Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:26 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I had a Great Dane puppy that would try to back up to the sofa to sit down. It seemed like he knew he was gonna be big! When he was older, he did back up and sit down on the sofa. As a puppy, he never came close, just slid to the floor - so funny to watch.
heh
Elwood does this sort of accidentally-on-purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Here is a pic of Tye at about 7 months. She is a sweetie, but ooooooooh soooooooooooo stubborn!
She is so gorgeous--I am sure she melts your heart.
She is still very young and with some TLC I bet everything will work out fine.
Quote:
Also....Your Mastiffs are "stunning"!
My condolences on Rosie
Much thanks Shelby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 06:39 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
I would highly suggest going to your local shelter and adopt a big male dog....those are the ones that always get left behind, besides the older ones!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:25 PM

426 posts, read 1,570,918 times
Just want to add, for large breed family friendly dogs, I second the Newfoundland & St. Bernard and add Great Pyrenees to the list.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:29 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,908,193 times
Default thank you all

thank you all for the advice & input. Your feedback is appreciated. I stopped by my first shelter today in Jackson.
They gave me a list of all the shelters in the area.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:34 PM

14 posts, read 49,126 times
Big dogs are a lot of work. I have a Mastiff mix and he eats a ton and always has energy to burn. I don't recommend him to someone who can't spend 24-7 with him.

Other than that the best breed of big dogs that I like are St. Bernards, but they drool a lot.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:32 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,735 times
I had danes for about 15 yrs. Loved them so much. But quite a handful. Required training and lots of socialization. Very laid back in nature once they mature. Mine were gentle with children, but because of their size could still accidently hurt a child, or even an adult. While playing in the yard they crashed into me, sending me to the emergency room. Whiplash and cracked ribs. The only reason I never got more danes is the short life span is hard to deal with.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:19 AM

342 posts, read 1,831,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
To me it is a misconception that the giant breeds (over 100 lbs) need a large, spacious yard.
Humungous dogs such as Mastiffs, Danes, and St Bernards are not like Labradors or Goldens, who are bred for stamina and need aerobic exercise. They are content with regular walks to stretch their legs and a chance to be out in the sunshine--they might get lazy if you neglect this.
It is true that the giant breeds live 8-10 years. My first English mastiff lived until 10 and a half. But our second was only 7 when she died (auto-immune issues).
While they are certainly related, I'm not sure I would not put an English Mastiff in the *quite* the same exact temperament category as a Presa Canario or a Bourboel. However, while all dogs need obedience training, I agree that taking on a Mastiff puppy is not quite the same thing as bringing a Cavalier King Charles spaniel into your home.
Great post. People often lump "giant breeds" together without realizing that even within giant breeds, there's quite a difference in temperment, predictability, energy levels and athleticism, willingness to please, and natural traits. This varies strongly even within the mastiff family, so if the OP is seeking a big dog, s/he needs to do some research to find one that is compatible with their lifestyle. I agree that English mastiffs or St Bernards should not be put in the same basket as Presas, Boerboels, or Tosas. While all beautiful large dogs, their temperments are not all alike and some require more experienced, skilled handlers who know how to properly be the alpha leader of their powerful dogs when they challenge you for dominance.

Any large or giant breed animal will require thorough training due to their power and size. A small dog being unmannerly is one thing, but a big dog being unruly is quite another because of the greater risk and liability. Also, breed is one thing, but the personality and temperment of the individual dog is another consideration. For an inexperienced handler who wants a giant breed dog, choose one that is of predictable temperment (this is easier to determine in purebreds where the parents are known), is willing to please, matches your energy level and activity, and is not a dominant dog who will try to take over the alpha role.

I recommend an English Mastiff. With proper obedience training and socialization (very important--being aloof to strange people and animals is ok but they should not be fearful or aggressive towards them), they are the sweetest most affectionate dogs, and even make great therapy dogs (I'm training mine to be one, just like her mom ). They are very loyal and willing to please, (most) have relatively low energy levels and relish the role of a couch potato, and truly are gentle giants. They are very intelligent, but are also quite sensitive and most times a stern voice is all you need to discipline them. I also agree with BlueWillowPlate that it's a misconception that all giant breeds need a large house and yard. Highly active and athletic dogs, or those that have a tendency to roam, would likely become bored and destructive being cooped up in a small house or yard. Although an English mastiff takes up a lot of space due to its size, they are actually quite lazy and are happy napping on the couch and going for daily walks and are also velcro dogs (they like sticking close to their owners, often having some sort of physical contact), so require much less space than the misconception would have you believe. They are indoor dogs, though, so it's usually the owner that has to decide if they are okay having such a large velcro dog sharing their living space. In the end, a house/yard of any size is just a large kennel for a dog. You have to exercise the dog or give it activities that suit its energy level.

But again, this is not true for all giant breeds, or even all mastiff breeds. And if getting a mutt, you have to take into consideration the traits of each mix.

Last edited by vemureaux; 08-24-2008 at 07:29 AM..

Old 08-27-2008, 06:24 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
I love all dogs. big breeds seem to be even more gentle. Sar-pei are very loving and protective of their family.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:44 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,908,193 times
Unhappy No puppy yet

still no puppy. They go like HOTCAKES!!
After looking for months now, I still cannot find a PUPPY under 5 months old. We want some type of Mastiff. Prefer English Mastiff, can be mix of other large breeds. If you know of any, please send me a DM.

*thanks for all the helpful suggestions, but we are POSITIVE that we want a PUPPY under 5 months old and we want a large breed dog.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:04 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
I wish you weren't set on a puppy. I found a stunning mastiff / rottweiler in NY that is in a foster home. I'm in love with this dog and if I could get out of hubby's site long enough to make a round trip TN / NY I'd grab him in a heart beat. He's 3 years old, so still young and weighs 200 pounds. He's a huge teddy bear they say. His name is Tyson. If you're willing to consider a dog that won't pee on your carpet and already has flawless house manners, DM me. I'll be happy to go pull the info I have (I want him so bad I printed out his flyer and keep it in my office just in case I get a wild hair one day!!) and send it to you. And if you get him and decide he's too old you can always send him to me!!

BTW - those of you with the fawn / black mask English Mastiffs are killing me! That's what my Cleo was. 182 pounds of love bug. I adored her, but lost her at 8 years old from inoperable hip dysplasia. The EMs really are phenomenal dogs, but again, you've got to socialize them very early on and do lots of training. Had Cleo not been so good at minding me, she'd have killed me. I weighed more than 60 pounds less than she did. Her head was double the size of mine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs