Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:53 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times

Advertisements

SunInHair - you have to do what you have to do. You must be able to feel that your home is safe for yourself and your guests. You tried. That is more than most can do. You gave him love and ensured that his days were filled with health and love. Bless you for what you were able to do.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:12 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
The OP did go above and beyond but she should not have euthanized Hobbs. I'm sorry but I don't feel sorry for you, I feel sorry for Hobbs. I only hope that you will think twice before you adopt again--you clearly made poor decisions in this case.
For that, I think you deserve to be faced with a decision between living with a maladjusted, dangerous, un-adoptable dog who has injured members of your family and putting that dog down.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:09 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Sorry but I don't care what the "good" reason is for euthing a dog... no one who believes that this is an option should own a dog.
BTW, I am trying to remain civil. I was able to post without resorting to name-calling or profanity; I just happen to not agree wit the OP's decision.
Furthermore, the OP never should have owned this dog. This dog should have been placed somewhere that it would not have been euthanized, such as a no-kill shelter or perhaps a single-person household with no men and no other animals. Proper placement would probably have saved Hobb's life and would have prevented the OP et al. from going through all of this.

IF sun had elected to to TRY to find a rescue to take this dog ..... had she been honest about why she was giving the dog up, do you REALLY think they would have taken him?? rescues and shelters are overflowing with dogs and other pets that are way more adoptable with no history of unprovoked biting.....

if you're going to be pissy with someone .... be pissy with the person who made hobbs like this..... the person who obviously abused this poor dog when he was still a pup and created this unstable adult...... i am extremely fortunate that bailey was able to overcome her bad beginning... she has come a LOOOOONG way in the 4 years that she has been mine .... but I am still angered on a daily basis by whoever did whatever they did to her to make her as fearful and quirky as she is........

and if sun had NOT been honest about why she was giving him up, how many other homes do you think he would have cycled through before this inevitable end was reached??

at least hobbs spent quality time with people who obviously loved him and cared for him and did not suffer the horrible end that was most likely his fate had he been given up to a shelter again and again and again and again........

each of you being critcal, i challenge you to take an abused and damaged dog into your own home and make it all better with training.......

otherwise, please just refrain from posting your criticism here..... PLEASE.....

Old 07-30-2009, 06:18 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
maybe we should euthanize all the "difficult" dogs so there will be no need for humane society, rescue organizations and no "bad" dog to deal with.
You made many posts here all showing how conflicted you are about putting this dog down. If you really think this dog needs another chance, send a PM to this poster and take this dog.
On the other hand, how would you feel if Hobbs were a human Serial Killer?
Every living thing that is unable to live in society has been abused in some way. That is not our fault. There are some relationships that just cannot be saved. This dog is dangerous and even if the Op didn't do everything exactly right by him, she did the best she knew how and maybe that should have been enough to earn his trust.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:46 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,576,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I'm sorry but I just can't believe the above statement. And the rescue said ok?! .
The single lady has a farm and her livestocks were kept being stolen. She suspects someone who is a male and wants a dog who will guard and alert. The condition of her adoption is to take the dog to a training class and reactive dog class. She had a rotti before and the rotti passed away recently. The new rotti fits in her home perfectly. She also has a big space that she can hold the rotti somewhere else when there are visitors. But she is following the condition and she is the one who drive one hour each way to attend the dog training class that teaches redirect, calm, and relaxation techniques.

Yes, there are many problem dogs in this society. There are also many problem human beings too. As I get involved in this “dog lover” society, I notice many interesting human traits. Some, who just wants to make money at all cost of the animals. Some, who just wants to be praised and acted as Mighty GOD. Some, who “loves” animal so much that, has reached a point that he or she can no longer care for the number of animals he or she can care. Some… This is totally off the topic now.

Among all my posts, I have never said that Sun is a bad person. She, in my view, is a normal caring person. She didn’t get Hobbs to make money or to be added to one of her many animal collections. She wanted to do the right thing so she adopt. Unfortunately, she adopted an extremely fearful dog who bites. I feel sorry for her. I just feel that a less stimulating environment may be more suitable for that dog. I will not judge her or view her differently whether she saves or euthanizes this dog or not. And I am not on this forum to be popular. I am on the forum to state my opinion. And I start to realize I am stating my opinion to ..

And to yukiko11, if Hobbs is a serial human killer, I will take him and analyze what give him the strength to kill “so many” human. Did Hobbs kill any human? If he did bite with an intent to kill, he should be put down. Did he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
There are some relationships that just cannot be saved. .
Such as the relationship between Japanese and Chinese? Just kidding!

Last edited by LingLing; 07-30-2009 at 08:57 AM..

Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
you do whats best for you and your family. nobody else matters.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:54 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
IF sun had elected to to TRY to find a rescue to take this dog ..... had she been honest about why she was giving the dog up, do you REALLY think they would have taken him?? rescues and shelters are overflowing with dogs and other pets that are way more adoptable with no history of unprovoked biting.....

if you're going to be pissy with someone .... be pissy with the person who made hobbs like this..... the person who obviously abused this poor dog when he was still a pup and created this unstable adult...... i am extremely fortunate that bailey was able to overcome her bad beginning... she has come a LOOOOONG way in the 4 years that she has been mine .... but I am still angered on a daily basis by whoever did whatever they did to her to make her as fearful and quirky as she is........

and if sun had NOT been honest about why she was giving him up, how many other homes do you think he would have cycled through before this inevitable end was reached??

at least hobbs spent quality time with people who obviously loved him and cared for him and did not suffer the horrible end that was most likely his fate had he been given up to a shelter again and again and again and again........

each of you being critcal, i challenge you to take an abused and damaged dog into your own home and make it all better with training.......

otherwise, please just refrain from posting your criticism here..... PLEASE.....
That's just it; I wouldn't take a dog into my home that I knew I could not properly train or that would have issues with my other animals. There are people who can take in and rehab animals with issues; the problem is people who think that they can do it, fail and then end up euthing the dog anyway.
As I said before, animals need to be properly placed. And again, I will state that I am able to post without calling others names ("pissy") and those of you who are unable to control yourselves should not be posting.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:57 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
You made many posts here all showing how conflicted you are about putting this dog down. If you really think this dog needs another chance, send a PM to this poster and take this dog.
On the other hand, how would you feel if Hobbs were a human Serial Killer?
Every living thing that is unable to live in society has been abused in some way. That is not our fault. There are some relationships that just cannot be saved. This dog is dangerous and even if the Op didn't do everything exactly right by him, she did the best she knew how and maybe that should have been enough to earn his trust.
You obviously don't realize that the OP has already put the dog down. Furthermore, just because the OP was not successful with this dog does not mean that he may not have been successful had he been placed in a more suitable home.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,576,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you do whats best for you and your family. nobody else matters.
Excellent advice !!!! I will do the same from now on.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:30 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
That's just it; I wouldn't take a dog into my home that I knew I could not properly train or that would have issues with my other animals. There are people who can take in and rehab animals with issues; the problem is people who think that they can do it, fail and then end up euthing the dog anyway.
As I said before, animals need to be properly placed. And again, I will state that I am able to post without calling others names ("pissy") and those of you who are unable to control yourselves should not be posting.
how many people out there want to get a pet that has problems from the get go? i bought a puppy from a breeder because i wanted to mold the dog into the perfect pet for me. i didnt want any extra baggage that could complicate things. getting a pet is a choice we make to improve the quality of our lives. i assume people must get satisfaction from taking an abused dog and giving it a better life. i hope thats the case.

ill tally the success (in my opinion) of adopted dogs in my family. 2 good, 4 bad. i havent asked the owners, but i wonder if they get extra satisfaction from the dogs that arent as good due to the fact that they adopted them.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 07-30-2009 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs