Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 01:54 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

you think its a breed issue or perhaps a group that are more likely to attack if needed? my last australian shepherd was a very sweet dog to everyone and we never had issues with visitors. however, there was a time when a rottweiler came over to my mother aggressively and my dog immediately started to attack. my mother felt she was keeping the dog from her and our other dog. there was also an instance where a cop pulled my mother over with our aussie in the back. the dog did nothing but watched every movement very closely. as he was leaving, the cop told my mother that she has a very smart dog.

my dog does show signs of being wary of strangers. i will never know if she would protect unless the situation comes up, but i definitely feel she would without hesitation and she would know when its warranted and when its not. hopefully the situation doesnt come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 06:49 AM

386 posts, read 1,364,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
My dog will protect me from my cat.
He-he, mine does the same. I don't think my two little doggies would protect me. Most likely they would bark like two rotties but then hide behind me for protection.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:36 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
My dog will protect me from my cat.
Holden only weighs about 5.5 lbs. He needs someone to protect him!

He went on a rampage a few nights ago against the cat. On his second attack, she gave him some nasty gashes right above his little beady eyes.

He was in a funk til ~2pm the next day. He's snapped out of the funk but probably none the wiser.

He likes to pretend he can protect us if he hears a door bell. That's the only sound from a radio or TV that sets his launch sequence.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:45 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
The pooch I'm keeping for my daughter will create a big front and then hide behind the cats for protection. She is an alarm only.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Do you think your dog would protect you?
Ours, probably not. He's a good watch dog with an intimidating bark, but I doubt he would be much protection. He melts like butter when he sees people and other dogs, he's very social.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:57 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times
I had my oldest boy tested a few months ago to see what he would do. ( although I had an idea) It was exactly what I expected. All bark and no bite, but the display he puts on says otherwise LOL. The youngest has started to become more "alert" of the surroundings, but won't be tested until the appropriate age, given his personality I hope he does the breed a favor.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:03 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Yes....the pack protects the Alphamale.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:42 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,123 times
Hmmmp... I wonder where my post went.
Maybe too many links to the heroics of the Great Pyr... lol!!!

Anyways, my DH's Pyr "does not" now, I protect it (its my job as alpha)...
Potentially, it will (should per its breed) return the favor one day.

My beloved dog (GSD / doberman; shop watchdog) did...
To protect my mom.
And he's a wonderful dog no one (doggie) else can replace (took my heart & kept it, that one).

Old 10-23-2012, 12:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My labrador would only jump in if someone were literally beating me---especially if I were screaming with fear and commanded him with HELP or GET HIM.

I know this based on how he reacted to family wrestling matches in the livingroom room.

We had to stop wrestling in our household because he truly does have a protect instinct.

If there's a gun, I'm dead because he's terrified of gunshots---terrible hunting dog.

My beagle/basset would only join the labrador, not attack on his own.
I posted this in 2009. My beautiful lab is no longer with us.

Now I would be dead meat because my beagle basset would run off and hide with fear.

Heck, he sneaks off when we're simply debating a topic at home.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:44 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
I could only guess that our current GSD, Kaiser, would protect us. When someone knocks on the door, he just lays or stands in alert position at the top of the stairs. He doesn't bark at people (only dogs and other animals). So he just looks ready to defend and hopefully we'll never find out what he'd do. Annie, our GR, will come down barking and growling at the door. Once in, the person will either be her best friend or she'll be too afraid to get close. Kaiser ignores Annie through all of this and stays on task, waiting for a friend or foe identification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs