Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 05:48 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times

Advertisements

Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 06:21 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
... I've never voted to support a tax levy of any kind and probably never will ...
No problem. The government has found a solution for responsible voters like you: they spend money they don't have without the voters consent!

(Great post, btw.)

Old 04-09-2011, 06:27 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
When I started this thread I made it abundantly clear that I didn't want it turned into another brain dead, "you're a racist" thread.

Trust me, we all get it. We all get the fact that a few of you view economics not in terms of who creates their own wealth, but solely in terms of hypothetical handouts from the imaginary powers that be. And we get the fact that you feel that the distribution of this hypothetical "wealth" is unequal and that this needs to be corrected. If you wish to discuss to discuss that topic, there are plenty of threads in which you can do so.

This thread is about whether or not it is wise to purchase real estate when large numbers of section 8 scum, and yes they are largely scum, move into the neighborhood. I would like to hear from people well versed in area real estate as to this question. I could care less if you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend like these section 8 people are model citizens. Fact is, they are ghetto as hell and they destroy neighborhoods.

I just want to know if at this time, the market might improve and push them back out, or if my neighborhood is doomed.
I realize this is an old thread and not even sure if your reading comments anymore. Section 8 for the most part just kills an area. I look at sec 8 this way. Lets say I have a home used to be full of nice sfr. then slowly the economy came in and started to change things . My once STABLE neighborhood is now littered with newcomers who could care less about the property and keeping things kept nice and actually have pride is gone.
Why would they care they are given a subsidy and could give two cents about something that is not theirs. Granted there is an exception when someone gets a subsidy but for the most part they really are the lazy folks in society i know that sounds harsh but it is the truth. Doesnt matter if they are black , brown white or polka dotted.. They ruin an area quicker than anything else i could imagine. any alternatives NO

Old 04-09-2011, 06:59 AM

Unfortunately, the people who are truly in need are outnumbered by those who are not, but take advantage of the system anyway.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:56 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,908,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Unfortunately, the people who are truly in need are outnumbered by those who are not, but take advantage of the system anyway.
I realize I sounded like a rotten, bitter, (insert vulgar euphemism for an illegitimate son), but nobody here is making fun of those in need through no fault of their own. (Having more children than you can afford doesn't count.) If Helen Keller, blind and deaf, walked through the checkout line paying with food stamps, nobody here would be making fun of her. It's when you have a Hummer truck and get assistance that we make fun of welfare recipients. Same goes for the shopping trip I saw the other night at the Chesterfield Township Evil*Mart where the family not only had a cartfull of Bridge Card groceries, they had a surround sound stereo in the cart. No fair. I don't have a surround sound stereo

Old 04-10-2011, 03:23 AM

25 posts, read 92,485 times
Even down here section 8 is a property destroyer. There has been a saying for decades, "easy come, easy go". If something comes too easy people don't appreciate it. They just move somewhere else and start all over. There are some success stories but they are slim and few.

Landlords around here are refusing it. They arn't required to accept it.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I realize I sounded like a rotten, bitter, (insert vulgar euphemism for an illegitimate son), but nobody here is making fun of those in need through no fault of their own. (Having more children than you can afford doesn't count.) If Helen Keller, blind and deaf, walked through the checkout line paying with food stamps, nobody here would be making fun of her. It's when you have a Hummer truck and get assistance that we make fun of welfare recipients. Same goes for the shopping trip I saw the other night at the Chesterfield Township Evil*Mart where the family not only had a cartfull of Bridge Card groceries, they had a surround sound stereo in the cart. No fair. I don't have a surround sound stereo
I agree (hope you didn't think I didn't - although my posts are sometimes confusing. ) I was in the check-out line behind a bridge-card wielding welfare queen with 5 children and pregnant with a 6th. I was tempted to ask her if she remembered to buy the condoms this time.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:38 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,908,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I agree (hope you didn't think I didn't - although my posts are sometimes confusing. ) I was in the check-out line behind a bridge-card wielding welfare queen with 5 children and pregnant with a 6th. I was tempted to ask her if she remembered to buy the condoms this time.
So not only does she gain from our taxes, she also probably gets everything back from what little she pays. I wonder if you can get a tax refund bigger than what you paid in taxes, with all those little tax credits running around.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
So not only does she gain from our taxes, she also probably gets everything back from what little she pays. I doubt she pays anything. And it is impossible to get out of government what we put in. There is a high overhead. I wonder if you can get a tax refund bigger than what you paid in taxes, with all those little tax credits running around.
Oh, I'm sure you could. If you're rich enough to afford an accountant that knows all the ins-and-outs. I between the rich and the poor, who both know the tricks, are us "suckers" who fall for it all.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,527 times
Default Section 8 not killing neighborhood necessarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
They aren't what they used to be. Not really violent crime in that area, but that's where most of the theft and drugs happen. Seems to spill over into the mall as well.
Being poor doesn't mean low class behavior. You can be a college grad and need Section 8 help because rents are so astronomical in many areas. Many jobs don't pay enough so people actually need the rental help. Rather Section 8 than a horde of homeless people w/ no education or hope. It's what people perceive as class. Class doesn't equal money. You can have little money and have class. You can have money and have no class. See it everyday. Saw photo of house I used to live in as a little girl and it made me cry. It's a crumbling brick mess. So sad. Detroit may not make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit