Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:21 PM

417 posts, read 816,771 times

Advertisements

I was in the property management field for 4 years. I worked at an upscale apartment complex that charged big-time rents, but the company who owned the property received special financing in return for holding back 20% of the apartments for lower income residents - 10% for low-income with reduced rents, but not subsidized by the government, and the other 10% were for Section 8.

There was one section 8 resident who did a good job of keeping her apartment clean and well-maintained. The other or so Section 8 renters were a nightmare. People around them were paying $1200+ per month (this was in the 90's; rents are much higher there now). The Section 8 residents paid anywhere from $6/mo to $44/mo, and were the most demanding residents of all. They would trash their apartments, bring their questionable friends and questionable behaviors with them (drugs, domestic violence, cop calls), and right before inspection, they would demand everything from a new carpet to new blinds because they couldn't keep the apartments up to date. And the county wouldn't let us evict them either.

The section 8 residents were made up of both black and white residents, so racism has nothing to do with this post. Both were equally bad. And when the higher-income residents found out that Section 8 residents were living there and paying just a small amount per month, they often got angry and left for a different property.

Section 8 is a horrible program, one of the worst parts of my job when I worked in property management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 10:00 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
I can't imagine why you find it "disturbing" that neighborhoods are "going section 8." You make it sound like, well, there goes the neighborhood. This is a short list of what Section 8 housing does:

It gets the homeless into places they can afford. That includes hundreds of families fleeing domestic violence, for instance, who have very often need to run for their lives with the clothes on their backs and nothing else. The kids can go to school and the non-offending parents can start over in a safe place.

It also means the disabled and mentally ill will be more stable and supported. That means fewer hospitalizations on the public dime, because homelessness is a major reason people have mental breakdowns, try to kill themselves, etc. I work in a community mental health center so I can quote you a price: it costs the public $900 a day to hospitalize someone.

It means landlords will have guaranteed renters in their places. Having renters who are being subsidized by the government means that not only can the property managers definitely afford to keep those units up to a certain standard, but they are actively held to maintain that standard and lose their subsidies and their renters if they don't. So everyone involved benefits.

I see no downside to this.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:50 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,105,368 times
Of course there are exceptions to those who actually need section 8 for physical needs or disability needs and i do not want anyone to feel as if I was including them in any part of a comment about sec 8 . these people are not the cause of the decline.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:18 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
We all know the entire Detroit metro area has been devastated by the fallout from the lending crisis. Real estate values are in the toilet, and the ripple effect from our failing the auto industry is being felt by everyone. But, what I have also been noticing is that many neighborhoods have apartments or other real estate going section 8.

Putting all the racism nonsense aside, I'm just wondering if this trend isn't going to be the nail in the coffin for many neighborhoods. Where I live, there are a few very large apartment complexes that have gone section 8 and I am worried that this will prevent the neighborhood and the property values from ever returning to normal.

I live on a wonderful lake in Waterford and I love where I live and am considering purchasing a home in the next couple years. But, I am worried that this disturbing trend could possibly turn my investment into a liability.

Just wondering what people think about this. Will property values ever return to normal? Will these apartments stop renting to section 8?

P.S. Since so many people here love to make everything about racism, be forewarned that such opinions are the last thing in the world I am concerned with. Save it for someone who gives a **** and please do not hijack this thread.
Section 8 is block busting brought to you by the Feds. Across the country when Section 8 renters move in the surrounding areas decline.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:24 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I can't imagine why you find it "disturbing" that neighborhoods are "going section 8." You make it sound like, well, there goes the neighborhood. This is a short list of what Section 8 housing does:

It gets the homeless into places they can afford. That includes hundreds of families fleeing domestic violence, for instance, who have very often need to run for their lives with the clothes on their backs and nothing else. The kids can go to school and the non-offending parents can start over in a safe place.

It also means the disabled and mentally ill will be more stable and supported. That means fewer hospitalizations on the public dime, because homelessness is a major reason people have mental breakdowns, try to kill themselves, etc. I work in a community mental health center so I can quote you a price: it costs the public $900 a day to hospitalize someone.

It means landlords will have guaranteed renters in their places. Having renters who are being subsidized by the government means that not only can the property managers definitely afford to keep those units up to a certain standard, but they are actively held to maintain that standard and lose their subsidies and their renters if they don't. So everyone involved benefits.

I see no downside to this.
This is a joke right?

Old 04-13-2011, 01:05 AM

46 posts, read 125,564 times
IMO Section 8 should be adjusted to where those that really NEED it can use it to own a home. And by need I would definitely put the disabled, the homeless (who have clean records), single-parent families and elderly to that pool of people who need Sec 8. Anyone with a criminal record or problems with drugs/alcohol shouldn't even be considered under Sec 8 and those that break that rule should have stiff punishments.
Sec 8. should also be used to provide homes in middle-class areas with low-populations, I just don't think it's right to put it in more upper-class areas because it'll create a class conflict.

I don't think Section 8 itself is bad, it has good intentions. However like every helping subsidy, there will be those that will abuse it and ruin it for those that really NEED it.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:51 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
In my renting days, sec 8 was my worse nightmare.

I am disabled, and need the disabled apts, ground floor, no steps, walkin shower, etc. However, those were always taken by the sec 8 renters. See, worked, so I wasn't entitled to those apts.

Many apt complexes had accessible apts, but they were always reserved for the sec 8 folks. finally I found an apt that suited my needs, just happened to be accessible but not designated sec 8, they were glad to get me---I even paid my rent on time! Oh, and BTW, I even kept it clean, they were shocked!

Old 04-15-2011, 08:13 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
In my renting days, sec 8 was my worse nightmare.

I am disabled, and need the disabled apts, ground floor, no steps, walkin shower, etc. However, those were always taken by the sec 8 renters. See, worked, so I wasn't entitled to those apts.

Many apt complexes had accessible apts, but they were always reserved for the sec 8 folks. finally I found an apt that suited my needs, just happened to be accessible but not designated sec 8, they were glad to get me---I even paid my rent on time! Oh, and BTW, I even kept it clean, they were shocked!
I wonder if that would be an Equal Housing Opportunity violation, or an ADA violation.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:25 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,451,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
I wonder if that would be an Equal Housing Opportunity violation, or an ADA violation.

I would say ada violation for sure.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:13 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post

No, it wasn't an ADA violation.

Let me clarify---of the sec 8 apts, some were handicapped. the handicapped Sec 8 apts went to handicapped sec 8 renters first. Because I worked i wasn't qualified for sec 8 housing, handicapped or not. Very few apt complexes have handicapped accessible apts for working folk, so I had to get in line behind the ones on poblic assistance.

I finally managed with a "regular" apt with features that worked for me---ground floor, walki in shower, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit