Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 07:47 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
I would only own a dog who already existed and needed a home. Breeds, schmeeds!

Back when I was just a cat lady, I imagined that someday I'd have a big Heinz 57 I'd found somewhere. I'd take it hiking and all of that. It'd probably be brown or black with that look about it that comes from generations of homeless/feral dog breeding, where they begin to just look like just plain dogs.

And then I ended up with a silly looking poodle-bichon-whatever-someone-thought-was-cute-to-put-together who is just the love of my life. And strangely enough, she looks just right hiking up in the mountains with me.

She's got plenty "wrong". She's often anxious, sometimes hyper, sometimes shrill, sometimes chases my cats, shrieks when she sees big dogs, gets bossy when she sees little dogs, not 100% on the housetraining, and always thoroughly embarrassing to introduce to people (because of the dirty looks, shrinking, "you're gonna murder me, aren't you!" body language, etc). But man, oh man, how could I have gotten a better dog than her?

Just goes to show, a person can be perfectly satisfied with something they never considered before!
what a beautiful testimony to your wonderful girl...... my bailey has her quirks, as does dave, but that just makes them even more endearing to ME......

just gotta work on that barking at people at the door.......

oh and btw... big cats.... which mountain did you climb?? (sort of geographically challenged here sometimes) .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyflorida70 View Post
That was really beautiful. I see my dogs as my kids so if they have accidents, or eat something they are not supposed to or are just plain being ornary well they are my kids.
We would go to jail if we got rid of our kids for some of the reasons people get rid of their dogs??

very well said......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 09:58 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,780 times
Quote:
oh and btw... big cats.... which mountain did you climb?? (sort of geographically challenged here sometimes) .....
Mt. Whitney! Nelly (the dog) couldn't go with me because dogs aren't allowed on that trail, but back in August she hiked another 14,000+ foot mountain just a couple hundred feet shorter than Whitney and she made it just fine, only needing to be carried a bit when there were sharp rocks. She's signed into the log book at the peak!

(A year ago she would collapse on her belly with fear when a leash was put on her!)

Old 10-20-2009, 05:02 AM

43 posts, read 128,972 times
Smile Appreciate every dog

I have no hatred dog breeds or even nice dog breeds. My favourite dog breed is all the dogs. Yes, you heard me right, All the dogs! Even mixed ones, dumb looking ones and so on. My favourite breed is all the dogs because if you were the dog that you hate so much what would happen if no1 bought you? You would be in the cage or pet shop for months. You'll be sad, yes... no?? But throughout all favourites, my top of favourites is the Shih Tzus and cute dogs. I like Shih Tzu/Maltese when they have short fur not the very long one. Now let's see if you guys know what dogs suit me to buy.

I like normal hair dogs (not too long or too short), dropped ears or prick or semi-prick ears, a not too big or small dog (just like medium), a not too strong or weak dog (just fine), a dog that is meant to be in the house, a good looking (not too loose skin or thin skin, just fine at the face and whole body) and lastly a dog that is kind of easy to train. I know its a lot I want from them!! But I still appreciate any dog, as long as its just my style!

Though I heard that Schnauzers are the easiest dog breed to train. Is that true?? I hope you know the dog that suits me!! Bye for now!

Old 10-20-2009, 05:58 AM

i would decide on a couple breeds that you think would work and then search the shelters and rescues for dogs of those breeds or predominantly those breeds.....

i don't know what the shelter situation is like where you are though, so may be more of a challenge than it is here in the states........

Old 10-20-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Mt. Whitney! Nelly (the dog) couldn't go with me because dogs aren't allowed on that trail, but back in August she hiked another 14,000+ foot mountain just a couple hundred feet shorter than Whitney and she made it just fine, only needing to be carried a bit when there were sharp rocks. She's signed into the log book at the peak!

(A year ago she would collapse on her belly with fear when a leash was put on her!)

how COOL for her and for you!!

and i love stories of how dogs progress when they are in the right home......

Old 10-20-2009, 07:19 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Just goes to show, a person can be perfectly satisfied with something they never considered before!
definitely true!

i embarked upon my dog selection process planning on getting a pit and came home from the shelter 2 weeks before i planned to get a dog with a scruffy terrier (or something) mix, when my husband had said "anything but a scruffy dog with a beard, they're gross". of course now he thinks she's the best dog in the world and points out scruffy dogs as being cute.

my next dog will probably be some foo foo little thing, just cause that's the one kind of dog i don't plan on getting!

oh and my dog barks at the door, but i like that! i don't live in the best neighborhood...

it's kind of rough when our lodger comes home from his catering job at 2am and she barks her head off though.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:09 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The facts are clear that there are some breeds that are much more inclined to be vicious than other breeds. It has nothing to do with being uneducated or ignorant, it's fact.

The facts are also clear that it takes a knowledgeable owner and trainer to properly socialize one of those breeds. The problem with that is it only mitigates the chances that the animal will hurt someone, it does not remove them. Yes, any dog can bite, but some are instinctually more inclined to do so than others.

Now, before you bring up the fact that there are small breeds who are at high risk for biting, I know that is true as well. They aren't nearly as likely to permanently maim or kill someone when they go on the attack, though.

There are certain breeds that I believe should be allowed to die out and not be bred anymore. I know that you rabidly pro 'bullybreed' people are going to flame me to hell and gone for making that statement, but it is my opinion and I stick by it.
As far as the original question goes: I would not own any dog that makes my homeowner's insurance rise simply by what breed they happen to be.
I have no problem with you sticking by it, as long as you realize it's a totally unfounded and all opinion. Bully breed consistently score higher in temperament tests than most dogs. That is a fact. So of course you can have your opinion, as long as you realize it's based 150% on media hype and sensationalism and you've done nothing at all to research the breed yourself. Personally I refuse to be led around by the nose by other people. If someone tells me the sky is blue, I'm going to look up to see for myself.

In independent testing scores from 1 being aggressive to 100 being non-aggressive were:

Staffy 93.2
Golden Retreiver 84.6
APBT 84.1
GSD 82.8
Cocker 81.5
Greyhound 81.0
Yorkie 80.0
Weimeraner 79.7
Collie 79.0
Dobie 76.5
Pomeranian 75.0
English Setter 73.7
Bulldog 68.3
Doxie 66.7

And those are just some of the scores. You can check the entire list for your preferred breed and see how it stacks up against the bully breeds. You'd be surprised. There are no doubt that some breeds do better, but most do worse!

ATTS - American Temperament Test Society, Inc. - ATTS Breed Statistics - page 1 (http://www.atts.org/stats1.html - broken link)

So your 'statement' that some breeds are more inclined to bite than others - implying bully breeds are more dangerous our aggressive - is total bull. It's unfair to the breed for people like you to continue to perpetuate these lies. But this is America, and if you feel the need to lie, you go for it. But I'll be right here behind you spitting out the facts and the truth.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Statistically speaking, pit bulls, presa canarios, and rottweilers account for the majority of canine homicides in the USA:

"The Clifton study of attacks from 1982 through 2006 produced similar results. According to Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes were responsible for 65% of the canine homicides that occurred during a period of 24 years in the USA. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; click here (http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf - broken link) to read it.)

Other breeds were also responsible for homicides, but to a much lesser extent. A 1997 study of dog bite fatalities in the years 1979 through 1996 revealed that the following breeds had killed one or more persons: pit bulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds, huskies, Alaskan malamutes, Doberman pinschers, chows, Great Danes, St. Bernards and Akitas. (Dog Bite Related Fatalities," Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Publications/mmwr/wk/mm4621.pdf - broken link), May 30, 1997, Vol. 46, No. 21, pp. 463 et. seq.) Since 1975, fatal attacks have been attributed to dogs from at least 30 breeds."

However much you may not like it, that's what it is.

Now before you go and get all offended by my saying what I've said, note that I didn't say they should all be rounded up and gassed. I said that certain breeds should be allowed to die out. There's a big difference.
I've owned almost every breed of dog you mentioned there with no problems at all. Know the difference? I did my research before bringing them home and I was a responsible pet owner. My dogs were well trained and very well socialized.

The problem is the humans, not the dogs. The irresponsible owners. Pesonally, I think we should let the irresponsible owners die off, not the dogs. And I do think the irresponsible ones - especially those out fighting them - should be rounded up and gassed. There is no room for any remorse or sympathy in my life for humans that corrupt, abuse, and neglect animals or children. Gas them all.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:22 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I have no problem with you sticking by it, as long as you realize it's a totally unfounded and all opinion. Bully breed consistently score higher in temperament tests than most dogs. That is a fact. So of course you can have your opinion, as long as you realize it's based 150% on media hype and sensationalism and you've done nothing at all to research the breed yourself. Personally I refuse to be led around by the nose by other people. If someone tells me the sky is blue, I'm going to look up to see for myself.

In independent testing scores from 1 being aggressive to 100 being non-aggressive were:

Staffy 93.2
Golden Retreiver 84.6
APBT 84.1
GSD 82.8
Cocker 81.5
Greyhound 81.0
Yorkie 80.0
Weimeraner 79.7
Collie 79.0
Dobie 76.5
Pomeranian 75.0
English Setter 73.7
Bulldog 68.3
Doxie 66.7

And those are just some of the scores. You can check the entire list for your preferred breed and see how it stacks up against the bully breeds. You'd be surprised. There are no doubt that some breeds do better, but most do worse!

ATTS - American Temperament Test Society, Inc. - ATTS Breed Statistics - page 1 (http://www.atts.org/stats1.html - broken link)

So your 'statement' that some breeds are more inclined to bite than others - implying bully breeds are more dangerous our aggressive - is total bull. It's unfair to the breed for people like you to continue to perpetuate these lies. But this is America, and if you feel the need to lie, you go for it. But I'll be right here behind you spitting out the facts and the truth.
Although I know a couple of APBTs and they are the sweetest of sweethearts, this list surprised me anyway.

Fabulous information!

Old 10-21-2009, 04:11 PM

Proud to announce that now a pittie that I personally adopted out has also become a local hero!

From my website, the story. And the boys weren't home alone. Their great grandmother was there to watch them, but was making dinner when they snuck off.

News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs