Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 03:03 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Well, we learned something this weekend. Our friends visited us with their 90 pound golden retriever. Sweet, smart dog. I've always liked the breed.

But way too big and the tail is a menace. He just took up a lot of room, too. It's different when we saw him in the house and up next to our collie.

So we'll stick to the 50-60 pound range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 03:07 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Breeds I will only own:

Dogue de Bordeaux - what I currently own
English Bulldog - what I have owned before
Cane Corso
American Bulldog
Caucasian
American Pit Bull Terrier
German Shepard
Bull Mastiff
Kerry Blue Terrier
Bernese Mountain Dog
Chesapeake Bay Retreiver

Breeds I do not want to own:

Chihuaua
Any other terrier not listed above
Any toy breed

Old 11-25-2008, 05:47 PM

200 posts, read 979,635 times
Breeds I would own and the experiences I've had with them.

Pit Bull- The most pleasing, loyal, intelligent dogs I have ever owned, and also the most misunderstood. (Owned/Fostered/Trained)
Italian Mastiff (Perro De Presa Canario)-Good working and family dogs (Trained)
German Shepherd-Very high prey-drive, eager to work, does the most comical things (Owned)
Alaskan Malamute-Very protective, hard working (Trained/Fostered)
Siberian Husky-Very protective, stubborn in an endearing way (Trained)
Rottweilers-Big gentle creatures (Trained)

Breeds I will never own
Chihuahua
Toy Poodles
****zus-however you spell it.
Any sort of designer breed/lap dogs

Old 11-25-2008, 11:11 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,944 times
These are breeds I have owned, do own or ones I would own and plan on if possible. I probably wouldn't own any other besides these BUT can't say never as you just never know.

American Pit Bull Terrier (will probably always have, my favorite and breed I feel is I know best and easiest for me to keep/train)
Boerboel (I don't like the slow maturity but its not all bad)
Cane Corso (Being like big puppies can be fun and cute sometimes but "bad" other times)
Cani Pertiatzu (I'm not sure if this will be easy to get)
Perro Cimarron (I think I know where to go for quality one)
Patterdale Terrier (know some breeders/owners, they are great little dogs so looking forward to them)
Kangal (will probably get next)
Caucasian Ovcharka (I'm thinking another female due to size and somewhat temperament)
Central Asian Ovcharka (Still not sure yet, if I don't stick with CO only then I will get CAO)
Sarplaninac
Kai Ken

Belgian Malinois (If I don't get another I will get a Dutch Shepherd instead)
Bull Terrier SO would like another which I'm fine with although would really like a Staffordshire Bull Terrier (very much if I can find the right breeder)
SO also likes Presa Canario and Dogo Argentino, so maybe, I'm not opposed to them but he has liked my/our choices of Cane Corso and Boerboel (they've grown on him) so we might just stick with those.
Gran Mastin de Borinquen looks similar to Boerboel and seems to possibly have a similar temperament, not to mention being native and all, I like the idea of that. Although nothing is definate.
Spanish Alano (seems hard to get a guarantee of a good dog)
Tosa Inu I'm not sure about, nor Fila either or Lundehund could be possible.

These are breeds I like would like to own but not sure if I will
Canaan Dog
Shiloh Shepherd
Pharaoh Hound
Podengo

Chinese Crested

These are breeds I wouldn't like to own
*Most brachycephalic breeds like Pugs, English Bulldogs or any breed that is bred with structure problems and has a lot of health problems like English Bulldogs and some of the larger dogs or the crippled type GSDs (although I like other sound, healthy GSDs).
*Any breed that needs a lot of grooming or needs clipping like Schnauzers. *Dogs bred for exaggerated wrinkles like american/show version Shar Pei and Neos or the Dosa. Some people love these breeds and thats great, even like their looks but I'm not one of them. I don't feel its fair to create them with known health problems and I also don't want to deal with the issues.
*Breeds that drool like Neos, Bordeauxs, even Great Danes, ect
*Any breed with a lot of health problems, I mean where multi ones can be common and still pop up in good lines from reasonible breeders. Like heart problems, cancer, eye problems, ect.
*I also don't like a lot of shedding but some of the breeds I like/have owned/do own have double coats and shed a lot. So it is something to deal with, sometimes you have to sacrifice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keliko View Post
Breeds I would own and the experiences I've had with them.

Pit Bull- The most pleasing, loyal, intelligent dogs I have ever owned, and also the most misunderstood. (Owned/Fostered/Trained)
Italian Mastiff (Perro De Presa Canario)-Good working and family dogs (Trained)
German Shepherd-Very high prey-drive, eager to work, does the most comical things (Owned)
Alaskan Malamute-Very protective, hard working (Trained/Fostered)
Siberian Husky-Very protective, stubborn in an endearing way (Trained)
Rottweilers-Big gentle creatures (Trained)
Maybe I'm not understanding this statement right but just in case not I thought I'd reply very quick. The Italian Mastiffs are the Cane Corso and Neopolitan Mastiff. The Perro De Presa Canario/Dogo Canario is a different mastiff breed from the Canary Islands and is also called the Canary Dog by some.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:03 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,835 times
^^^ Wow. You've mentioned so many dogs I've never even heard of! Off to Google I go to learn more...

Old 11-26-2008, 08:55 AM

200 posts, read 979,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post

Maybe I'm not understanding this statement right but just in case not I thought I'd reply very quick. The Italian Mastiffs are the Cane Corso and Neopolitan Mastiff. The Perro De Presa Canario/Dogo Canario is a different mastiff breed from the Canary Islands and is also called the Canary Dog by some.
The mind got ahead of me there, would own both dogs, Italian Mastiff and Perro De Presa Canario.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:09 AM

17 posts, read 163,021 times
Dalmatian for me. They match my personality better.
Attached Thumbnails
breeds you are opposed to owning or would only own-img_0001.jpg  

Old 11-26-2008, 09:11 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
unfortunately i dont own a dog. there are paralegals and lawyers that do nothing but canvas neighborhoods here for anyone that has been bitten by a dog and dog and type bite. there is a reason.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:29 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
In general I don't like small "Foo, Foo" dogs (Lhasa, ****zu, etc) and don't like large potentially agressive dogs (Rotties, some Shepherds). I mainly like hunting dogs that are bred to get along with people and other dogs. GSP's, Labs, Goldens.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:26 PM

617 posts, read 2,073,118 times
I'll probably always have a Pit Bull. I love everything about the breed. I can't imagine wanting any other dog. But I'm allowed only one "family-member" dog at a time (other than rescues) so I don't want to even think about the events that would lead me to look for another dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs