Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:40 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingBear View Post
Please, please get some professional help - for the dogs, not you. Aggressive behavior is usually a learned behavior and almost anything learned can be unlearned with the proper training and time.
Aggression can be learned, true enough, but it can also be part of their personality.

Quote:
Is Blizzard a shelter dog?
I rescued Blizzard from a no-kill shelter when she was 8 weeks old. She was one of 9 puppies, but she was the only puppy that crawled over all her other siblings to bite me. When I walked to the other side of the kennel, she crawled over her siblings again, just to bite me. That was a clear indication to me that she was either psychotic or meant to be my dog.

Quote:
Do you know her history?
Yes.
Quote:
Was she an only dog until Buddy?
No. I had another dog, a 9 year old mixed Black Lab/Golden Retriever spayed female named Shasta when I brought Blizzard home at 8 weeks of age. Shasta tolerated Blizzard as a puppy, but always growled when Blizzard invaded her space. However, I did notice an improvement in Shasta health a few months after I brought Blizzard home.

Blizzard was about 2 years old when I brought Shasta and her to a friend's house who also owned two dogs (a Golden Retriever male, and a German Shepard female, both fixed). As I let Shasta and Blizzard into my friends yard, Blizzard, without warning or provocation, attacked Shasta. Shasta was much bigger (more than double Blizzard's weight) and could have easily put Blizzard in her place, but she just stood there and allowed Blizzard to bite the back of her neck. I had to intervene and physically lift Blizzard off of Shasta. It was definitely an attack, and not play. When Blizzard saw that I was angry with her, she immediately became submissive to me. Shasta acted like nothing happened, even though she was bleeding from two puncture marks on the back of her neck.

At the time, I figured the attack was the result of some sign that I missed. Shasta had entered first, and if Blizzard felt she was the dominant female, could have perceived it as a challenge to her authority. Naturally, that was only a guess on my part trying to rationalize what appeared to be her completely irrational behavior.

I had to put Shasta down when she was 13.5 years old. Despite Shasta's growling whenever Blizzard got near, they did form a bond. That was made apparent to me after just a few days with Blizzard by herself. Without Shasta she no longer wanted to play fetch or take walks in the woods. She stayed in her doggy-bed most of the day and would stare blankly at the wall. That is when I got Buddy, also at 8 weeks old.

I stayed home for four days when I got Buddy, just so I could make certain they got along together. As a puppy Buddy always wanted to play, and Blizzard was eager to comply. She was very gentle with Buddy, allowing him to crawl all over her without complaint. Blizzard also appeared much happier and began to play with me again and go on walks (although the walks were shorter then because Buddy was just a puppy).

On the fifth day after I brought Buddy home, I went back to work and left them both alone for 10 hours. When I got home I found that Blizzard had attacked Buddy viciously. The vet bill was just under $200 to get Buddy fixed up. That is when I started muzzling Blizzard whenever I had to leave them alone.

Keeping them separate was not an option since the entire purpose of having two dogs is so they can keep each other company when I was not at home. Muzzling was the only viable option.

Quote:
Even diet can contribute to bad behavior.
I have an open bowl policy with my dogs. They eat the same kibble from the same bowl, and drink water from the same bowl. Blizzard has never shown any signs of food aggression.

Quote:
Do you have the time to give these dogs an hour of hard exercise a day?
Yes. When I am at work they have access to my fenced backyard and my home via a doggy-door. When I get home we play fetch and then I take them for a walk in the woods. Even when it is raining or snowing.

Quote:
Do you have a thorough knowledge of the needs of the breeds?
Yes, and since both my dogs are mixed breeds, their needs are also mixed. Both have Labrador in them, and they both enjoying playing fetch and going hunting with me. However, Blizzard also likes to run and Buddy likes to pull. Both are working dogs, and if I give them something to do they are quite happy. When I take them hunting with me, Blizzard runs ahead and flushes out the grouse and ptarmigan for me to shoot, while Buddy walks beside me carrying my extra ammunition and water bottles.

Quote:
A good trainer can help you decide if you truly have a bad dog.
Unnecessary. An aggressive dog is not a "bad" dog. I concluded that the problem between Blizzard and Shasta was my fault for putting two dominant females together. That is why I got Buddy after I had to put Shasta down.

Blizzard (now 7) and Buddy (now 2) play together all the time. Often they will lay on the floor facing either other and mouth-wrestle. But both dogs can be very competitive, so I need to supervise their play. When the play ramps up, I tell them "enough" and they both stop. However, when I am not home to supervise they both can play pretty rough. I do not believe either intends harm against the other. Even though Buddy is only two years old he weighs 130 pounds compared to Blizzard's 60 pounds. Buddy is very gentle, and loves everyone he meets, people and dogs alike. Blizzard, on the other hand, is very skittish around strangers and strange dogs. Both were trained by me and socialized with other people and dogs as puppies, so the difference between the two behaviors has to be with their different personalities.

Last edited by Glitch; 05-12-2010 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs