Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2018, 01:52 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
So, I'm not really buying into the BMI tables. My goal is 170-180 lbs, which is still "overweight". Oh, well...
You are putting more meaning into BMI than was intended. It's just a categorization tool. Most people in the normal band are probably a healthy weight. The classic example is that if you ran BMI on all the pro football players most of them would be rated as obese. But that's the point! BMI assumes normal body fat but in fact fat varies, and healthy body fat is different for women or men.

If you are an athletic body type then the BMI won't work for you. I've decided minimum normal BMI will work for me. At that weight I'll be everything but athletic. I can start working on that next.

People use BMI because it's easy to take. The real determinant takes into account gender and body fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree one can eat healthy and still stay on a budget; I also think maybe your comment is a little self righteous. I can give you an example: I happen to be overweight; I am 80 years old, majored in nutrition in college, am thought of as a very good cook and I keep up with trends in what is healthy and not healthy. I also know people who are not over weight and eat crap a lot. There are a lot of things that contribute to having weight problems and health related problems. Yes many are too lazy or ignorant so they do not make good choices but to say everyone who eats unhealthy is ignorant or poorly educated is way over the top!!!!
Lack of exercise also leads to weight gain and some is related to genes: yes, that is the truth.
Genes as far as the body type that you inherited.

Hey! You and I share the interests of cooking, budget, and fitness. People who love food and love to cook who are also participating in regular exercise can enjoy more food and still look good.

I see lifestyle choices as the determinant for how you look, how you feel, and how long you'll live.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You are putting more meaning into BMI than was intended. It's just a categorization tool. Most people in the normal band are probably a healthy weight. The classic example is that if you ran BMI on all the pro football players most of them would be rated as obese. But that's the point! BMI assumes normal body fat but in fact fat varies, and healthy body fat is different for women or men.

If you are an athletic body type then the BMI won't work for you. I've decided minimum normal BMI will work for me. At that weight I'll be everything but athletic. I can start working on that next.

People use BMI because it's easy to take. The real determinant takes into account gender and body fat.

Genes as far as the body type that you inherited.

Hey! You and I share the interests of cooking, budget, and fitness. People who love food and love to cook who are also participating in regular exercise can enjoy more food and still look good.

I see lifestyle choices as the determinant for how you look, how you feel, and how long you'll live.
I think a lot of our weight problems stem from lack of exercise. There were days when everyone worked on the farm and the women stood on their feet cooking and cleaning up hours each day. Families had only one car so there was a lot more walking for necessity. Let's not forget hanging all the washing on the clothes line, pushing a super heavy vacuum, kids walking or riding their bikes everywhere. They played outside, we didn't have remote controls for everything. Even the phone was more work, you had to dial and each number and there were no push buttons on the phones. This may sound little stuff but all together we burned a lot more calories than we do today and with a lot less work. Well not less work but now we have to make an effort to exercise, until about 40 years ago it was automatic, Heck even shifting a car burned a few calories.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:31 PM

That was also before the advent of manufactured convenience food and HFCS.

It's exercise, and it's simple. If you are not getting any then you are at serous health risk. The daily minimum is not none.

Online dating I don't date women who don't work out too, unless they look like they do.

People who have desk jobs, no physical activities, and couch potatoes when at home have to either eat less than healthy or they get fat.

Only exercise will get you out of that.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:57 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Really? Not sure if you're male or female but:

My son is 5'11 and looks his best at about 165. He's lean and has muscle definition. Doesn't look "skinny" or malnourished at all. He's pushing over 170 and you can start to see the pudge on him here and there although still looks pretty good.

My best friend's daughter is 5'9 and weighs about 130 and looks very healthy and fabulous. She's lean but looks appropriate.

I can sort of see where 168 for 5'9" is considered overweight.
I'm a guy.
I'm pretty broad shouldered so when my weight gets down there, I look thin.
I know this because I had lymphoma and my weight approached the "normal" level.
I could still wear a 2X shirt without it looking huge. Almost all of my excess weight is in one place.

I'm guessing that unless you're 85 years old I'm considerably older than your son.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:52 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
I'm a guy.
I'm pretty broad shouldered so when my weight gets down there, I look thin.
I know this because I had lymphoma and my weight approached the "normal" level.
I could still wear a 2X shirt without it looking huge. Almost all of my excess weight is in one place.

I'm guessing that unless you're 85 years old I'm considerably older than your son.
Oh I'm sure you are!! He's 24. I didn't mean to come off judgy. Just not knowing anything about you I was generalizing. I'm female, 5'7" and pushing my highest weight ever (160) and I feel FAT!!!!! I've got it all tucked in with Spanx and tights, but, it's not pretty.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:10 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I think age factors into too. I used to be 100 lbs and looked fine, and I would look like death incarnate if I was that now.

But I have trouble with the weight tables too, I think mine goes up to 150 to be in healthy range, and I would look like an oompa loompa.

So at my age and height, I feel my best between 115 and 125, and a lot of that is muscle.

As soon as I eat too much sugar, refined carbs, and alcohol I get a little thick wasted.... so right now.. I'm a little thick wasted. But I'm staying in the 120 range so all is not lost, which is pretty good through the holidays.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-24-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Oh I'm sure you are!! He's 24. I didn't mean to come off judgy. Just not knowing anything about you I was generalizing.
You didn't come off as judgy. And I'm not easily offended. BTW... I'm 60 years old.
When I was 24, I could play softball every night during the summer and a tournament on the weekend.
I didn't retire from that until I was 40 after playing for 25 years.

At that advanced age most 20 somethings still couldn't hope to beat me on the bowling lanes.
I'd tell 'em to put some cash on it, then take all of their money.
Quote:
I'm female, 5'7" and pushing my highest weight ever (160) and I feel FAT!!!!! I've got it all tucked in with Spanx and tights, but, it's not pretty.
I'd describe myself as built somewhat like Babe Ruth. Maybe that explains why I could hit a ball pretty far back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
As soon as I eat too much sugar, refined carbs, and alcohol I get a little thick waisted.... so right now.. I'm a little thick waisted. But I'm staying in the 120 range so all is not lost, which is pretty good through the holidays.
I don't think I've ever met a 120 lb woman that I would describe as thick waisted.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:33 PM

Past some age people naturally tend to lose fat. Add that to the collagen seniors lose and they have to gain a bit of body fat to not look gaunt.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:12 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
You didn't come off as judgy. And I'm not easily offended. BTW... I'm 60 years old.
When I was 24, I could play softball every night during the summer and a tournament on the weekend.
I didn't retire from that until I was 40 after playing for 25 years.

At that advanced age most 20 somethings still couldn't hope to beat me on the bowling lanes.
I'd tell 'em to put some cash on it, then take all of their money.

I'd describe myself as built somewhat like Babe Ruth. Maybe that explains why I could hit a ball pretty far back in the day.

I don't think I've ever met a 120 lb woman that I would describe as thick waisted.

Don't under estimate a bad diet. My stomach is more than is necessary.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-24-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Don't under estimate a bad diet. My stomach is more than is necessary.
Now I feel fat.
Ok, I'm over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss