Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 12:53 AM

3 posts, read 10,226 times

Advertisements

I really do not understand all the hype myself, no matter where you live you will find crime, when you add more people you add more crime it is not that hard to figure out. I do not live in Detroit, I have lived in Grand Rapids, Traverse City, Lansing, and I go to Flint often, my point is i have been to most of the bigger cities here in Michigan and I personally like Detroit I do see why there is so much focus on the negative.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:37 AM

282 posts, read 814,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outspokengrpx View Post
I really do not understand all the hype myself, no matter where you live you will find crime, when you add more people you add more crime it is not that hard to figure out. I do not live in Detroit, I have lived in Grand Rapids, Traverse City, Lansing, and I go to Flint often, my point is i have been to most of the bigger cities here in Michigan and I personally like Detroit I do see why there is so much focus on the negative.
Still don't get it? That's all Detroit has to offer.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:18 PM

214 posts, read 1,061,560 times
outspokengrpx :I really do not understand all the hype myself, no matter where you live you will find crime, when you add more people you add more crime it is not that hard to figure out. I do not live in Detroit, I have lived in Grand Rapids, Traverse City, Lansing, and I go to Flint often, my point is i have been to most of the bigger cities here in Michigan and I personally like Detroit I do see why there is so much focus on the negative.

You cant ever compare those cities to detroit. Detroit is way worse then`em. They have some problems but not like detroit flint is close though.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:48 PM

Alot of people dont know how bad detroit is until they see it for they self.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 12,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre71 View Post
Alot of people dont know how bad detroit is until they see it for they self.
move then.... Problem solved!!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Reasons not to move to Detroit:

1-Insurance:high-rate insurance on your house and automobile and quite possibly life-insurance. I'm sure this can be offset by housing prices and by really being knowledgable about what areas to move as there are safer-than-norm pockets inside the city.

2-Factories: High concentration of factories within the city limits whether in operation or abandoned. The ones mostly in operation (southwest) pump out some huge amounts of pollution. Take a sunday drive over the Rouge Bridge down I-75 with your emergency gas-mask.

3-Transportation: It is lacking severely. What is the sense of moving to a city if transportation is not utilized in an upmost manner?! That dang People-Mover should of been connected to the suburbs. (since i've been to Boston...my perception changed on what a "city" should be)

(those are a few reasons i can think of now..)
good, factual, precise and non-racist information... Thanks for sharing!!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:27 PM

I did move 4 months ago. People keep talking about fixing the problem the truth is you cant fix nothing its bigger then you police have to deal with these things. Just cause you live there isn`t enough. How do you confront drug dealers,gang members,scrappers,etc. In my old neighborhood people were scared and knew better then to mess with these people.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I did move 4 months ago. People keep talking about fixing the problem the truth is you cant fix nothing its bigger then you police have to deal with these things. Just cause you live there isn`t enough. How do you confront drug dealers,gang members,scrappers,etc. In my old neighborhood people were scared and knew better then to mess with these people.
You are right in your statement, situations do sometimes get bigger than the average person. So if it was unbearable to you, then you did the right thing by moving... At least you have lived to tell your side of the story which maybe a very interesting one.... I would love to swap stories about the city that we both grew up in someday in the near future... In the meantime, what do we do if the police are corrupt as well? Then I think the good people of the city and state should take matters in their own hands and try to come up with ways to prevent the bad people (from any race) blacks are not the only ones in gangs etc.... Take it to the streets, the courtrooms, to the media and onto a national level if need be... But to me, the ones that complain need to do something or shut up ( not talking about you) you have been one of the more positive people on here... thank you for that... there are good people besides me left in the world LOL you have a wonderful night Dre71...

Old 09-03-2008, 10:23 PM

Thank You nativeDetroiter08 Its great you want to help it was hard dealing with crime,taxes,gabage,no services,schools,etc. it overwhelms you after a while you know I tried to stay but after visiting people in other states I thought It would be best to move somewhere where im more comfortable and let my daughter have a better life. To answer how to deal with corruption I guess people have to demand change. People have good intensions but just dont really speak out against these things and with the brainwashing of pro kwame supporter passing out flyers saying things like

"Granholm is slapping detroit in the face"
The flyer signs off: “Is Mayor Kilpatrick an American citizen? Wake up, Detroit!”
And my favorite one. The suburbs(whites) are trying to take our(blacks) city. This backwards thinking from any race is not going to help at all. I will always love detroit and hope for the best. God Bless all of you fighting to improve things. Good Night.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Thank You nativeDetroiter08 Its great you want to help it was hard dealing with crime,taxes,gabage,no services,schools,etc. it overwhelms you after a while you know I tried to stay but after visiting people in other states I thought It would be best to move somewhere where im more comfortable and let my daughter have a better life. To answer how to deal with corruption I guess people have to demand change. People have good intensions but just dont really speak out against these things and with the brainwashing of pro kwame supporter passing out flyers saying things like

"Granholm is slapping detroit in the face"
The flyer signs off: “Is Mayor Kilpatrick an American citizen? Wake up, Detroit!”
And my favorite one. The suburbs(whites) are trying to take our(blacks) city. This backwards thinking from any race is not going to help at all. I will always love detroit and hope for the best. God Bless all of you fighting to improve things. Good Night.
I really like you!!! You speak with so much intelligence and wisdom about the real reality and truth on the matters at hand.... I totally understand your move and it was a choice that you had to make.. Not just for you, but for your family and that is not running away from anything, that is playing it smart!! I know that your move was not because of race, if it was, you would have moved along time ago... It did play a factor, but I am sure that it went hand in hand with the economy within the state of Michigan as well.. I do agree with everyone about the Mayor, because when I was there I did not vote for him... He is dirty and he needs to go.. But far as the flyers go , that is messed up what is printed on them!! I dont think anyone of any particular race is trying to take over Detroit. I think that we have lived separate long enough, and that it is time to come together ( the good ones) and make a change for the world to see...; And who knows Dre71, one day you and I may move back to the city that we love so much... Then we can be apart of the greater, brighter, radiant picture of the city itself and weed out the people who are violent, racist, non-ecoist, and the ones who want to live in a non-realistic frame of mind, that tells them that we all cannot get along.... I wish you well in your new home and state and pray that GOD bestows upon you all his riches and blessings on you and your family because of your kind and open hearts.... GOD bless you and yours Good night Dre71
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit