denver and getting so big that is is co-titled with Denver in the Denver/Aurora Metropolitan Area.

Aurora is a power because it has extensive variety of industries in this area from heavy and light industry, to large warehousing, to offices, shopping and large residential. The only other suburbs that has extensive heavy industry is Commerce City. It is not surprising that both these cities have the worse residential reputation--certainly not deserved in all parts.

No other suburbs can compete with Aurora, economically. Not only does it have a variety of industry, it has uniqueness of the Fitzimmons Medical School Complex and it is the closest to the Airport and consequently will reap the benefits of that economic engine. Many of the other suburbs are just bedroom communities that lack a balance in industry. Sure there is some heavy and light here and there, but none have the huge commercial economic infrastructure of Aurora.

Aurora has the potential for tremendous growth east into the Great Plains. I think it could equal Denver in Population. Aurora is a suburb that can easily exist as a sole entity without Denver. I do not think that any other suburban city can do the same. In the same token, we in the Denver area can live without Centennial, Arvada or Lone Tree, as an example, but we cannot live without Aurora.

Livecontent
It kinda makes me want to vomit that they're (aurora, not denver) trying to market it as a different set of twin cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:37 PM

664 posts, read 2,066,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
It kinda makes me want to vomit that they're (aurora, not denver) trying to market it as a different set of twin cities.
I hadn't heard that, but why? Enough people/businesses care to call Aurora home that it deserves to get some credit. Denver has the advantage of being home to so many regional amenities that it will more than likely always be the center city. However looks at what is going outwards - University, Childrens & Saint Anthony's hospitals to just get started. Sometimes it seems to be Denverites having sour grapes that someone wants to share the prestige.

To play the other side of the argument there isn't really much about Aurora that would make it deserve to be called Denver's equal. The way I look at it, if you made Arvada/Wheat Ridge/Lakewood into one city it would be similar in size to Aurora, or if you put Littleton/Englewood/Highlands Ranch/Centennial together you would approach Aurora but none would have the heart of a city. It sometimes seems that the only thing that separates them is one city hall vs. several. No matter how big Aurora gets, Denver will always be the 'Queen City of the Rockies'.

Just wanting to give 2 conflicting perspectives on this.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:00 AM

357 posts, read 1,286,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
Can't tell if that is a sarcastic quote?

Either way, you're right Centennial has no personality. Hopefully that changes with their new 'downtown area' Streets at Southglenn. Walked through the construction zone this weekend. It looks like it will be nice. As I've said before it appears to be greatly fragmented. There is a well-established west part that is mostly filled in and an eastern part that varies block-by-block on city boundaries. That's the problem with incorporating pre-existing neighborhoods.
sorry, it's sarcasm and truth. I do love the city for its craziness and the fact that it has no personality. honestly, what a mess. coming from out of state, we do enjoy the changing city signs along the streets . will be interesting to see what personality develops over time.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:54 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,735 times
I've never seen anyone who has actually BEEN out to our side of the city (SE Aurora/Centennial) label it as "bad". Unfortunately, Aurora has a reputation and most who make sweeping judgements don't realize that the city of Aurora is massive and just like with any other large city, there is bound to be good and bad.

There is no perfect place to live. You can have your car broken into no matter where you live. Most crime is one of opportunity and unfortunately, we can't keep troublemakers locked behind a chain-link fence, only to allow them to terrorize their own neighborhoods.

I lived in Green Valley Ranch for a year and did not have a good time. I found it to be the scariest area I have ever lived and the day we left our rental I remember a big weight being lifted from my chest. Not everyone feels the same. Many of my neighbors left their garage doors open all night. A lot of my neighbors where I live now (Saddle Rock Ridge) do the same. I think that is just asking for trouble.

I just try to live my life as smartly as I can. I don't leave valuables in my car. I lock my doors and roll up my windows. I shut my garage door and lock my house windows when I'm gone. I leave my front lights on all night.

As far as home insurance, ours went down too as soon as they saw who our fire department/police were. I'm not sure how they figure all of that out, but I will be curious to see if our homeowner's insurance policies go up due to the damage from the tornado a few weeks ago. My neighborhood (fortunately) did not get much damage, but nearly every other street has numerous roofs being repaired and many windows being replaced. There are some homes who have big holes in their siding and I am sure that this particular area will no doubt be considered a "higher risk" than it was before. I lived in Florida and the homeowner's insurance was a joke. Hopefully that doesn't happen here.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:04 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
I embrace the label of aurora. don't have a problem. I think people need to accept that parts are just fine. we are tagged aurora because of our mailing address. that's why some have a big problem living here.
Frankly I could care less about what the name of my city is. I don't think too many people in Aurora feel that they want to compete with Denver. Why? Denver is the big city and the rest are the suburbs.

We looked for months for homes and finally found one that met all of our criteria. Our #1 priority was the schools, then the commute, then the neighborhood. We spent weeks driving around the neighborhood at all times of the day (no doubt the neighbors thought we were "casing the joint"). The house was well within our budget and when we moved in, we truly felt at home. I could have probably found the same in another city, but for me and my family, we found our perfect place that just happened to be in the city of Aurora. The name of my city was at the bottom of my priority list and it still is. When you look at the "For Sale" flyers in my neighborhood, every single one of them mentions "Cherry Creek Schools" somewhere in the first bullets. That is the big selling point.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:45 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post

I think you got it all wrong. It is the Federal Government which is defining the area as the Denver/Aurora Metropolitan area for their statistics, the MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) They cannot ignore a suburbs of that size, which is about 320,000 which is high for a suburbs of a city, Denver, which is 600,000.

Of course Aurora will make hay over that designation and it should do that to encourage business development. As I said Aurora is the "power" suburb of Denver and has definitely the potential to become bigger and much more economically vibrant than any of the suburbs around Denver.

That is not a problem, that is great for the whole area. A strong suburbs can also develop its own bedroom communities and be a good job and tax generator. You may see many more people in the eastern communities actually working in Aurora than Denver. You will see new municipalities east of Aurora, unincorporated and incorporated that will view Aurora as their place of employment.

Keep in mind that Aurora is not only near the airport but is also near the biggest heavy industry of the Commerce City---and we need this type of industry to prosper. The economic world is not only composed of white collar workers, working 8-5 in air-conditioned offices. It is imperative for the future of this country that we maintain our heavy industrial capacity.

Last year there was a vote in Commerce City to change the name to something more appealing. It was voted down by city residents. We do not need another fluff town with a name vaguely indicative of a English Country Village. We need to be proud of our Commerce and our Industries, the blue collar workers who make it happen; and a city that encourages it--- Aurora, Colorado.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-21-2009 at 11:57 AM..

Old 07-21-2009, 10:35 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,483 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that Aurora is not only near the airport but is also near the biggest heavy industry of the Commerce City---and we need this type of industry to prosper.
Dude, it is a huge area. Parts of Aurora are north and near the airport. Parts of Aurora are way the hell away from anything and full of drive until you qualify (qualified? given the forclosure rate) along E-470 way the hell to the south.

Parts of Aurora are in the middle and really quite nice if not for the fact that they are in the middle of nowhere in terms of proximity to the city of Denver.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:51 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Dude, it is a huge area. Parts of Aurora are north and near the airport. Parts of Aurora are way the hell away from anything and full of drive until you qualify (qualified? given the forclosure rate) along E-470 way the hell to the south.

Parts of Aurora are in the middle and really quite nice if not for the fact that they are in the middle of nowhere in terms of proximity to the city of Denver.
I know Aurora is a big area, dah, well, Dude. I have been here many years. I am not talking about commuting to the airport or commuting from or to anywhere. I am talking about the economic benefit, tax revenues, job creations etc. of airport development that occurs in Aurora, because it is in the immediate area. I am talking about the variety of industries that exist in an around Aurora which makes it unique and an economic power among all the suburbs.

Got it Dude (whatever that appellation means)...Us, old guys just do not get the lingo...

Livecontent

Old 07-22-2009, 11:37 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
sorry, it's sarcasm and truth. I do love the city for its craziness and the fact that it has no personality. honestly, what a mess. coming from out of state, we do enjoy the changing city signs along the streets . will be interesting to see what personality develops over time.
Hey, no Centennial bashing. It's one of my happy hide-outs. I simply love the way it's spread. Not as boring as Highlands Ranch

Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,695 times
hey, don't get me going on HR, lol. We intentionally didn't buy a home there .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver