Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 04:48 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times

Advertisements

I agree that a harness makes a dog pull ,like a mule hooked up to a plow.
if you take the time to train your dog to walk with you in command,by this I mean next to you . dont let them dictate the walk no stopping to sniff etc.,just walk them ,keep them next to you, then pick a spot (park,vacant lot etc and then you allow them to do their business then bring them right back to your side and continue walking....with no stopping to sniff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 06:25 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
[
He'd probably forego the steak, but before long he'd get up from his stay position and come looking for me. He'd be all, "Where did you go? Why did you leave me in there by myself? What are you doing? How can you be doing that without me? Can I help? I'll just sit here and watch. Or take a nap while you're doing that. You DO realize you left a steak on the floor in the other room, don't you? What was all that about? Can I have some of it when you go pick it back up? I gotta pee."[/quote]

HA HA HA That was funny! My yorkie might think that - with the Westie . . . well the steak would just be gone.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:12 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,331 times
NO! dog collars carry importet information a dog needs should it stray or get lost such as proof of rabies vaccination or address. Some collars are bad but most are great if used properly.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:42 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
Caesar the peke has a harness and leash. The collar was not working well as he'd try to pull out of it. He's about 20 pounds and his purple harness and leash are not only easy to work with but also look great on his cream/white coat. The harness has his tags attached of course.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:49 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Sorry, that is the silliest thing I have heard. I will keep my dog collars. Properly used the dog is not gagging with a dog collar, pinch or even a choke.

I have seen more potential damage with a Halti and I am not going to put a harness on a big dog.

Do take them off when the dog is unsupervised so they cannot get hung by them in a freak accident and microchip and tatoo them.
I agree.

I take my dog's collar off when I pen him. I've heard of dogs collars getting caught on fences and pens while unsupervised and hanging themselves.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:53 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,658 times
I've been using the easy walk harness on my 55 lb lab/rott mix. He doesn't pull at all with it on, whereas he pulls like crazy with just a collar & leash. Yes, there will be training to learn how to walk better, but as I just got him and he needs his daily walks, the harness works in a pinch.

I won't use a halti with him as he's missing an eye and turns his head back and forth quite a lot. Seems like I could potentially hurt him if I had the leash attached to his head.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:14 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
I've been using the easy walk harness on my 55 lb lab/rott mix. He doesn't pull at all with it on, whereas he pulls like crazy with just a collar & leash. Yes, there will be training to learn how to walk better, but as I just got him and he needs his daily walks, the harness works in a pinch.

I won't use a halti with him as he's missing an eye and turns his head back and forth quite a lot. Seems like I could potentially hurt him if I had the leash attached to his head.

I tried a Halti with my Westie and I swear he would rather have a prong collar than a Halti. I don't know why. He loves to walk and he refused to budge at all when he had that Halti over his head. I tried it a couple of times and finally gave up. He seemed so miserable with it and my son was giving me flack about it too.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:50 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I would support shock collars being banned. Probably 98% of the people that use them use them all wrong.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:55 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I would support shock collars being banned. Probably 98% of the people that use them use them all wrong.
I am with you, If you go ahead and ban
  • Prong collars because 99% of people use THEM wrong.
  • Choke collars because 99% of people use THEM wrong.
  • Haltis and gentle leaders because of all the idiots who are going to break their dogs necks using them wrong and
  • and flexi leads. God knows 99% of people use those wrong too......as in Petsmart and I really don't care if YOUR dog IS friendly but I don't want him running up to MY dog..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs