Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 11:01 AM
miu miu started this thread

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times

Advertisements

Came across an article the other day about people slapping a service dog vest on their pets and then sneaking then into places where dogs are banned, like restaurants, movie theatres and airplanes. And even apartments rentals. Anyway, trying to pass a pet off as a service dog is just not cool.

Quote:
To crack down on the growing problem of fake service dogs, (MA) state legislators are considering a bill that would make it a civil offense to misrepresent a pet as a service animal.
Pretending Your Pet Is A Service Animal Could Soon Be Illegal
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...qLI/story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 11:18 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
The "service animal' shtick is definitely being abused.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:21 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
WHAT!? They gave me a Shi Tzu??!!

Old 03-17-2017, 12:31 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Agree totally. It hurts the people who legitimately need (and have) a service pet.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:11 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
WY is about to pass a law making it illegal.
These fake service animals are a joke considering how long it takes to train a true service animal. They need to be fined and fined big!

Old 03-17-2017, 08:36 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,689 times
I think of my dog as my emotional support dog; but that definition is totally unofficial; he's had no training, he's not a service dog; I would never claim that he's a service dog. I really hate hearing about people who abuse the system that way; genuine service dogs do fantastic work, and people using the designation of 'service dog' to get their dogs, however nice or beloved, on airplanes or into stores or whatever, are making it harder for real people who depend on public access for their own true service dogs.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:46 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,892,582 times
I pretended it once... Went into a pharmacy to buy a pack of cigs and was already there when some hyperactive manager started to demand me to leave. I told her to back off, bought my cigarettes and went out in less than a minute, no harm done. Since then, I tie my dog in front of that pharmacy and no one can get in or out of it while I am inside, but I break no law....

Old 03-17-2017, 09:09 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
I think people are judgmental about too many things that are none of their concern. So you think that the person on SS disability isn't "really" disabled. Or the person using the SNAP card in front of you in line isn't buying the food they "should" be buying. Or the mom and baby don't "deserve" to have WIC because she has an iPhone. Or the service dog isn't "really" a service dog because the dog doesn't look like one, the person doesn't appear to be disabled, or you just think they're faking. Bottom line: it's not my business what other people do. It's impossible for me and most people to tell if a service dog is real or if another person is disabled. Don't assume you have x-ray vision and magical insight into the person's life and the dog accompanying the person. The dog may indeed be a service dog even if it doesn't appear to be. Even if it isn't, it's up to others to do the right thing and I can't control their behavior. I have my own problems to deal with.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
I pretended it once... Went into a pharmacy to buy a pack of cigs and was already there when some hyperactive manager started to demand me to leave. I told her to back off, bought my cigarettes and went out in less than a minute, no harm done. Since then, I tie my dog in front of that pharmacy and no one can get in or out of it while I am inside, but I break no law....
You realize you are on private property and can be banned if they really want to push it? Then you can be arrested for trespassing.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:10 PM

919 posts, read 609,757 times
The same sort of person who abuses someone elses disability parking permit.
I've been in more than a few unpleasant exchanges while driving an elderly neighbour to her Dr appointments, where out of pure exasperation, I point out that "fat & lazy" doesn't qualify as a disability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs