Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:28 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Sorry, but I find isolation a lot crueler than a whap or two. My Shiba/Husky mix hates getting popped if she does something wrong, but will pee herself and have a literal panic attack if locked up alone.

I have a two year old Cairn that used to show aggression toward other dogs (almost getting herself killed plenty of times) and the only thing that worked with her was a few hard whaps on the butt and being held down by the jaw (so she couldn't bite) until she calmed down. After we broke her of flipping out and going for the throat, if she ever growls or starts to show aggression, we pet her and repeat "happy puppies" and for some reason that gets her wagging and on fine with the other dogs.

We tried all the textbook positive reinforcement approaches, but they DO NOT WORK with a stubborn, bullheaded dog. Buddy was probably playing too rough, Blizzard got tired of it, thought she was hot s**t, and attacked. She needs to learn to be afraid of what you'll do if she acts that way. It doesn't breed trust issues, in fact she'll view you as dominant.

Our Cairn can now go to the dog park, have twenty big labs and pits running after her and annoying her, and she won't even bare teeth...she even initiates playtime. You need to be aggressive, otherwise your dog learns that it's ok. Frankly a few pops on the snout or butt is a lot better than putting her down.
I find that rewarding desired behavior and punishing undesired behavior to be an effective training tool. Physical punishment is never required, but we will have to agree to disagree with regard to punishment.

Blizzard does display that "big dog" attitude you describe, although she only weighs 50 pounds. Buddy, on the other hand, IS a big dog (130 pounds and not even 2 years old) and he knows it, and likes to flaunt it. On more than one occasion I have caught Buddy trying to sit on Blizzard when she was sleeping.

The only other dogs my dogs have regular contact with are owned by either my friends or neighbors. Dog parks are for the convenience of people, not dogs. I will not stress out my dogs by putting them in proximity to other strange dogs. Which is the purpose of this thread. I'm trying to find a means to keep stress levels to an absolute minimum between everyone involved. I want them to get along, if possible.

Last edited by Glitch; 05-15-2009 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: Word usage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 10:34 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Blizzard does display that "big dog" attitude you describe, although she only weighs 50 pounds. Buddy, on the other hand, IS a big dog (130 pounds and not even 2 years old) and he knows it, and likes to flaunt it. On more than one occasion I have caught Buddy trying to sit on Blizzard when she was sleeping.
LOL! We had a dog that used to do this, too!

Quote:
I will not stress out my dogs by putting them in proximity to other strange dogs. Which is the purpose of this thread. I'm trying to find a means to keep stress levels to an absolute minimum between everyone involved. I want them to get along, if possible.
I agree. Dog parks are dangerous!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I would board her for those days or however long that other dog will be there. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Just my two cents! I would be very leery...... Better safe than sorry!
Three's a crowd!
Boarding is certainly a consideration. But perhaps more of a "Plan B," just in case introductions do not go as expected. My sister and I will certainly need to be on our toes, keeping all three dogs under constant supervision. Even that may not be enough, but it is worth a try.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Sorry but Buddy finishing a few fights means you let it get out of control. The first time one was injured, you should have taken the measures you seem to be taking now.
You obviously did not grasp the fact that I was not around to be in control.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:50 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Quote:
You obviously did not grasp the fact that I was not around to be in control.
OK, I give up. The fact that you weren't there meant that you should have anticipated incident #2.

But I do like your attitude to discipline as I think that is best. And you clearly love your dogs and want what is best for them. And you are open to the excellant advice you have been given. So yes, I need to stop blaming and get constructive, so I'm sorry. I was just so upset at the idea of dogs fighting when they were alone....

Good luck with your sister's visit.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:43 AM

314 posts, read 1,105,361 times
Blizzard is dog aggressive, and sounds like she's pretty touchy to boot. Your mastiff mix is still a puppy even at 20 months. Even being an intact male, he's probably a lot slower to go into temper.
I believe that they will work things out over time as Buddy matures, but your sister's visit sounds like a recipe for disaster. Your female is going to attack the strange female that's invaded her territory- your sister's bulldog is likely to protect your sister from the threat of an aggressive strange dog with every bit of determination that breed was built for. I would keep them separated at all costs- socializing those two isn't impossibe, but I don't think you're going to accomplish it in the time allowed for a sisterly visit. Good luck.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:11 AM

452 posts, read 1,723,001 times
I don't know if you already said this or not...but...are you planning to have the male neutered? It might help matters a bit IF the female feels she has to assert her dominance over the young upstart. If he's giving her the type of attention she doesn't want, she's gonna keep trying to put him in his place. Maybe she'd rather be a singleton? If she has plenty of chewy things and some background noise to keep her company....that might work best.

If your sister has been apprised of Blizzard's behavior, and she still wants to bring her dog into the mix...then she needs to take charge of HER dog and gate it or do whatever she thinks needs to be done. Esp if you're going to be away during the day.

Keep us informed of what works for you!!

Old 05-17-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
Blizzard is dog aggressive, and sounds like she's pretty touchy to boot. Your mastiff mix is still a puppy even at 20 months. Even being an intact male, he's probably a lot slower to go into temper.
I believe that they will work things out over time as Buddy matures, but your sister's visit sounds like a recipe for disaster. Your female is going to attack the strange female that's invaded her territory- your sister's bulldog is likely to protect your sister from the threat of an aggressive strange dog with every bit of determination that breed was built for. I would keep them separated at all costs- socializing those two isn't impossibe, but I don't think you're going to accomplish it in the time allowed for a sisterly visit. Good luck.
I think you are probably right. The dogs have access to an outside kennel via a doggy door in the garage, and I just finished setting up a separate dog run in the backyard. I can keep Blizzard (muzzled of course) and Buddy restricted to the garage and kennel, and put Jersey on the dog run.

I think I will also feed them separately for the first couple days, maybe longer.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLexee View Post
I don't know if you already said this or not...but...are you planning to have the male neutered? It might help matters a bit IF the female feels she has to assert her dominance over the young upstart. If he's giving her the type of attention she doesn't want, she's gonna keep trying to put him in his place. Maybe she'd rather be a singleton? If she has plenty of chewy things and some background noise to keep her company....that might work best.

If your sister has been apprised of Blizzard's behavior, and she still wants to bring her dog into the mix...then she needs to take charge of HER dog and gate it or do whatever she thinks needs to be done. Esp if you're going to be away during the day.

Keep us informed of what works for you!!
No, I do not plan on having Buddy neutered. I think the health risks outweigh the benefits. Buddy is very good natured, and as you say, slow to temper. He established dominance over Blizzard by the time he was only 6 months old.

Blizzard only likes Buddy's toys and only if he shows interest in them. She won't play with the toys I buy her. She will take one of Buddy's toys and parade in front of him with his toy in her mouth. Sometimes Buddy ignores her, other times he gets excited and follows her around, to her delight. Blizzard is wagging her tail and is a happy camper if she can pester Buddy. Eventually Blizzard will lay down with Buddy's toy and Buddy will come over and very slowly take it from her. She does not bite him, she is wagging her tail and growling at the same time. It is all part of the game. Once Buddy has the toy he loses interest in it, and Blizzard comes over and takes it away from him. Then the game starts all over again.

We both need to be in control of our own respective dogs, no question about that. I am going to have my sister introduce me to Jersey first, without my dogs being around. Maybe if I can establish some trust with Jersey she will accept my pooches a little easier.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:32 PM

I should point out that Blizzard was 2.5 years old when I had to put Shasta down at 13.5 years old. I did not plan on getting another dog at that time. I wanted to wait until Blizzard got to be 7 or 8 years old. However, Blizzard changed after Shasta was no longer around. She become listless, didn't want to play, ate infrequently, and just stared at the wall most of the day. I had originally thought that Shasta and Blizzard did not get along well, but apparently they had formed some sort of bond.

About three months after I had to put Shasta down I got Buddy. He was 8 weeks old at the time, and I noticed an immediate improvement in Blizzard's demeanor. She still would not play with me, but she played with Buddy all the time and both her energy and appetite returned. They have been inseparable ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs